• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Planning my first SJI cruise

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Loved that article Bruce. Had to laugh at a couple of points. Yes it can get more than lumpy off PT Wilson if you have an outgoing tide being met by swells or a westerly wind. Many moon ago in my old E27 I had the thermos of coffee which I had 'safely" stowed in the sink levitate out and smash itself on the forward bulkhead during one such crossing.

The big hint is if you get there and see the conditions aren't optimal, swing north towards Partridge point and cross there instead of staying close to Wilson. You won't get as big a push out but it won't be such a carnival ride either. There is a very shallow shelf extending along the West side of PT. Wilson that speeds the water up considerably and magnifies the effect. As you head towards the northern side of Admiralty it drops off quickly to 300+ feet and slows down a bit.

If you have sharp eyes you will be able to see exactly where the rip line is and can make a bee line for the nearest crossing point to get to smoother waters. Although one caution with this, if you are heading west at the start of the ebb instead of the end of the ebb, that rip and the calm water behind it is moving away from you at about as fast as your boat can go. End result is you stay in the washing machine for hours before you get through.

Fun little piece of water as long as you plan and make it work for you instead of against you. Right now I'm hearing some groaning from my crew about our annual ladies cruise in July since they have been informed Hydro Therapy is leaving the dock at 7am whether they are on board or not, and some of them have a fairly long drive to get there. The tide waits for no man (or woman).

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Alright, planning this out a little more concretely:

6/29 crew arrives

6/30
- Depart Eagle Harbor
- Arrive Langley Harbor

depart Eagle Harbor relatively early to make it to Langley in a leisurely manner, tides generally favorable, not too concerned about it. Already made a reservation @ langley for the moorage.

7/1
- Depart Langley Harbor
- Transit Deception Pass
- Arrive Lopez Island somewhere (Maybe Orcas?)

This is a big day as it would be my first Deception Pass crossing...based on current tides (looking at deepzoom.com) and assuming it takes about 3.5-4 hours @ 6kts from Langley to the bridge, I should leave Langley around 5AM to make it to the bridge at the end of ebb / start of slack. Does this sound right? I'm a little nervous about this one. Getting through Deception Pass at this time would also give me favorable current to get up farther into the SJI's, which would be great. It looks like if I stay east and hug Burrows Bay, I avoid the remainder of the adverse current until it's be time to cross Rosario Strait. I'm thinking for the sake of my 3 non-sailor crew members, cutting the day there somewhere around Lopez would be good, else we could push on to Deer Harbor or maybe anchor in Eastsound. They'd probably appreciate the chance to walk around by then.

7/3
- Depart Lopez or Orcas
- Arrive Sucia Island

Sucia has been on MY to-do list for a while, so I'd really like to make it up there. Looks like an easy shot from Lopez or Orcas and we could make it in time for the "changing of the boats", hopefully scoring a mooring. I'd also like to get there early enough to hike around and such.

7/4
- Depart Sucia Island
- Arrive Fisherman's Harbor, Lopez

Make it to Fisherman's Harbor for the fireworks is the big goal here.

7/5:
Depart Fisherman's Harbor, Lopez
Arrive Port Townshend

If we leave in the morning, we'll have favorable current to get us down towards Point Wilson, with the tide switching in the middle. Do I basically do the reverse of everyone's outbound Pt. Wilson advice to get back down that way in relative comfort? Reservation @ Pt. Townshend in the evening so no worries there.

7/6:
Depart Port Townshend
Arrive Eagle Harbor

And that's a wrap!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Timing is always a concern at Deception Pass. We left Everett one morning, picked up our crab pot, and made the Pass and then Watmough Bay afterwards. I don't have the times from the log with me, but it was a long day. Watmough Bay is another hour after the Pass, just about straight across Rosario strait on Lopez. It is relatively small, with good holding and some buoys.

Also, Hunter Bay and Mud Bay are good anchoring stops at the south end of Lopez. Both are bigger than Watmough Bay. Hunter Bay is deeper and has plenty of room. Use Lopez Pass which is a little further north and it points you right at Hunter Bay as you exit.

Bowman Bay is right around the corner from the Pass, too. Deception Pass state park surrounds it. We've not stayed there but it gets pretty good reviews. Check the guides.

Have fun!

Second Star

Member III
McArthur Bank south of Lopez can be lumpy during the tidal run. You can see the water welling up and steer clear, earlier the better for a smooth ride. Never been to the north of the bank where it is very deep but that might be a less boisterous area as well.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Me too!

And I think Achates (E-34 out of Bremerton) may be there too.... mini rendezvous!

Bruce

Do you have moorage reservations or anything? I have a friend who had a connection w/ a mooring ball there so I was gonna raft up, but I'm starting to feel like I can't rely on that plan.. just wondering what my potential alternatives may be.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Sounds like a great trip. In Langley the pizza joint just up from the marina has a chicken Caesar salad pizza that is fantastic (yes it sounds strange but was really really good. The bistro across the street from there has clams with Chorizo sausage that is out of this world (hint, instead of getting a lot of extra bread to soak up the sauce, get an order of kids buttered spaghetti noodles and throw in the pan).

Hunter Bay on Lopez is a great place to anchor coming out of Deception. Can be a lot of boats there but always plenty of room with great holding bottom and well protected. If it is a long day and you are late getting in you can always find room there to anchor.

On your way back through Admiralty inlet, it is best to pass Point Wilson on an incoming tide at least 2 hours after the tide change to miss the majority of the 'lumpiness'. Still enough swirls to swing you around a bit but much smoother.

And you do know about getting in and out of Fisherman's cove? Watch your charts and depth sounder!

Enjoy the trip and may the weather gods smile upon you!

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Do you have moorage reservations or anything?

I have a friend who says they'll be there, but no confirmation.

As a backup plan, I called for a slip at the Lopez Islander, but... they have a 3-night minimum, and I have other places to go.

So... status is unclear at this point. In fact, it's probably more likely that I'll be at Point Hudson for the "fireworks at the fort" on the 4th...

B

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
So, looking at trying to squeeze an extra day of actual Island-time while up there, I'm contemplating the return trip home. Looking at the currents on http://deepzoom.com/, there are a couple options, but I defer to everyone's sage advice as I'm not super familiar with Strait conditions.

If we were to take 7/5 and have a long day on San Juan Island, we could leave in the evening around 3-5PM or so in order to make the last 2 hours of a pretty huge tide swing by Point Wilson. The problem is that it looks like we'd be fighting a building current coming through Cattle Pass - what're conditions like there? We'd end the night at Port Townshend where I already have a reservation, and then have a more leisurely trip home the next day.

If we did the LONG day on 7/6 I'd have to leave around 3AM to make the last 2 hours of flood by Point Wilson, but that's a relatively small tide swing -- right after that we'd be fighting a pretty big opposing current the entire way down the Sound until it changes in the evening. Seems almost not worth the fight. Alternatively we just leave pretty late so we can catch the similarly huge flood back down the Sound towards Bainbridge.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
... fighting a building current coming through Cattle Pass - what're conditions like there?

I don't have my tables handy, so no specifics, but... the currents going through Cattle Pass are no joke. Its a choke-point where a lot of water has to get through in a hurry, like (but not as much as) Deception Pass. The full current can be 4-5kts.

There are those who believe that hugging the edges of the pass can be a way to skirt around the strongest flow, but.... I, personally, don't like to be all that close to dirt when I'm transiting a channel I don't really know. Maybe others with (far) more experience than me can chime in.

If you're *through* by the time the current builds in earnest, you'll be fine. But if the option is to be headed South through the pass at peak current... I'd recommend looking at other options.

Edited to add a link to a decent article on currents in the pass

https://oceantrawleryachts.com/dont-go-aground-sound-come-grief-reef-cattle-pass/

$.02
Bruce

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Sailing out of Port Angeles, The two normal routes for me are Haro Straights (the long way) and Cattle Pass (the short way). If heading out to the Gulf Islands, Haro Straights is the way of choice. To the San Juan's, Cattle Pass is the way of choice. I would not run Cattle Pass against the tide (although I have). Takes an overly long time and you get bounced around a lot. When going with the tide, the ride can be exciting. Not recommended for the first timer. If coming up from Deception Pass, I would recommend going through one of the passes west of Anacortes. It saves the long sometimes hard beat up the Straights. Going from Cattle Pass to Port Townsend can be a fun, full blast reach. While you can hug the shore if you are a good navigator, it's not recommended. I did that bounce off a rock thing once and I don't recommend it although it turns you into a much better chart reader.

All this area has its tidal challenges. Off Victoria, the tide zooms around the island making for square top waves and the dodging of many rocks can be challenging. Swinging over the top of SJ Island can leave you almost dead stopped at full throttle when the tide is against you.

None of this is meant to scare anyone. The islands are beautiful and the currents lazy around them. All of the passes into the islands have their challenges but are interesting. The cruising guides cover them well and are worth having aboard. I use the Canadian tide guide and the Waggoner's tables. I like having something paper to hang onto.

Remember, your boat can handle anything that the area can dish out. The limiting factor is the crew. If you feel comfortable handling your boat, you won't have problems. Have fun.

Teranodon

Member III
Since this thread is becoming a mini cruising guide to the San Juans, here are two random entries:

When coming in to Friday Harbor via the southern entrance, beware of the reef ("Dumbshit Rock") off Brown Island. Just stay in the middle. I race there every Friday, and it's amazing how many visiting boats whack the thing. Incidentally, everyone is welcome to race, no signup needed. No handicaps, no protests, Start at 1600 between the day marker off Brown Island and the nearest white mooring buoy. First boat around Reed Rock (any direction) and back wins. Very competitive, great fun, and an excellent introduction to the San Juan Channel "river".

The Canadian tables/charts don't really have the resolution needed for navigating the complicated current patterns in the islands. I use the free DeepZoom site.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Hey Geoff,

Bucking the current through Cattle pass is no joke. At it's peak it can bring you to a standstill or even make you go backwards.

As an alternative, why don't you leave SJI a bit earlier and have a short day? Get through Cattle pass then do some dinking around and exploring the rocks on the south end of Lopez (With very good charts and depthsounder please). Some striking scenery there. Then pull into Mackaye harbor or Aleck bay and drop anchor for the night to wait for the tide to Port Townsend. It's a quick 3.5 to 4 hours run from either of these two spots to PT if you have the water going with you.

Also you don't need to hit the last 2 hours of flood going past Pt. Wilson, just avoid the first two hours of it. That's when things stack up. If needed you can stay closer to Whidbey and pass closer to Pt. Partridge to miss the majority of the lumps until you get closer to Admiralty head. Then cut across to PT, same as the ferry does.

Enjoy your trip.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Teranodon

Member III
Hey Geoff,

... Then pull into Mackaye harbor or Aleck bay and drop anchor for the night to wait for the tide to Port Townsend. It's a quick 3.5 to 4 hours run from either of these two spots to PT if you have the water going with you.

Here's another reason for spending the night at Mackaye. There's a public dinghy dock. From there, a 10-min walk takes you to the Southend Cafe. It serves good food (including dinner) and there is a small store as well. Nice people. Call ahead to be sure they are open *(360) 468-2315.

The docks at the south end of the bay are off limits. Some of them are left over from the time when this was a thriving fishing port.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Do you have moorage reservations or anything?

Quick update - I just got a call that I've been cleared off the wait-list for a slip at the Islands Marine Center in Fisherman's, July 4th and 5th (they have a 2-night minimum).

I only really planned to stay one night, so if you want to sneak into my slip for the night of the 5th, we should talk about that. They probably wouldn't notice the difference between your 32-III and mine.

Alternatively... it looks like they're actively working through their wait list, so might be worth giving Tina a call to see what the options are.

Bruce