• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25 fiberglass wrinkle at base of mast compression post

When I purchased my 1975 Ericson 25, I bought it knowing many repairs needed to be made before I put it back in the water again, including fixing an issue under the mast compression post where a wrinkle had formed due to mast compression forces in the past. The deck-stepped mast is supported by a mahogany "post" comprised of the front bulkhead and three mahogany boards which enclose the cavity containing the centerboard cable and some mast wiring. These side boards appear to bear on the fiberglass liner that makes up the sole, and ideally would tranfer those compression forces down to the hull and keel. However, there appears to be space between the relatively thin liner and the hull/keel which has caused this area to receive and not tranmit these forces, and has led to deformation of the fiberglass under the port side board of the compression post. I would like to repair the wrinkle and add some reinforcement to help carry compression forces down to the hull. If anyone has experienced a similar failure or has ideas as to repair stategies, I would appreciate input. Thanks.

Last edited: