• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New owner - checklist

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lots of possible answers. And all likely useable.
Most similar sized Ericson's will have very similar systems to yours.

I wonder what prior boating experience you can build on?
Our first "real" boat was our Ranger 20, and we raced and cruised it for five years. I did rigging upgrades and built lots of interior cruising projects to make it more comfortable for overnighting.
Leaving the dock only required some occasional cursing at the old two stroke outboard. :rolleyes:

Next was the Niagara 26, for a decade. Again, a lot of projects both inside and outside, and I got to know the boat Very Well. When we found our present boat in 1994, the Olson 34, there were restoration projects to tackle, after if had sat for three years growing mold.

The short list of what to do to get under way was a bit longer for each boat, due to complexity of systems. For basic day sailing, tho, it was not much.

When Kathy took our boat out by herself once for a "ladies cruise" overnighter (meeting up with with other ladies with their own sailboats at a nearby island dock), I composed a one page startup list and on the reverse, a shutdown list to deal with the inboard engine and the power & plumbing systems. She said she liked having it and followed it closely.

Every pilot has a checklist before starting up the engine on their plane.

Your idea seems well-considered.
(Even if you are not gonna fall out of the sky because you overlooked the little valve for a wing tank, there are still a few things that can leave a boat drifting and also the crew's minds all equally adrift. ) :)

First time you get out there and realize that all of the sheets and halyards are coiled and not ready for use.. and all the winch handles are stored Poseidon-knows-where... and as you back out the power cord rips out of the short power connector.... you will start to build that List !!
:0

It will all work out. Let us know how the sailing goes... and post up some pix.

PS: Hope to see you and your boat at the Rendezvous in July !!

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

Great question, and should generate some interesting answers and helpful reminders to us all!
As you know, boats are complex, with so many moving parts, hidden parts, etc. so it's not easy, or even possible to check everything to ensure safe and trouble free cruising. However, there are things one should check or do, in my opinion, which minimize the likelihood of trouble. My list to get you started:

Change engine oil, filter and check for any leaks at the new filter and under the engine
Change primary and secondary fuel filters
Fill fuel tank with good quality fuel (preferably where the commercial tugs and fishermen go, as they know
Check/replace raw water impeller
Check/replace engine coolant
Check/replace transmission fluid
Check/adjust alternator belt tension
Fill the grease cup and snug a bit
Check all hoses for cracks, bulges, softness
Check/tighten hose clamps (but don't overtighten) and replace any rusty ones
Check battery voltage, at rest and when charging, and top up with distilled water if it is a wet cell kind
Run the engine for awhile, watching for smoke, leaks, overheating, shift into gear to test forward/reverse
Check the head--smooth operation, hose clamps, pumpout
Lubricate the rudder zerks on the rudder tube
Check/adjust cable tension on the steering quadrant
Lubricate the chain in the pedestal top
Check throttle and gear shift movement for smooth operation, replacing cables if necessary
Check bilge pump operation
Check running lights, masthead anchor light (in case you get stuck out there and need to anchor out)
Check standing rigging for any "fish hooks"/broken wires, bent swages, missing cotter pins at turnbuckles
Tune rigging to ensure mast is straight and has proper tension
Check winches for smooth operation or service as necessary
Check anchor, anchor rode
Have charts for your area
Check instruments, especially depth sounder for accuracy/operation
Take enough dock lines, fenders in case you end up at another marina
Ensure everything below decks is stowed safely and won't move around under sail
Check VHF radio operation and familiarize yourself with the channels, squelch, etc.(you need a radio operators license to operate it legally in Canada, though I've never been asked for it; Also a Pleasure Craft Operators License)
Lifejackets, flares and other safety equipment as required

Ok, I'm sure I've missed some pretty important items, but this will get you started. I'm sure you and your surveyor have already checked many of these items, so the list may look more daunting than it need be, but it's a start.

Once you have owned your boat for a while, maybe a year or so, you will discover things that you want to change or replace to suit your style and preferences, but these are less critical at the start.

Frank

Last edited:
Thanks Loren, ah yes we will need that check list!

i was thinking more around what are the key items to check when you purchase a new boat. We had a marine and mechanical survey before buying and are working through the recommendations, but are thinking about checks outside of the must do’s identified and fluids, filters and belts. We have been advised to look at changing the water tanks and lines and are working through other systems. Definitely learning about all aspect of the boat!

We previously owned a Matilda 20 and have chartered larger power boats.

