• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Solar power vents

hmdjamesh

Member I
I’m thinking of installing solar powered vents on my Ericson 26–2
Are they effective? Recommendations on which type?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have had a Nicro 4 inch stainless steel solar powered vent installed in the centre of the main hatch on our E30+ for the past 12 years. It has a rechargeable size C battery which is readily available when replacement is needed, about every few years.
I have been very pleased with it as it provides alot of ventilation to avoid mould and when I have a full boat of guests aboard at night.
They also make a 3 inch, and plastic instead of stainless steel.
There are other brands, but I would buy my Nicro vent again.
Frank

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Nicromania

I have two. One brings air in through the salon hatch and one exhales from the head. Two years of trouble-free operation.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Two or more vents is ideal for intake and exhaust, but adds to the cost and isn't really necessary for a smaller boat. If you only use one vent, use the exhaust piece (they provide both intake and exhaust blades), which will draw air out of the boat, and there are enough openings with companionship doors, passive vents, and other air leaks to replace the exhausted air. Works great! They say it exchanges 800 cubic feet of air per hour, if I remember correctly.
Frank

CTOlsen

Member III
Vent- Yes!

I also have a micro vent. And have replaced it with upgrades and new batts. In the North East, it’s important to keep ventilation moving to manage humidity. I am a believer in these vents.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Nicro Vents

I’m thinking of installing solar powered vents on my Ericson 26–2
Are they effective? Recommendations on which type?
Installed (2) Nicro SS (4) inch Vents with screens in 1982. Have had to replace (1). Batterys get replaced every other year. Sailing season is only (4) months.
Vents are mounted port and starboard of the mast. One vent is in the head (exhaust) and very valuable. We have never had to replace head hoses and get no head odors. Obviously very happy with Nicro and the two vent scheme.
Pat O'Connell
1981 E28+

Last edited: