• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Show me your interior cushions!

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hi all,

Looking at starting the slow and expensive process of replacing my interior cushions. As such, an overwhelming variety of options are available to me regarding fabric color, design, material, etc. I really love the current factory upholstery, the green suede-ish fabric with white dots, but alas - I hear it's no longer available.

I'd like to see how y'all have your cushions set up, do you have piping, do you like your materials, what sort of colors do you use, and so on.

Current color frontrunners are either green or some shade of red, so if you have pics of that - I'm especially interested.

For reference, my current interior pic is below

PANO_20180812_131318.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...lonious-II-Revised-Cabin-Table-New-Upholstery

I went with piping made from the vinyl cushion bottoms.

My theory of fabric selection is to take a cushion to a big (discount) fabric outlet. You can see all the choices, feel them, compare to what you have. I consider the interior upholstery a "couch," meaning same fabric options as a living room couch.

New foam is equally demanding of hands-on selection--and of even more second thoughts than fabric. And also often more expensive.

As everyone always says--avoid "Specialty Marine Upholsterers". None of this job is specialized marine.

gadangit

Member III
Before Christmas I bypassed the committee and selected fabric unsupervised. I made the cushion myself with new foam as well. The goal was a bit brighter and solid color. The fabric is the not inexpensive micro suede, but i figured the total cost was still less if i made it.

Our old cushions are a very similar color to yours, this new blue definitely took some darkness out of the interior.
20181219_125837.jpg
The committee is still in session and once an opinion is rendered I'll make the rest.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
The PO commissioned these cushions from a furniture restoration shop in Chestertown MD. I love them, very comfortable.

1987-ericson--28.jpg

Navman

Member III
Shoe me your interior

IMG_2487.jpghere are our salon cushions on the Optimist II. The fabric is very durable yet not abrasive. We still have the solid navy blue cushions in the V berth and the aft pilot berth.

Chris A.

Member III
Another data point

Sunbrella with naugahyde (sp?) backing and snaps that never seem to need snapping. Had a non-marine person make them up using the old ones as the pattern. Not perfect but half the price of the marine upholsterer's estimate. Blue piping on the front of the seat bottom cushions that you can barely see, but I guess I would do the piping again. Can't remember the details on the foam - it was a standard type - but FIRM is my preference.

Good luck.

IMG_2236.jpg

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi all,

Looking at starting the slow and expensive process of replacing my interior cushions. As such, an overwhelming variety of options are available to me regarding fabric color, design, material, etc. I really love the current factory upholstery, the green suede-ish fabric with white dots, but alas - I hear it's no longer available.

I'd like to see how y'all have your cushions set up, do you have piping, do you like your materials, what sort of colors do you use, and so on.

Current color frontrunners are either green or some shade of red, so if you have pics of that - I'm especially interested.

For reference, my current interior pic is below

View attachment 25860

Here's a photo of our '73 E-32 showing the cushion re-do from a while back. Since this photo, we've replaced all the bulkheads, put in PlasTeak flooring in the V-berth, head and hanging locker areas plus in the galley.

On the seat backs I went with a wider and thicker horizontal pleated design to replace the original more narrow and flatter vertical pleats. Given the newer boats are wider than the '73 model - this visually helps make the boat look a little wider.

The material chosen was a solid color replacing the old plaid material as well. The seat cushions made use of the old foam but did have a vinyl bottom for better wear and protection against moisture. I'm now looking to create an addition of some sort of slip cover to the seat cushions that would add a layer of foam to increase the thickness and add a single pleat for aesthetics. (This way it could be removed for creating a flat sleeping surface when [now rarely] needed.)

CaryOn Interior.jpg

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Thanks for sharing, everyone. Some great ideas here. I think I'd like piping again but I'm not sure dark red/burgundy or green lend themselves to alternate color piping - anyone want to prove me wrong?

I have a bunch of fabric samples coming from Sunbrella and Ultrasuede etc....I really don't like the texture of Sunbrella, even the upholstery stuff, especially when considering sleeping, but Ultrasuede is something like $100/yd from SailRite. I guess I put a sheet over the cushions anyways so maybe Sunbrella wouldn't be that bad? An argument towards the high quality stuff is the consideration that this is likely the last interior the boat will ever have.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sunbrella exterior is UV resistant. That's why we use it on deck, and why it's superb.

I see no reason to use it below--and the Sunbrella interior line is just another fabric competing with thousands of interior fabrics.

All basic upholstery fabric is tough: a livingroom couch takes more punishment and spillage and abuse than any cushion on a boat, at least if there are kids and dogs and pizza around.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Interior cushions

Goeff, Sherene & Mike in their 38 have the identical fabric we selected for our boat. That stuff is bulletproof and hides stains and dirt from the two of us, many nieces, guests and always two big dogs I'd guess that we had them made around 1997 and they still look as good as new today. Glyn Judson E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Hull #55, Saloon.JPG
    Hull #55, Saloon.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 451

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Goeff, Sherene & Mike in their 38 have the identical fabric we selected for our boat.

Glyn, is that fabric still made? It looks basically like the factory fabric with denser polka dots. Pretty close to what I'm hoping for.

Glyn Judson

Is it still made?

Goeff, I just don't know. Some in the business say it isn't, yet others have told method they have found it through their known sources. It is well worth searching for but if not that, a similar fabric. Glyn

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Salute" fabric

Goeff, I just don't know. Some in the business say it isn't, yet others have told method they have found it through their known sources. It is well worth searching for but if not that, a similar fabric. Glyn

When we had some upholstery work done in '95, our guy said that he was able to buy a remnant of the dark blue with the white dot pattern.
He said that that particular product line was being phased out at that time and no more would be available.

He gave me the sample panel with all of the color swatches on it as a keepsake.
"Irvin Alan Fabrics" "Salute" #2201 - 2209, 2211 - 2219. 97% Acrylic, 3% Rayon
Scotchgard, and sold 54" wide.

Useless trivia, nowadays.........
:rolleyes:

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Useless trivia

Well, it's good to know what it was called at least. That gives me some sense of "closure." What sort of fabric would you describe the "Salute" / original fabric as? Is it plush/velvet-ish? I know it has a "nap" to it (where you can sort of draw lines in the fabric with your fingers). I'm having a hard time telling fabric stores what I'm looking for.

I should probably just bring one of the smaller cushions along while shopping...as was mentioned earlier in the thread :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, it's good to know what it was called at least. That gives me some sense of "closure." What sort of fabric would you describe the "Salute" / original fabric as? Is it plush/velvet-ish? I know it has a "nap" to it (where you can sort of draw lines in the fabric with your fingers). I'm having a hard time telling fabric stores what I'm looking for.

I should probably just bring one of the smaller cushions along while shopping...as was mentioned earlier in the thread :)

Yup. That is the original fabric used by EY. Kind of a "plush velvet" feel, but very tough and it still looks great on our '88 boat.

CTOlsen

Member III
Loki interior

Replaced ours last year. Used a local Auto interior guy, who also does marine interiors. Using the original cushions as a template, he made our ~30 year old interior look new again. Used Sunbrella exterior on the bottoms, and Sunbrella marine interior material on the visible parts. The Admiral is extremely pleased.
V Bearth.jpgSetees..jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Replaced ours last year. Used a local Auto interior guy, who also does marine interiors. Using the original cushions as a template, he made our ~30 year old interior look new again. Used Sunbrella exterior on the bottoms, and Sunbrella marine interior material on the visible parts. The Admiral is extremely pleased.
View attachment 25904View attachment 25903

That's one great looking interior, from overhead to sole!
Not surprised that your Admiral is pleased. (I recall reading about a species of bird where the male builds an very attractive nest in order to attract the female.... !)
:)

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
E-32-3 Interior Cushions

A friend just sent these over to me. He has a pristine 32-3. This shows how the propane heater fits on the bulkhead above the settee, as well.
AFAIK these are not the factory cushions, however -- pattern was different as I recall.

Attachments

• E-32-3 larger view.jpg
    E-32-3 larger view.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 50
  • E-32-3 settee.jpg
    E-32-3 settee.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: