Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your interior cushions!

Show me your interior cushions!

Hi all,

Looking at starting the slow and expensive process of replacing my interior cushions. As such, an overwhelming variety of options are available to me regarding fabric color, design, material, etc. I really love the current factory upholstery, the green suede-ish fabric with white dots, but alas - I hear it's no longer available.

I'd like to see how y'all have your cushions set up, do you have piping, do you like your materials, what sort of colors do you use, and so on.

Current color frontrunners are either green or some shade of red, so if you have pics of that - I'm especially interested.

For reference, my current interior pic is below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PANO_20180812_131318.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	25860
    Geoff W.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...New-Upholstery

I went with piping made from the vinyl cushion bottoms.

My theory of fabric selection is to take a cushion to a big (discount) fabric outlet. You can see all the choices, feel them, compare to what you have. I consider the interior upholstery a "couch," meaning same fabric options as a living room couch.

New foam is equally demanding of hands-on selection--and of even more second thoughts than fabric. And also often more expensive.

As everyone always says--avoid "Specialty Marine Upholsterers". None of this job is specialized marine.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Blog Entries
    Before Christmas I bypassed the committee and selected fabric unsupervised. I made the cushion myself with new foam as well. The goal was a bit brighter and solid color. The fabric is the not inexpensive micro suede, but i figured the total cost was still less if i made it.

Our old cushions are a very similar color to yours, this new blue definitely took some darkness out of the interior.

Name:	20181219_125837.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	25861
    The committee is still in session and once an opinion is rendered I'll make the rest.
    Chris and Lisa
    1972 Hull #53 Ericson 39 "SolAire"
    San Leon, TX

The PO commissioned these cushions from a furniture restoration shop in Chestertown MD. I love them, very comfortable.

Name:	1987-ericson--28.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	25864
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

Contributing Partner

Shoe me your interior

Name:	IMG_2487.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	25867here are our salon cushions on the Optimist II. The fabric is very durable yet not abrasive. We still have the solid navy blue cushions in the V berth and the aft pilot berth.
    Don Moran, AKA Navman
    1986 E- 38
    S.V. The Optimist II

Contributing Partner kiwisailor's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Came with the boat. Not sure how old they are and they are all vinyl backed.

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	25868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	25869
    Sherene & Mike Taniwha

1981 E38 "KIWI"
    Hull #53
    Groton, CT

Another data point

Sunbrella with naugahyde (sp?) backing and snaps that never seem to need snapping. Had a non-marine person make them up using the old ones as the pattern. Not perfect but half the price of the marine upholsterer's estimate. Blue piping on the front of the seat bottom cushions that you can barely see, but I guess I would do the piping again. Can't remember the details on the foam - it was a standard type - but FIRM is my preference.

Good luck.

Name:	IMG_2236.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	25870
    Chris on Peregrine
    1987 E34 #247 Universal M25XP
    Portland, ME

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sati View Post
    Hi all,

Looking at starting the slow and expensive process of replacing my interior cushions. As such, an overwhelming variety of options are available to me regarding fabric color, design, material, etc. I really love the current factory upholstery, the green suede-ish fabric with white dots, but alas - I hear it's no longer available.

I'd like to see how y'all have your cushions set up, do you have piping, do you like your materials, what sort of colors do you use, and so on.

Current color frontrunners are either green or some shade of red, so if you have pics of that - I'm especially interested.

For reference, my current interior pic is below

Name:	PANO_20180812_131318.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	25860
    Here's a photo of our '73 E-32 showing the cushion re-do from a while back. Since this photo, we've replaced all the bulkheads, put in PlasTeak flooring in the V-berth, head and hanging locker areas plus in the galley.

On the seat backs I went with a wider and thicker horizontal pleated design to replace the original more narrow and flatter vertical pleats. Given the newer boats are wider than the '73 model - this visually helps make the boat look a little wider.

The material chosen was a solid color replacing the old plaid material as well. The seat cushions made use of the old foam but did have a vinyl bottom for better wear and protection against moisture. I'm now looking to create an addition of some sort of slip cover to the seat cushions that would add a layer of foam to increase the thickness and add a single pleat for aesthetics. (This way it could be removed for creating a flat sleeping surface when [now rarely] needed.)

Name:	CaryOn Interior.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	25871

Thanks for sharing, everyone. Some great ideas here. I think I'd like piping again but I'm not sure dark red/burgundy or green lend themselves to alternate color piping - anyone want to prove me wrong?

I have a bunch of fabric samples coming from Sunbrella and Ultrasuede etc....I really don't like the texture of Sunbrella, even the upholstery stuff, especially when considering sleeping, but Ultrasuede is something like $100/yd from SailRite. I guess I put a sheet over the cushions anyways so maybe Sunbrella wouldn't be that bad? An argument towards the high quality stuff is the consideration that this is likely the last interior the boat will ever have.
    Last edited by Sati; 01-10-2019 at 02:19 PM.
    Geoff W.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    Sunbrella exterior is UV resistant. That's why we use it on deck, and why it's superb.

I see no reason to use it below--and the Sunbrella interior line is just another fabric competing with thousands of interior fabrics.

All basic upholstery fabric is tough: a livingroom couch takes more punishment and spillage and abuse than any cushion on a boat, at least if there are kids and dogs and pizza around.
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 01-10-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Interior cushions

Goeff, Sherene & Mike in their 38 have the identical fabric we selected for our boat. That stuff is bulletproof and hides stains and dirt from the two of us, many nieces, guests and always two big dogs I'd guess that we had them made around 1997 and they still look as good as new today. Glyn Judson E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn Judson View Post
    Goeff, Sherene & Mike in their 38 have the identical fabric we selected for our boat.
    Glyn, is that fabric still made? It looks basically like the factory fabric with denser polka dots. Pretty close to what I'm hoping for.
    Geoff W.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Is it still made?

Goeff, I just don't know. Some in the business say it isn't, yet others have told method they have found it through their known sources. It is well worth searching for but if not that, a similar fabric. Glyn

Blog Entries

Unhappy "Salute" fabric

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn Judson View Post
    Goeff, I just don't know. Some in the business say it isn't, yet others have told method they have found it through their known sources. It is well worth searching for but if not that, a similar fabric. Glyn
    When we had some upholstery work done in '95, our guy said that he was able to buy a remnant of the dark blue with the white dot pattern.
    He said that that particular product line was being phased out at that time and no more would be available.

He gave me the sample panel with all of the color swatches on it as a keepsake.
    "Irvin Alan Fabrics" "Salute" #2201 - 2209, 2211 - 2219. 97% Acrylic, 3% Rayon
    Scotchgard, and sold 54" wide.

Useless trivia, nowadays.........
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Beach View Post
    Useless trivia
    Well, it's good to know what it was called at least. That gives me some sense of "closure." What sort of fabric would you describe the "Salute" / original fabric as? Is it plush/velvet-ish? I know it has a "nap" to it (where you can sort of draw lines in the fabric with your fingers). I'm having a hard time telling fabric stores what I'm looking for.

I should probably just bring one of the smaller cushions along while shopping...as was mentioned earlier in the thread
    Geoff W.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712