• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

olson 34 cockpit has two water resistant electrical receptacle connections

markalan

Member II
On our Olson 34 portside cockpit behind the lazarette, there is a connection for the AC dock cord and a second unknown receptacle. (have seen in other Olson pictures) Does anyone know what the unknown serves?
Thanks.
Mark
O34 Hull # 35, Holiday Harbor, San Pedro

markalan

Member II
Thanks Loren, your picture #4 clearly identified the connection for the Auto Pilot.

Ours came with the single shore power inlet, and no others.
Fourth picture in this blog shows the shore power inlet, manual bilge pump, and above it our AP control head.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?300-Seat-Hatch-Finished-Photos

(I did install the AP instrument where the prior owner had put in a stereo speaker that was totally corroded away when we bought the boat.)

CTOlsen

Member III
Cockpit

On our Olson 34 portside cockpit behind the lazarette, there is a connection for the AC dock cord and a second unknown receptacle. (have seen in other Olson pictures) Does anyone know what the unknown serves?
Thanks.
Mark
O34 Hull # 35, Holiday Harbor, San Pedro

Same here, Loki has a single power plug, A/P, and bilge pump. Pic taken in 2015 delivery from Hampton VA to Mystic CT.
CTO Delivery.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A cold windy rain rolled in here this afternoon and evening. Your sailing picture arrived at just the Right Time.
:)

Pat C.

Member III
In my part of the world a second power recepticle usually goes to the central AC system. You learn quickly here that if you don't have one, you will want one sooner rather than later. AC systems add significant amperage to the AC side of the panel, safer/easier to add a separate power source.

Maybe your boat used to be in my climate and the AC was removed after it's move to the colder waters of the west coast?

There were also old time Marinco water resistant receptacles that look like power cord connections that ate actually phone/coax connectors. There are obviously antiquated in todays world, but I see them occasionally on mid 80's to early 90's boats occasionally still.

67rway

Member II
I can't add anything, as my O34 port side layout looks virtually identical to Loren's. No additional AC plugin.

Grizz

Grizz
The same, only different...

Chiming in, confirming this O 34 has the same base port quarter components as previously mentioned. The square black fitting located forward of the manual bilge pump is a removable remote VHF mic connection that powers both the mic and the loud hailer speaker hanging off the stanchion. Very convenient when conditions are loud and it's important (vital?) to hear VHF activity in the cockpit.

The polar reference sheet is 1 of many taped about the cockpit, nav station and...yes...head. Just in case.

Port Quarter Components.JPG

supersailor

Contributing Partner
It could also be a land line connection. You know, that giant thing that people used to hold up to their ear. Terra Nova has one that I'm going to convert into a 110v outlet so I can plug in my xmas lights in the cockpit.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
>>>remote VHF mic connection that powers both the mic and the loud hailer speaker hanging off the stanchion. Very convenient when conditions are loud and it's important (vital?)

YOU HAVE NO OVERLAP, SIR! REMOVE YOUR BOW FROM MY QUARTER!

Grizz

Grizz
No Loud Hailer Needed

Although Christian's hail to "REMOVE YOUR BOW" wasn't needed, we estimate our sprit dodged the offending transom by 12"...perhaps less. Loud communications within our cockpit were unanimous and accompanied with loud urgency to 'Come Down Hard! Now!'.

The image doesn't capture the essence the GoPro video/audio does, but the sequence played out thus: we on starboard, a sister-ship O-34 crossed on port, tacked (too soon?), squatted in our immediate path, headsail flogging as we overtook...with our bow rotating to port, sprit barely missing the transom (my quote to crew as each checked for stains: 'No problem, had it under control') and the GoPro captured the "sorry about that" from the O-34.

Beer Can in Chicago on Lake Michigan: No contact = no blood = no foul.

Tenacity Cross 8-22-2018.jpg