• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Article about folding and feathering props

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
There are so many "nice-to-have" projects within the $2-3k range that it makes it almost impossible to know where to start! Upgrading the prop is one that keeps bugging me, because that .5-1.5 knots of potential improvement is pretty damn significant for a boat that's happy to see around 6kts on a given day in Puget Sound. But at that price, I'm starting to look at new sails, and an anemometer, and new cushion foam, and and and and.....

Definitely on the 2-3 year plan though.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I will probably succumb and install one. Been putting it off for years.

And I will be nuts to do it, given the way I use the boat: no racing, scheduled sailing (meaning we will be back at X p.m., for guest planning), zero enjoyment of 1-knot sailing, and general satisfaction with current performance while dragging a huge 3-bladed prop. I'll go faster, rarely notice it, and soon forget the three grand expended.

I notice that everybody who has such a prop loves it, can;t live without it, and would do it again. Justification is human nature. Now ask them their level of misery prior to purchase. That's where the more useful information lies.

The real problem is that when you read these articles, it makes you hyper aware that beneath your own hull there is the equivalent of a bucket or 20 feet of kelp or half a lobster pot being dragged all the time. You recall the monthly bottom cleaning contract. You are reminded that your slip neighbor has one and considers them, well, "indispensable for yachtsmen in the know!"

Yeah well, you can't unhear a cowbell, either.

But it is true, well-enough-alone is a place easy to get to but hard to stay overnight.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I will probably succumb and install one. Been putting it off for years.

And I will be nuts to do it, given the way I use the boat: no racing, scheduled sailing (meaning we will be back at X p.m., for guest planning), zero enjoyment of 1-knot sailing, and general satisfaction with current performance while dragging a huge 3-bladed prop. I'll go faster, rarely notice it, and soon forget the three grand expended.

I notice that everybody who has such a prop loves it, can;t live without it, and would do it again. Justification is human nature. Now ask them their level of misery prior to purchase. That's where the more useful information lies.

The real problem is that when you read these articles, it makes you hyper aware that beneath your own hull there is the equivalent of a bucket or 20 feet of kelp or half a lobster pot being dragged all the time. You recall the monthly bottom cleaning contract. You are reminded that your slip neighbor has one and considers them, well, "indispensable for yachtsmen in the know!"

Yeah well, you can't unhear a cowbell, either.

But it is true, well-enough-alone is a place easy to get to but hard to stay overnight.
At well less than $3K you might consider a Campbell Sailer prop. (Yes, that's the correct spelling.) http://www.westbynorth.com/campbell-sailer/ Though it will not quite equal a folder under sail, it will have considerably less drag than one of those 3-bladed dumbo-eared monstrosities. Plus, it will at least equal and in many (most?) cases exceed the performance of a conventional fixed prop under power.

I replaced the 3-blade Michigan Wheel standard prop on my E26-2 with one of these. I saw a slight increase in performance under power (which is easy to measure) and I'm sure it must be helping me under sail (which is less easy to quantify). Tech support is great; they really work with you to get the right prop for your engine.

See Mainesail's detailed tests of this prop here: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/prop-review-campbell-sailor.112587/

frick

Member III
martek

I love my Martek Eliptic 3.
it was adorable (and eBay find)
I'll take that extra Knot to Knot and a half.
My current wheel has been on my boat for 16 years.

Rick

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Last edited:

CTOlsen

Member III
Autostream, Baby!

Got a 3 bladed feathering stainless Autostream and love it. The PO/OO (original owner) installed it, with little use. I likely would not have invested in this prop, but am a true believer now.

Thrust in reverse is the same as in forward.
Zero prop walk; I slowly back into the slip with no drama.
I see 0.5 kts speed increase when I put the prop in feather mode
Have been able to adjust pitch to maximaze efficiency of the 25XP, normal cruising is 6.25 kts @2500 RPM

If I were to win the lottery, and have any boat I wanted, I’d put a feathering prop on it.
CTO