Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ericson Trivia

Blog Entries
    Roger -

As long as we're throwing out random questions... any chance you have copies of any of the drawings from the 32-III?

Beyond just the "I'd love to have a copy" thing, I've thought about getting a half-model made for my office, but if I do that I'd much prefer the model-maker have drawings to work from. I've seen half-models made from photos, and... they never seem to look quite right.

Thanks!
    Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

Principal Partner
    Winters, Boca Raton, Florida, Summers Glenview(Chicago) Illinois.

Baxter and Cicero

Bruce: Saint and my sailing partner went back into the 60's.....he used to come to Chicago to sail the Mac with Lew Davidson before we were partners in a Cal 29.....then he and his son Terry sailed with us both on the Cal and our PT30.....

My wife and I spent a lot of time with Saint and his wife Lou, and with Terry in Newport on my annual sojourns to an industry trade show every February.....

When Bob Poole of Columbia Yachts had Sanderlings christning at Balboa YC Saint brought us along and Bob invited me to do the transpac with them.....it killed me, but I just could not make the time (needed to keep the kids in kibble)......

When I retired in 91 I contacted Saint and told him that I was planning to be in San Diego for the Americas Cup and we planned to do it on my brothers Searay....but Saint went 8 Bells before it could happen....

Good to know we had a mutual aquaintence

If you think of the boat name let me know

Thanks
    Mort Fligelman
    A Capella
    E35-3 1987
    Glenview, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Fligelman View Post
    Roger:

In the early 70's one of the original Ericson 35's was owned and raced by Saint Cicero and Rod Lippold (not sure if the latter is spelled correctly), and of course with sails by Baxter and Cicero. Wish I could remember the boat name.

Did you know either of them or any connected with them?
    No, afraid I didn't know them, although Baxter & Cicero is still in business in Costa Mesa.
    Roger Brown, Naval Architect, Inc.
    www.rbrown-navalarchitect.com

E32-3 #668 "Equilibrium"

Quote Originally Posted by bgary View Post
    Roger -

As long as we're throwing out random questions... any chance you have copies of any of the drawings from the 32-III?

Beyond just the "I'd love to have a copy" thing, I've thought about getting a half-model made for my office, but if I do that I'd much prefer the model-maker have drawings to work from. I've seen half-models made from photos, and... they never seem to look quite right.

Thanks!
    Bruce
    Bruce,
    I believe I have blueprints of the sail plan and the electrical & plumbing systems tucked away in my chart table (these were provided with every new boat that went out). But I don't have any hull or deck lines, which a model maker would need to accurately reproduce the hull & deck. That's a tough one - I don't know that any copies still exist.

E32-3 #668 "Equilibrium"

Roger,

Nice of you to answer random questions, thank you. Is there any significance to my boat (32-3 hull 711) not having the blue gelcoat stripe, or was it just ordered that way?
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaSteve View Post
    Roger,

Nice of you to answer random questions, thank you. Is there any significance to my boat (32-3 hull 711) not having the blue gelcoat stripe, or was it just ordered that way?
    Steve,
    Contrasting boot and sheer stripes were standard, at least on later-model Ericsons including the 32-3, so most boats had them. I'm pretty sure that all boats had at least a boot stripe, but I believe some were built without a sheer stripe. Sounds like yours was one of those, unless a PO repainted the hull.

Midwatch Blue was the most common stripe color, but there were other options (like white stripes on dark-colored hulls), and stripes could be single or double.

An anecdote about stripes I shared once before: When we tooled the E32-3, the decision was made by Ericson to make the sheer stripe flush with the hull rather than standing it off a bit. This made it quicker to mask off the stripe in the mold, and also saved gelcoat touchup time. Admittedly it took away from the aesthetics.

When Bruce saw the sheer stripe on the 32, he wasnt happy, but it was too late to change on that model. The profile drawing for the next new model we produced, the E28, contained a note which I can recall almost verbatim to this day: SHEER STRIPE DAMN WELL BETTER STAND PROUD BY 1/8 . All subsequent models had a sheer stripe that stood off.

E32-3 #668 "Equilibrium"

Your Friendly Administrator Sean Engle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hmmm, very interesting! I have another Olson brochure that I thought was identical to the one I posted, but on closer examination I see that its different. That one has the same O34 page as that posted by Grizz, so different keel, rudder, displacement & sail dimensions from the one I posted.

Im away from my computer for a couple days, but I can upload the full Olson brochure when I return. Anyone know how best to upload the file to the Documents section? For attachments in the Forum I was limited to 5 pages at low res.

Hi Roger -

Sorry for coming late to this party! How large of a file is it, what format and where are you trying to put it?

//sse

8. 01-25-2019, 05:47 PM

Great thread!

This is a great thread. I had no idea Supercats were build by EY- I had two NACRAs in the 80's and actively raced against those monsters. In big surf, they were a challenge.
    Thanks to all those who contributed.
    CTO
    Craig T. Olsen
    Ericson/Olson 34 "Loki"
    Mystic, CT

keel trade in

Paging through the August '82 issue of Sailing and came across this...were there any takers?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trivia.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	26227
    1985 Sabre 38 C/B
    hull #80
    Sturgeon Bay, Wi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave N View Post
    Paging through the August '82 issue of Sailing and came across this...were there any takers?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trivia.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	26227
    Interesting. I have a vague memory of that keel swap. I don't recall replacing any keels though, at least after I began working at Ericson in May of '83.

E32-3 #668 "Equilibrium"

E33RH Keell Swap

My 1982 E33RH, hull #3 which I bought used in ~1987 reportedly had the keel swap. My boat had been traded in by the original owners for a new Shannon in Tiverton, RI, and the Shannon sales guy had a lot of the boat's history. My boat had been owned by a couple who worked at the Brewster Boatyard/Ericson dealer nearby in Rhode Island. They had access to yard services to make the swap and probably got the keels shipped for free with new Ericson boats on the delivery trucks. The old keel went back for a credit for the lead value as I recall.

The Holland model Ericsons were moderate IOR designs intended to be more race oriented than the Bruce King designs. As I recall, they were pretty expensive when new and the owners were likely to spend money on racing upgrades like this keel swap. The new keel design was in response to yet another change in the IOR racing rule which allowed more stability for less penalty. This change occurred after the E33/36RH were designed and (mostly) built. The IOR racing rule was in it's last few years and was known for constant changes and some emphasis in it's measurements which invited designers to do extreme things to their boat designs to get a better rating, not necessarily a faster design (like a keel tip made of balsa). The constant changes which obsoleted older boats helped to kill the rule.

I have no idea if my E36RH, hull #21, has the keel swap.

Mark
    Mark & Ronnie Vinette
    E36RH #21 GLIDE
    Annapolis, MD