• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 26': suggestions for radar.

Hi. I have a 1987 Ericson 26'. I am considering a voyage along the Hudson and into Long Island Sound. The addition of radar is highly recommended. I'd like to know what kind of radar units have worked for other folks with vessels of this type and size. (Many thanks in advance of your response!)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My 'old' Furuno worked fine, but I do prefer the resolution in the Lowrance 3G unit we installed several years ago. It works seamlessly with their chart plotter, also.
Most of the current models seem to get pretty good reviews.
Others here should have more current info as to brand or model.
On bit of trivia -- smaller boats generally have less power available on a constant basis, and the newer "digital" units do draw less amps.

Jeff should be checking in with info on his former E-27 and the Furuno radar he installed on it. I recall that he liked it a lot.

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Gosh, I’d disagree that you need radar for this area, and would consider it more of a distraction than anything else.

There are three keys to successful navigation from the George Washington Bridge on the Hudson, around to the Throgs Neck Bridge in western Long Island Sound:
- a favorable tide (do not even think of making the trip during a time you lack this)
- an attentive lookout
- benign weather

(I kept my boat in the middle of this range at the 79th Street Boat Basin in Manhattan for several years, and on LIS just past the Throgs Neck Bridge for the last fifteen years.)

With those three conditions in place you’ll find that part of the trip fascinating and not as complicated as you might think. Lack any of them, and you’ll have a miserable, white-knuckle, possibly terrifying experience. Consider that stretch of the trip a day passage; I do not recommend lingering anywhere in that zone. If you want to visit NYC stay outside that area and commute easily by train or Uber. Pro tip: the West Marine in Manhattan is interesting only in the fact that it exists in the middle of the Garment District; it is not a must-see destination.

You might find AIS helpful, interfaced to an iPad or other digital device. But I just installed it last year myself.

The Hudson above the GW, or east of the Throgs Neck, is relatively benign in terms of tide and traffic.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
100 percent agree.

Navigate using visual, GPS and AIS.

Avoid fog and night operations in crowded, unfamiliar areas. Really. If it's foggy, stay put.

And it will save you expense, clutter, battery and a false sense of security.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
In the PNW you'd lose most of July if you stay put in a fog. They roll in quickly and stay most of the day, so sailing in one, while not desirable, is sometimes thrust upon you. And around Port Townsend you are surrounded by shipping lanes which means a mistake may be kind of serious.

I put an old Furuno LCD unit on my E27 and even though I only ended up using it a hand full of days a year, the peace of mind it gave crossing the straights to get back home was worth every penny. Think I got the whole thing for a couple of hundred on Ebay and did the install myself.

Since I was usually motoring in the fog, power usage wasn't a big issue. However I would suggest using a radar mount that puts the display where you can see it from the helm. I've attached some pics of the folding one I built myself for my E35 since I couldn't find a commercial unit that would work with this configuration. Allows the display to be stored inside and be out of the way the 95% of the time you aren't using it, but swung out to see it clearly when you need it.

The other important thing if you install it is to PRACTICE with it on bright sunny days until you get a good idea what shows up, what doesn't, and at what ranges. Very educational.

Interior radar mount.jpgExterior radar mount.jpg

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I agree with Tenders and Christian.

I've been up and down the river many times and through Hell Gate a few and have never needed radar. Only one day did I encounter fog, and like on the lake you wait for it to dissipate.

frick

Member III
get a

Gosh, I’d disagree that you need radar for this area, and would consider it more of a distraction than anything else.

There are three keys to successful navigation from the George Washington Bridge on the Hudson, around to the Throgs Neck Bridge in western Long Island Sound:
- a favorable tide (do not even think of making the trip during a time you lack this)
- an attentive lookout
- benign weather

(I kept my boat in the middle of this range at the 79th Street Boat Basin in Manhattan for several years, and on LIS just past the Throgs Neck Bridge for the last fifteen years.)

With those three conditions in place you’ll find that part of the trip fascinating and not as complicated as you might think. Lack any of them, and you’ll have a miserable, white-knuckle, possibly terrifying experience. Consider that stretch of the trip a day passage; I do not recommend lingering anywhere in that zone. If you want to visit NYC stay outside that area and commute easily by train or Uber. Pro tip: the West Marine in Manhattan is interesting only in the fact that it exists in the middle of the Garment District; it is not a must-see destination.

You might find AIS helpful, interfaced to an iPad or other digital device. But I just installed it last year myself.

The Hudson above the GW, or east of the Throgs Neck, is relatively benign in terms of tide and traffic.

https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/east-river.php

have good charts and understanding the currents and the Long Island Race is the key to success.

Rick