• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cutless bearing and rudder bearing on 28+

Cameron

This is my first cutlass bearing replacement on my 28+. Can anyone give me info on where to find the correct size and best place to get it from? The measurement I got for the shaft diameter was 19.40mm .
I also found out the rudder shakes when I touch it. It looks like the bearing is worn and the rider itself has a little damage? Any assistance would be heavily appreciated. I got a list of things to do before spring and hopefully I can get it all done.

Attachments

• 20181227_110742.jpg
    20181227_110742.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20181227_123324.jpg
    20181227_123324.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 13

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the rudder bearing, "a little" movement is normal as result of wear.

Try pumping grease into the rudder tube by means of the grease fitting (Zerk fitting) inside. If the fitting is frozen, the tube may not have been greased in many years. Let us know how the grease job goes, there are solutions to the usual issues.

And welcome aboard the forum.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

Converting your prop shaft size from millimetres to inches, it sounds like you have a 3/4" shaft, which is quite common. If you will replace the cutless bearing yourself, you can order it from various chandleries--Defender comes to mind, but there are others, so you might want to ask around in your area. There is good information on line about building a simple tool to help you remove the old one and insert the new one. Most boat yards or boat mechanics can do this work for you, though it's not usually cheap to do.

Christian is right about how to start with your rudder. If adding grease to the zerks doesn't solve it, there is good information on this site about how to fix it (and most other problems as well!).

Good luck with it!

Frank