• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

photo

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yes, she is a lovely boat! Treasure her, especially after all the repairs and upgrades you have done!
Frank

mfield

Member III
Because my browser allows it I clicked on "Search Google for Image". The answer was "Germany" - I guess AI has a way to go.

A pretty boat in a lovely location.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Envy

The owners of "Hunta-Cata-Benalina's" just WISH their RV's looked that good... and that they actually sailed that well, too.
:egrin:

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Great shot Bob, and in a great location. One of the things I've noticed over the years is that people never have pictures of their own full boat (especially under sail). I cruised with another guy for years and have lots of shots of his boat, but only one or two full length shots of my old E27.

Still no pics of my E35 under sail, and only one at anchor up at Portland Is. Now that you've brought up the subject I'm going to have to heave some crew over the side in the dink this summer and not pick them back up until they've gotten some good shots of Hydro Therapy under sail.

PS. If you want a great gift for a friend and happen to pass them on the water, take a good picture of their boat under sail and frame it for them.

Portland anchorage.jpg

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy
(formerly O Barquinho)

TimTimmeh

Member II
Sister-ship

I sometimes envy the view that the "Hunta-Cata-Benalina's" get when I slip into the anchorage.:egrin:

Attachments

• 48416823_10216769587967330_4367738357120237568_o.jpg
    48416823_10216769587967330_4367738357120237568_o.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 248

Teranodon

Member III
I have a photo that is similar to Kevin's: my E34 on Jones Island in the San Juans.

Like him, I have no picture of my boat under sail. A friend who is a photographer just got a picture-taking drone, and we are going to do something when the weather improves. I'll have to remember to give my genoa halyard an extra half-turn....

Talpa on Jones.jpg

woolamaloo

Member III
Photo "Under Sail"

In July 2017, two buddies of mine and I departed Cleveland before sunset and motored the 11 hours across Lake Erie to a little town called Erieau, Ontario. We all three were single-handing our own boats - my 30+, a Pearson 28 and a 30' S2 Center Console. As you can probably notice, there was not a breath of wind and none came until after midnight. But, I knew that if I hoisted my sails, one of my buddies would get a couple photos. I had to pull everything tight to keep the sails from luffing. And this is how I have my only good picture of my boat "under sail."
woolamaloo-to-erieau.jpg
This picture was on our Christmas card that year and is framed in our dining room.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding "attractiveness"

Dang, this group has some attractive boats ;)

I spent Wednesday wandering thru the Seattle Boat Show, inside and on-water. For around 200K, I can buy a Ben/Jun. 34-size sailboat with an interior finished out in the Euro-version of Formica wood grain.... or maybe it was the "standard" interior on the Hanse. I have seen products from Ikea that look much better, and certainly no worse.
OTOH, they do often give you TWO steering wheels! :rolleyes:
(You can never have too many of those, it seems....)

Their sail handling systems were primitive compared to Ericson's as well.

I did ask one of the brokers how the deck and hull were joined on the French-derived boats and he had no idea, but said it was Really Strong!
:rolleyes:

Actually some of the high-end smaller power boats, like the ones from Finland, were quite drool-worthy.

If you go, DO take the free tour around Lake Union in the electric Duffy launch. Lots of fun!

mfield

Member III
This picture was on our Christmas card that year and is framed in our dining room.

What a lovely photograph. I think you should put it up for a caption competition for one of the "Inspirational" posters.

My entry would be "Innovation - why bother, sails have been around for some time"

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Here's a pic of mine under sail...unfortunately the PO at the helm there but someday I'll have my own pic while underway!!

5789105165353742210.png

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
E-38-200, Columbia River

Here is my friend's Ericson, couple of years ago, docked at Beacon Rock State Park, on the Columbia River.
We have spent quite a few long weekends there also, in the last 30 years.
It's an easy two day trip up the river from Portland.
I would guess that this was mid week, as the dock fills up on most summer weekends.

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/beacon-rock

Attachments

• E-38-200 Beacon Rk, Columbia River.jpg
    E-38-200 Beacon Rk, Columbia River.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

David Grimm

E38-200
Here's mine. This was taken at Shadows Marina on a foggy morning on the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie NY. I have only had her for about 7 months now and couldn't be happier with my purchase. Your boats look great. If you are ever headed down the Hudson stop in for a drink or maybe dinner. Shadows is a great restaurant with a trendy upscale bar.

Attachments

• 20181217_222005.jpg
    20181217_222005.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 47