Frank Langer

A rudder zerk is a small fitting, one each at the top and bottom of the rudder tube, accessible from inside the cockpit locker. It protrudes from the rudder tube about 1/4 inch or so, and is only about 1/8 inch in diameter, so you have to look for it. You will need a grease gun (like mechanics used to use) and it's a tool to buy as it needs doing once or twice a year to keep the rudder operating smoothly. A large tube of marine grease slides into the grease gun, and the hose of the gun is put on the zerk and then the gun is pumped (maybe a dozen or more times) to grease the tube inside. I like to turn the wheel from side to side to distribute the grease. There may be a metal plate at the back of the cockpit above, which can be removed with a different tool and you can look down inside the rudder tube and see the grease if you have put enough in. That opening is also where the emergency steering tiller fits on the E30+, if the previous owner left it for you.

If you don't grease those zerks the rudder will stiffen, you might start to get water coming up the rudder tube and leaking out of the rudder stuffing box.

Frank

So many things to learn. Thanks for this. I am a little boat obsessed right now, trying to understand and learn as much as possible.

I will compile a list with the recommendations I recieve and post it as a reference for other newbies.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Member II
how to prioritize

Hi,

When you get your list compiled it will be ridiculously long and you will need to figure out some way of prioritizing it.

Please remember that items related to safety/seaworthiness must get top priority.

I found myself forgetting this from time to time and gravitating towards projects that were nice/fun instead of necessary.

Hope that helps,

Peter

thanks Peter, good reminders and a great way to prioritize. Our approach has been to tackle the items from the marine and mechanical surveys first and gearing up everything safety related. We are taking our time getting ready (and waiting for parts), which gives us a bit of an opportunity to dig a bit deeper into learning about the boat.

Shannon aka wannasailsoon

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Perhaps it's time for a thread bump.
It's been a while, and finally we (and most all of our friends) are vaccinated and ready to cruise up to the Gulf Islands again, but of course BC has to open their borders first. Looking unlikely before fall, altho the news & the gossip changes every week or two.
So, how's the LIST? :)
Care to share your experiences?
Regards,
Loren

Teranodon

Member III
It's been a while, and finally we (and most all of our friends) are vaccinated and ready to cruise up to the Gulf Islands again, but of course BC has to open their borders first. Looking unlikely before fall, altho the news & the gossip changes every week or two.

Sure, it will be great when BC lets us back in, but what about the good old San Juans? You can still go to Sucia and Stuart among many, plus the most under-appreciated island of them all, Lopez. In my humble opinion, Watmough Bay is a world-class anchorage. Seriously.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sure, it will be great when BC lets us back in, but what about the good old San Juans? You can still go to Sucia and Stuart among many, plus the most under-appreciated island of them all, Lopez. In my humble opinion, Watmough Bay is a world-class anchorage. Seriously.
I am sure you're right. I do wonder just HOW crowded the US San Juan's will be (or are already)? It might be a real zoo. :(

The list... I have to find it again. Our boat was in relatively good shape, but was a bit tired.

I was thinking about this the other day and laughed out loud. This group is so kind. We really should have listened to Peter's advice.

Hmmm where to start. Obviously in the wrong order because although the first things we added were bright and shiny, I am not sure they were the most important or even necessary. But then again, I am sure a few of us have walked into a marine store and walked out with a few extra items. I am not sure we really need a radio handset in the cockpit in our 30+, but it is handy. Plus both my husband and I love everything to do with sailing and don't tend to hold each other back when there is a new gadget.

So the list.
- new name, and had a design created, but we never did change the name. She will always be Eden.
- new running rigging - learned how to splice and whip a line
- safety equipment
- Engine checks - all the basics
- new heat exchanger
- We took a marine electrical course just before COVID hit and had time to clean up the wiring. Truly, I am surprised the fridge actually worked.
- Had the standing rigging checked
- removed the mast, rewired, tuned the rigging (who knew a mast could form a figure S)***** This made a major difference for raising the main sail and I would move tuning the rig to the top of the list.
- replaced the anchor and deck lights
- added a chart plotter, wireless wind speed indicator, and windex
- New transducer and depth sounder and display
- bought a new toilet seat - no idea why because we ended up pulling out all the sewer lines and replaced the entire head.
- New cushions
- New anchor and rode + purchased a spare anchor (chain and rode)
- replaced the dodger fabric and windows
- Serviced one winch - it was pretty bad - need to do the others
- Bottom paint touch up - going in for a bottom paint at the end of the month (one job we are not doing)
- Replaced the fresh water foot pump
- Had a new cupboard built and removed the microwave (this was one of the first items on the list - no idea why)
- shortened the cockpit table and refinished
- Installed a new radio and hand set in the cockpit
- Oh and everything is connected with a NMEA 2000 backbone
- replaced the propane connection and added a larger tank (this was the first trip we took and discovered our stove didn't work)
- sanded and touched up the woodwork and am trying to bring back the gelcoat

I think that is it. We haven't done much since last fall as it was time to refocus on the house. Not as fun, but necessary. Now we are trying to figure out how to reduce the house and increase the boat, but for now I am starting a new list of projects and prioritizing. Honestly, I love working on the boat, sailing the boat, talking about the boat.

