Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ericson Trivia

Hmmm, very interesting! I have another Olson brochure that I thought was identical to the one I posted, but on closer examination I see that it’s different. That one has the same O34 page as that posted by Grizz, so different keel, rudder, displacement & sail dimensions from the one I posted.

I‘m away from my computer for a couple days, but I can upload the full Olson brochure when I return. Anyone know how best to upload the file to the Documents section? For attachments in the Forum I was limited to 5 pages at low res.
    Roger Brown, Naval Architect, Inc.
    www.rbrown-navalarchitect.com

E32-3 #668 "Equilibrium"

And another one - in the 70’s, Ericson built a custom 40’ Bruce King designed boat called “Madcap” for Charlie Leighton. Charlie was CEO of the aforementioned CML Group, which owned Ericson for several years.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to locate any photos or drawings of Madcap, but I understand it was very “IOR-ish” with a narrow transom, along the lines of the original E-34. Anyone have more info on Madcap?

I read something about another, smaller custom boat called “Cadre” built by Ericson around that time, but I don’t have any further details (Seth, you out there?)

E32-3 #668 "Equilibrium"

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Thanks Roger. This is interesting and new (!) information.

(Semi related aside: I knew two of the three founders of Ranger sailboats @ Ranger Boats in Kent WA. Back in the 80's they had a bread-and-butter sideline of building large fiberglass "awnings" to cover the loading dock platform approaches at... Boeing.

Once they made the mold, they would make them on request. They may have done this for other customers, but they mentioned this when we talked about the uncertain business of building small sailboats from molds since the late 40's. They were an old company, founded by 3 guys that mustered out of the Army Aircorp after WW2. Not sure - but they may have been on the same bomber crew at one point, over Europe.

I would speculate that many/most frp fabricators have done side projects.

More trivia: I watched the new deck mold being finished for the Ranger 8.5. This was for their acquired tooling for the old Chote-Feo Schumacher sloop. Apologies if I misspelled the name of the former CF-27.
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 01-13-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    ...Madcap, ...very “IOR-ish” with a narrow transom...another, smaller custom boat called “Cadre”
    Fun thread!

Depending on which version of the story one believes, Cadre was either an experimental build that became the motivation for the original (1977) pintail 34, or was the plug. I tend to believe the former. Either way, it was a game-changing shape for the IOR, at least for a moment in time. the 34 was, for a few years, a remarkably competitive 3/4-tonner, even against full-custom builds.
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Beach View Post
    ... former CF-27.
    I never knew the CF-27 had a later life. Cool! Those things were rocketships in light air. There was a big to-do a few years back when Dennis Connor bought a CF-27, had "his guys" do all the big-league prep things to it, and then went out and beat up the local PHRF fleet. People screamed that he was bending the rules, but all he'd done was what any of them could have done... take a good boat, and do all the things to make it live up to its potential. That was always his model, as seen in "No Excuse To Lose"

Dennis Choate had a real track record of taking designs and making them successful. The CF-27 started as a Kaufman design, IIRC, as did the pretty successful Choate-40. The CF-37 and CF-41 began life on Shad Turner's boards. The 44 and 48 were Peterson designs.

Arriba, Choate's own boat, started as a Bruce King design, but was "tweaked" a bit. It's never been clear (to me) whether he worked with the original designers or in some way acquired the rights to the design and then re-made them to suit his own aesthetic. He has a remarkable "eye", and would look at a design and decide that in needed ...something. Robert Perry tells the story of a custom design that was being built for a client, and he got a phone call from Choate saying "you're going to love what I did with the rudder". Perry, sort of the king of "just build it like I f'ing drew it", was ticked, and flew down to Long Beach to get Choate sorted out. They "discussed" it and the conversation (I'm told) ended with Choate saying "well, that's how I'm going to build it". He did, and Perry later reported that Choate was right, the shape turned out better than what he'd drawn. So it goes.

In the case of Arriba he apparently decided the aft shape was too skinny, so he split the tooling down the middle, wedged it apart until it looked right to him, and... the resulting boat won the Transpac only a few months after being launched.

Fun bit of trivia, Choate's in-house "designer" was Alan Andrews, whose job initially consisted of fairing the lines of the "tweaks" and making drawings to catch up with the shape that ended up getting built. His first real designs were built largely on his own dime at Choate's shop, and the success of the resulting boats launched a pretty successful career - and a lasting partnership. Most of the famous Andrews designs, including a string of Andrews-70 "sleds", for example, were built at the Choate shop....
    Last edited by bgary; 01-13-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604

And finally . . . would you believe that Ericson built (gasp!) powerboats? Ericson acquired Innovator Boats in the late 80’s, which included Radoncraft and Innovator powerboats.

Radoncraft was a spin-off of the long-established Radon brand of work & fishing boats. I believe that Ericson built 22’ & 26’ Radoncraft models. Don Radon eventually reacquired Radoncraft, and in fact Radon Boats is still in business in Santa Barbara.

The Innovator 41 was a serious sportfisher, along the lines of a Cabo. The boat was very complex as I recall, and Ericson never completed one. Innovator was subsequently purchased by a Japanese businessman who set up a shop in Irvine, but they’re long out of business.

So those are all the non-Ericsons built by Ericson Yachts throughout their history that I’m aware of - Olson 25, 911S & 34, Supercats, Madcap, Cadre, Radoncraft 22 & 26 and Innovator 41. I joined Ericson in ’83, so it’s possible there were others prior to that.

E32-3 #668 "Equilibrium"

And finally . . . would you believe that Ericson built (gasp!) powerboats? Ericson acquired Innovator Boats in the late 80’s, which included Radoncraft and Innovator powerboats.

Radoncraft was a spin-off of the long-established Radon brand of work & fishing boats. I believe that Ericson built 22’ & 26’ Radoncraft models. Don Radon eventually reacquired Radoncraft, and in fact Radon Boats is still in business in Santa Barbara.

The Innovator 41 was a serious sportfisher, along the lines of a Cabo. The boat was very complex as I recall, and Ericson never completed one. Innovator was subsequently purchased by a Japanese businessman who set up a shop in Irvine, but they’re long out of business.

So those are all the non-Ericsons built by Ericson Yachts throughout their history that I’m aware of - Olson 25, 911S & 34, Supercats, Madcap, Cadre, Radoncraft 22 & 26 and Innovator 41. I joined Ericson in ’83, so it’s possible there were others prior to that.
    Hi Roger. Is the cover from the 32-3 brochure your boat?
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

Blog Entries
    As there was some interest in the original retail sail prices of these boats back in the day, I thought I'd post this original 1985 invoice for an E32-3. It was in a folder of old documents I got with the boat when I purchased it in 2016.

Base price was $65K, add-ons $17K, and total of $92K with tax and freight.

Interesting items to me were $1100 for interior varnish, the $550 stereo, and $260 for "ship on pads." Would anyone really ship their new $90K boat without pads?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Invoice.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	25926

Added.....The federal luxury tax on new boats was approved on Sept. 30, 1990. It added another 10% tax on top of all previous costs, was rumored to be the death-blow to the recreational boat industry, and, obviously affected a wide swath of the market at that time.
    Last edited by Kenneth K; 01-16-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added luxury tax comment
    Ken
    '85 E32-3 "Mariah" #641
    Universal M-25

"Saltwater is the cure; sweat, tears, or the sea......"

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaSteve View Post
    Hi Roger. Is the cover from the 32-3 brochure your boat?
    No, actually that’s 32-3 hull #1 (technically #601). That’s me sitting furthest forward holding the spin sheet – I was young and hirsute back then. I recall that most of the photos taken that day (a couple B & W shots below) showed me driving, but the selected one shows the boss at the helm – funny how that works! Anyway, that photo made the rounds in the brochures and magazine ads.

That boat was docked in Newport Beach and available to Ericson employees to sail at no cost for a year or two – nice perk!

Thanks for asking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E32 B&W 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	25930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E32 B&W 1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	25929  

E32-3 #668 "Equilibrium"

10. 01-16-2019, 04:24 PM
    Reason
    Redo for quote

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth K View Post
    Would anyone really ship their new $90K boat without pads?

As I recall, dealers had a choice of either shipping on pads (support arms positioned by the trucker) or on a cradle, which stayed with the boat. One or the other had to be selected.

E32-3 #668 "Equilibrium"

Principal Partner
    Winters, Boca Raton, Florida, Summers Glenview(Chicago) Illinois.

More Trivia

Roger:

In the early 70's one of the original Ericson 35's was owned and raced by Saint Cicero and Rod Lippold (not sure if the latter is spelled correctly), and of course with sails by Baxter and Cicero. Wish I could remember the boat name.

Did you know either of them or any connected with them?
    Mort Fligelman
    A Capella
    E35-3 1987
    Glenview, IL

Contributing Member II
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth K View Post
    Base price was $65K, add-ons $17K, and total of $92K with tax and freight.
    Translating the 33-year-old prices with help from the CPI: "Base price was $150K, add-ons $39K, and total of $211K with tax and freight."
    Roger Janeway - "Nora J" - 1986 E26-2 hull #257 - Westerbeke 10 Two - Marina del Rey, CA

And another one - in the 70’s, Ericson built a custom 40’ Bruce King designed boat called “Madcap” for Charlie Leighton. Charlie was CEO of the aforementioned CML Group, which owned Ericson for several years.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to locate any photos or drawings of Madcap, but I understand it was very “IOR-ish” with a narrow transom, along the lines of the original E-34. Anyone have more info on Madcap?

I read something about another, smaller custom boat called “Cadre” built by Ericson around that time, but I don’t have any further details (Seth, you out there?)
    From Sailing Anarchy in 2008:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...-in-hollandmi/

See posts #11 and #17 for info from Seth (Sol).

Mark
    Last edited by markvone; 01-17-2019 at 05:24 AM.
    Mark & Ronnie Vinette
    E36RH #21 GLIDE
    Annapolis, MD

No, actually that’s 32-3 hull #1 (technically #601). That’s me sitting furthest forward holding the spin sheet – I was young and hirsute back then. I recall that most of the photos taken that day (a couple B & W shots below) showed me driving, but the selected one shows the boss at the helm – funny how that works! Anyway, that photo made the rounds in the brochures and magazine ads.

That boat was docked in Newport Beach and available to Ericson employees to sail at no cost for a year or two – nice perk!

Thanks for asking!
    Thanks for the response and the trivia. Very cool.
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Fligelman View Post
    Wish I could remember the boat name.
    This made me laugh. I would have sworn I'd remember the name, until I tried... and now it's gone. It'll come back some day, I'm sure.

I raced in the early 70s on one of the other early 35-2s in Newport Beach, one called "Andiamo" out of Balboa YC. "Doc" Sodaro was an active racer, and his son Robin worked for the local Hood sail loft, so there was some rivalry with the other boat. (Robin owned the Hood loft in San Francisco for years, maybe still does, not sure how that shook out when Quantum acquired Hood)

Couple of years later I worked briefly for Saint Cicero at B&C but left after a couple of months because I figured out it wasn't as much fun to sew in reef-cringles and sweep floors at Baxter and Cicero as it was to lay out spinnakers at Sobstad...

Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604