• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking at a 35-3

pgadd

Member I
I'm going to go down and look at a 35-3 today. I know that, if I really like the boat, a survey is an absolute requirement. But are there any known issues with the boat that I need to look out for?

pgadd

Member I
Post the listing if you would like comments on the specimen.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/ericson-35-3479314/?refSource=standard listing

Hope this works! Went down to the marina only to find that everybody at the brokerage was down in LA for an Xmas party! I am a bit concerned about the mast step, especially since I just found the download about some sort of issue with the structural grid in the 35s that involves the mast step. I am going to try to print it, as it is unreadable on my computer screen . . .

By the way, I love your youtube vids!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the mast step, see this thread (and the link within it).

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...50-1984-Ericson-35-III-bulkhead-and-mast-step

Such a problem, if it exists, ought to be pretty obvious even on a quick inspection. A surveyor would know immediately if there is an issue.

To my eye, the subject boat seems to have had a good owner. The engine is immaculate, and engines are kept that way only by an owner. Th owner replaced the teak trim on the cockpit cubby--a small job, but easy to put off. The conversion of the original instrument pod to hold more modern instrument was done by him, and neatly. I'll bet the bilge is clean.

The Previous Owner (PO) is always a factor to consider.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Agree with Christian. Nice clean boat and the standing rig was replaced recently.

Only minor quibble with the broker ad info is that the engine is a 21 hp model and not a 23.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
You mention your concern about the mast step, but the listing, under detailed specifications, indicates that it was rebuilt by a Marina in 2009. Hopefully they would have addressed whatever issues there might have been, but a survey could examine that area and confirm if it's good or not.

It looks like a lovely, well cared for boat!
Frank

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
All agree....survey is a given....

That said, if there is a grid problem (which after sailing mine going into the thirteenth season I very much doubt) and if the surveyor is worth his salt he will certainly find.

As all above have stated, the boat looks well cared for and loved....B U T.....it is going into its 35th year......and there is always something......at this age (or many years younger) a boat is never perfect.....

The asking price IMHO is a steal......you cannot go wrong.....

It is a great boat, that you will truly love, and at a bargain basement price.....

My .02 Worth.....

On my 35-3 built in 1983, I have owned since new...never have any problems with the grid system.

In looking at the pictures of boat your thinking of...looks great and the price is real low.

Hilco on Sketcher

kapnkd

kapnkd
On my 35-3 built in 1983, I have owned since new...never have any problems with the grid system.

In looking at the pictures of boat your thinking of...looks great and the price is real low.

Hilco on Sketcher

WOW! 35 years with the same boat! Congrats!! I’ve had my ‘73 32-II since new as well and thought I was by myself on longtime ownership. ...Nice to know others have done the same! Thought about a bigger boat but didn’t feel the real need and before I knew it - the boat had in many ways become a living part of our family.

Teranodon

Member III
That's a great price. How are the sails?

My advice: jump on this boat. A thorough survey is a must, of course.