Thanks @Loren Beach for checking in and I hope the borders do open and we can meet this incredible group.

Shannon

-

Frank Langer

The list... I have to find it again. Our boat was in relatively good shape, but was a bit tired.

I was thinking about this the other day and laughed out loud. This group is so kind. We really should have listened to Peter's advice.

Hmmm where to start. Obviously in the wrong order because although the first things we added were bright and shiny, I am not sure they were the most important or even necessary. But then again, I am sure a few of us have walked into a marine store and walked out with a few extra items. I am not sure we really need a radio handset in the cockpit in our 30+, but it is handy. Plus both my husband and I love everything to do with sailing and don't tend to hold each other back when there is a new gadget.

So the list.
- new name, and had a design created, but we never did change the name. She will always be Eden.
- new running rigging - learned how to splice and whip a line
- safety equipment
- Engine checks - all the basics
- new heat exchanger
- We took a marine electrical course just before COVID hit and had time to clean up the wiring. Truly, I am surprised the fridge actually worked.
- Had the standing rigging checked
- removed the mast, rewired, tuned the rigging (who knew a mast could form a figure S)***** This made a major difference for raising the main sail and I would move tuning the rig to the top of the list.
- replaced the anchor and deck lights
- added a chart plotter, wireless wind speed indicator, and windex
- New transducer and depth sounder and display
- bought a new toilet seat - no idea why because we ended up pulling out all the sewer lines and replaced the entire head.
- New cushions
- New anchor and rode + purchased a spare anchor (chain and rode)
- replaced the dodger fabric and windows
- Serviced one winch - it was pretty bad - need to do the others
- Bottom paint touch up - going in for a bottom paint at the end of the month (one job we are not doing)
- Replaced the fresh water foot pump
- Had a new cupboard built and removed the microwave (this was one of the first items on the list - no idea why)
- shortened the cockpit table and refinished
- Installed a new radio and hand set in the cockpit
- Oh and everything is connected with a NMEA 2000 backbone
- replaced the propane connection and added a larger tank (this was the first trip we took and discovered our stove didn't work)
- sanded and touched up the woodwork and am trying to bring back the gelcoat

I think that is it. We haven't done much since last fall as it was time to refocus on the house. Not as fun, but necessary. Now we are trying to figure out how to reduce the house and increase the boat, but for now I am starting a new list of projects and prioritizing. Honestly, I love working on the boat, sailing the boat, talking about the boat.

Thanks @Loren Beach for checking in and I hope the borders do open and we can meet this incredible group.

Shannon

-
Wow, Shannon, have you guys ever done alot! She must be almost like a new boat!!, :)
I'm glad to hear you're both enjoying her so much. The E30+ really is a lovely boat.
Frank

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
With our new boat I'm using the logic that it was a functioning vessel when we bought her and plan to just begin using it as soon as I can. I'll make a list over the summer.
Of course I've gone over critical systems. The boat is not going to sink. I won't be using the refrigerator or watermaker, but I will sail.
Does this seem like a bad idea to anyone?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
With our new boat I'm using the logic that it was a functioning vessel when we bought her and plan to just begin using it as soon as I can. I'll make a list over the summer.
Of course I've gone over critical systems. The boat is not going to sink. I won't be using the refrigerator or watermaker, but I will sail.
Doesn't sound too bad too me, with the qualifier that you've gone over the "critical systems." I do think that the boat not being in imminent danger of sinking is setting the bar a bit low, though. :) But yeah, thinks like the watermaker and refrigerator are not critical to the boat's basic functionality and safety, so those can wait if you prefer.

We logged over 100 days in our first year! Yes, sail.

Our boat was definitely a functioning boat when we bought her. The PO had her for over 20 years and it was his baby, but some of the items were just tired.

The few items that truly made a difference for our sailing included tuning the rigging, replacing the rigging and servicing winches as necessary.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
The rig was inspected and set up by a pro last week. Just finished the last winch an hour ago!

Yes, sail. With my first/last boat I just kept undoing and redoing things. It was seven years later that we went in the water. Not this time.