• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-2 Main Sail Cut Short?

Farlander

Member II
On our new to us 1970, the main sail appears to have been modified. The sail has a horizontal zipper from tack to clew along the foot, which doesn't seem to actually serve any purpose. There is about 3" of sail fabric hemmed into a small pouch below the zipper. The main sail when fully raised is about 12" short of the top of the mast, and at least 12" short of the end of the boom when hauled out tight. The sail has a single reef point. The Ericson logo and the number '35' is embroidered in red near the head of the sail.

Any thoughts on what could be going on here? Some speculate the sail may have torn and was shortened as a fix. Others, the sail may have been 'permanently reefed' for SF bay area conditions. Or, maybe it was a sail from a different boat? Or the short rig version of the 35-2 perhaps? These are the only photos I have at present.. will try to get some better shots.

20181208_132005.jpg
20181202_142446.jpg

Thanks in advance

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Been a while since anybody mentioned a zipper foot. The idea was that with the zipper opened, the sail had more fullness, for drive through chop in light air. When the wind came up you zipped closed the foot and had a flatter sail.

Real 1970s tech. Maybe your sail is original equipment. Got the battens?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The 'good old days'

Been a while since anybody mentioned a zipper foot. The idea was that with the zipper opened, the sail had more fullness, for drive through chop in light air. When the wind came up you zipped closed the foot and had a flatter sail.

Real 1970s tech. Maybe your sail is original equipment. Got the battens?

Agree!
Further, I recall that there was a transition from an attached foot with no "shape" to a shelf with a zipper to remove that little bit of sail shape at the bottom... to figuring out that the zipper had no purpose and that the 'problem' of the attached air flow leaking out along the foot of the main was of little consequence. Then sailmakers simplified things and went to the Loose Footed sail.
We changed from a conventional foot to a loose foot back in the mid 90's. Our prior OD 20 footer had a main with a shelf foot. Removing that shelf did save some labor, altho not much saving in the cloth, since the sailmaker was using a cheaper cloth referred to as "bag cloth".

And then there was the era of the droop boom.... in pursuit of a nano-knot of speed and more head injuries.
Oh My.
:)

supersailor

Contributing Partner
If you have a zipper foot, your sail is probably 30 years past it's replacement time. The lack of battens in the picture shows why battens are needed. Adding the battens will give you a great deal more "push" At the moment, you won't be getting much power out of that main at all. It's good for heeling the boat over, though. Save the sheckles up for new sails and you won't believe the transformation of your boat both in handling and speed.

steven

Sustaining Member
The back edge of the sail beyond the straight line from head to clew (the "roach") is outside the sail triangle and cannot be held out by halyard and boom tension. Major function of the battens is to hold out the roach. If you put the battens in, your sail will present the intended sail area to the wind and also avoid noisy flapping at the back of the sail.

The low end of the clew relative to the tack was (as I recall) to beat a racing rating rule. Y
You might have an original sail or a newer one built to the original sail plan.
The odd shape makes no sense for performance or cruising.
If you get a new sail it should be triangular with the foot more or less perpendicular to the luff -do not replicate the original sail plan.

On the E32-2 and E35-2 one reason the hoist is low is so that the roach (held out by battens) can clear the backstay.
If you hoist too high the battens will catch when you tack or jibe. Discuss this with the sail maker if you get a new sail.

The zip shelf was useless except as a profitable option for sail makers. Concept was to flatten the sail when racing. In my experience it was always left unzipped and the extra cloth was taken up by hoisting a few inches higher. In any case the zippers tended to break in about a year. (If you really want to flatten when racing, easier to do with a downhaul through a grommet a few inches above the tack, as you would on a dinghy.)

--Steve

Farlander

Member II
I'll check again and post some more pictures when I have opportunity next week, but as I recall, the small 'pouch' of sail below the zipper is literally sewed together - it does not unfurl even with the zipper open. Also, the zipper does not extend all the way to the edges of the sail, and seemingly would do nothing to change sail shape whether zipped or not. Is it really possible the sail is original, 48 years old? The fabric looks like good condition, no discoloration, very crisp, but one of the batten sleeves is torn, and looks like all of the battens are missing except maybe one.

Questions, can I buy replacement battens?
Secondly, where could I find sail specs that would work well for a 35-2? I don't seem to recall the main being anywhere close to the backstay...

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Take the sail to a local sailmaker for evaluation and repairs. I take my sails in every other year. Sail thread rots and breaks. Thin spots need patches, etc. where rubbing on spreaders and lifelines. The sail will last many more years with this kind of treatment. The sailmaker can give you a good assessment of the sail. My cost is usually about $250 for both sails. Ask around the marina who might be the best one to take them to.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The published sail measurments are here: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ericson-35-2

Any sailmaker will give you an instant ballpark quote based on them.

Measurements of the actual rig are required when ordering or trying to find a used sail to fit.

Farlander, put battens in the sail and it will work. But buy a real mainsail as soon as you can.