• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cutlass bearing

Navman

Member III
It would appear that I need to replace my Cutlass bearing on my 1986 E-38 as I have noticed some wiggle room where the shaft passes through the strut. I have no idea when the P.O. last replaced the bearing if ever. I am currently fabricating a bearing puller/ installer jig so I will not have to remove the rudder to remove and replace the bearing. When I measured the bearing I came up with 1" shaft dia., 1-5/16 o.d. on the bearing, x 5-3/8" long. I am having trouble finding a bearing long enough for my strut.4" seems to be the standard. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have already tried Defender and several other marine distributors with no success.

gregdettmer

Member I
Cutlass bearing - 1981 E38 - BADE

Hi Don,

I have a 1981 E38, replaced mine about 8 years ago.

Remember I had a hard time finding the correct size. When I did get one I saved the Box it came in since it had the part number on it, which was "BADE", so i would not forget for next time. Do not know why they have names for cutlass bearing part numbers.

When I look that name up on line now, I find its 6" long, 1" ID and 1 1/4" OD, so that does not seem to match your OD?.

See attached PDF

Attachments

• CutlessBearingMS.pdf
    132.6 KB · Views: 28

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Since no one makes a 1" bearing that is longer than 4" in other than 1 1/4" OD I suspect that 4" is adequate.

Navman

Member III
Greg,
Wow! That's great. I guess I could cut it down to length. The O.D I gave may be a little off (user error). I will check again when I go to the boat next at which time I will remove the old one. clean the strut cavity and measure accurately with my calipers. It does appear that you may have found the correct one. Thanks for your assist!!