Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Show me your interior cushions!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sati View Post
    Well, it's good to know what it was called at least. That gives me some sense of "closure." What sort of fabric would you describe the "Salute" / original fabric as? Is it plush/velvet-ish? I know it has a "nap" to it (where you can sort of draw lines in the fabric with your fingers). I'm having a hard time telling fabric stores what I'm looking for.

I should probably just bring one of the smaller cushions along while shopping...as was mentioned earlier in the thread
    Yup. That is the original fabric used by EY. Kind of a "plush velvet" feel, but very tough and it still looks great on our '88 boat.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Loki interior

Replaced ours last year. Used a local Auto interior guy, who also does marine interiors. Using the original cushions as a template, he made our ~30 year old interior look new again. Used Sunbrella exterior on the bottoms, and Sunbrella marine interior material on the visible parts. The Admiral is extremely pleased.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V Bearth.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	25904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Setees..jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	25903
    Craig T. Olsen
    Ericson/Olson 34 "Loki"
    Mystic, CT

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CTOlsen View Post
    Replaced ours last year. Used a local Auto interior guy, who also does marine interiors. Using the original cushions as a template, he made our ~30 year old interior look new again. Used Sunbrella exterior on the bottoms, and Sunbrella marine interior material on the visible parts. The Admiral is extremely pleased.

Name:	V Bearth.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	25904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Setees..jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	25903
    That's one great looking interior, from overhead to sole!
    Not surprised that your Admiral is pleased. (I recall reading about a species of bird where the male builds an very attractive nest in order to attract the female.... !)
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 01-19-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries

E-32-3 Interior Cushions

A friend just sent these over to me. He has a pristine 32-3. This shows how the propane heater fits on the bulkhead above the settee, as well.
    AFAIK these are not the factory cushions, however -- pattern was different as I recall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E-32-3 larger view.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	25946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E-32-3 settee.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	25947  
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 01-19-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, folks - i found a "plush sateen" that I think will continue the interior spirit I enjoy so much right now:

https://topfabric.com/products/satee...nt=16599880513

And decently affordable on sale. Now to obsess over v-berth foam for a while.

Name:	basil.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	350.9 KB 
ID:	25967
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    Ok, foam time. Current quotes are $570 for a sheet of 2.5 density 4" thick foam, enough for the whole v berth. Alternate quote is a little over $1k for the supposedly very nice Latex foam. I didn't feel a $500 difference in comfort when I tried them out, but am curious about the durability and other qualities of one vs the other. Anyone spring for the expensive stuff and feel good about it? Anyone doing just fine with the "cheaper" alternative?
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Man, I spent less than that for enough foam to cover the whole boat. I think the vendor was ”Mr. Foam” or something like, on EBay.
    Although after opening the compressed bundles, the stack of foam really stank up the whole basement with plastic fumes. It had to “air out” for a couple of months.
    http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...tic-Fun-Part-1
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

Blog Entries
    Is that crazy? I mean, yeah it is objectively, but an upholsterer quoted me the same for foam up here. I can find similar sheets of 2540 foam online for around $300 without shipping, or being cut to spec by the shop.

*edit*

Called a place in PDX, they wouldn't ship it vacuumed so shipping is prohibitively expensive, so I'd be looking at:

$290 or so for the foam sheet
    $60 or so for the cuts
    $40 for gas
    So let's call it $400 and a road trip to Portland

If I was able to order all the foam in one go, it'd probably be worth the trip but I unfortunately don't have the resources (nor does my buddy making the cushions have the time) to do my entire boat at once....so then I'm storing foam in my studio apartment................

Anyone got any other ideas?
    Last edited by Geoff W.; 01-31-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Sustaining Member
    At some point, somebody replaced mine with nearly identical ones that had red dots, rather than the white. It's amazing how different they looked after a simple good wash.

When I replaced the ones in an RV, I bought the foam and fabric and had a local seamstress make the covers. Don't remember how much she charged in labor for the little ones or the total bill, but the bed sized one was something like $85.

Every larger city has a big place which sells surplus rolls of fabric and has all the other supplies. This place happens to be near us, is huge, and will ship. Their marine vinyl is about a half of what it would cost at Joanne Fabric. http://www.discountfabricsusacorp.com/vinyl.html

I agree with the others about using furniture upholstery for the interior and for the RV I selected a nice couch material which had a great feel and had stain treatment, but it wore like iron.

Pick up an electric kitchen knife and you can cut the foam yourself very easily. Mine were a very firm cushion (2 layers of 2"), with a 1" soft layer on that of memory foam, topped by some thin batting.
    Last edited by Tin Kicker; 01-31-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    On the subject of cushions....I had several pieces of canvas to take into a repair shop (sail cover and dodger) and the guy said he would do "minor" work on cushions, too. I always wanted to have the quarterberth cushion cut down in size. No one ever sleeps there, it's prime storage space, and that was the biggest, bulkiest cushion on board.

I cut the cushion to be just a chart-table seat cushion and the canvas guy was able to sew it up as a zippered cushion. That left several feet of fabric leftover if I need to patch other cushions in the future.

Name:	20190128_212848.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	26052

Name:	20190130_152538-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	26054

Works for me....
    Last edited by Kenneth K; 02-01-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: rotated photo
    Ken
    '85 E32-3 "Mariah" #641
    Universal M-25

"Saltwater is the cure; sweat, tears, or the sea......"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth K View Post
    Works for me....
    I like that idea - I will probably have the q-berth cut into two pieces, the nav station one being smaller for easier battery / electronics access as required.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    Allow me to contribute an idea which is working for me.

A sheet of stiff plastic, or even masonite, cut to fit the qberth.

It covers the cushion/cushions, allowing heavy stuff such as inflatables or cases of beer to easily slide, rather than tear at the fabric.

When the qberth is for sleeping, just slide the plastic surface under the foam.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Rascal red

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn Judson View Post
    Goeff, I just don't know. Some in the business say it isn't, yet others have told method they have found it through their known sources. It is well worth searching for but if not that, a similar fabric. Glyn
    I am in the upholstery business. We made sofas from the fabric many moons ago. Very durable and popular in a red and blue. I have not seen it in many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sati View Post
    Ok, foam time. Current quotes are $570 for a sheet of 2.5 density 4" thick foam, enough for the whole v berth. Alternate quote is a little over $1k for the supposedly very nice Latex foam. I didn't feel a $500 difference in comfort when I tried them out, but am curious about the durability and other qualities of one vs the other. Anyone spring for the expensive stuff and feel good about it? Anyone doing just fine with the "cheaper" alternative?

I think cutting down a memory foam sleeper mat may be an option. 2.5 foam is nice. Remember density is different than firmness. Density refers to the amount foam vs air. A minimum of 1.8 and up. A denser foam will hold up better for the same firmness to a point. On a 1 lb foam you can feel the cells collapse. All foams will soften with time

https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-4-5-...mattress&psc=1

Upholstery Fabric

Does anyone know the name of this upholstery fabric, or if it is still available?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth K View Post
    On the subject of cushions....I had several pieces of canvas to take into a repair shop (sail cover and dodger) and the guy said he would do "minor" work on cushions, too. I always wanted to have the quarterberth cushion cut down in size. No one ever sleeps there, it's prime storage space, and that was the biggest, bulkiest cushion on board.

I cut the cushion to be just a chart-table seat cushion and the canvas guy was able to sew it up as a zippered cushion. That left several feet of fabric leftover if I need to patch other cushions in the future.

Name:	20190128_212848.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	26052

Name:	20190130_152538-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	26054

Works for me....