Holding Tank Pump Out

michaellfoo

So, my 32-2 has a holding tank with an overboard pump, but no deck fitting for dock pump-out. Seems odd to me, but there are a couple of these oddities in my particular vessel.

I'm wondering how I go about pumping out what I can only assume is a years old seawater-urine mixture in the holding tank currently. Lovely.

Am I to simply open the inspection cap atop the tank and vacuum this s*** out? Pun intended.

I plan to add a proper Y-valve and deck fitting soon(ish), but it's somewhat low on the project list; which keeps growing, as you all can undoubtedly relate to.

Cheers.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Odds are that when the boat was built, and for a decade further on, it got by fine with the original marine head and overboard thru hull.
Someone later copied part of the 80's EY system with a holding tank and a manual pump for valving it back overboard.
Of course it was all 'legal' when EY did it, with a holding tank and deck pump out.

I like the choices inherent in the factory system in the 80's, but it does involve some extra plumbing and valving. We have that system, matter of fact.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Why not just motor "three miles" off the breakwater and pump out.

If you have seawater flush, flush a lot of seawater through the holding tank while you're at it. Finish with a packet of the product called Odorlos.

But we really need a freshwater flush system here--ocean microorganisms in the system make it stink and clog the head bowl flush system with black stuff. That can be a simple "T" off the vanity sink drain to feed the head intake hose.

Last edited: