Thread: '70 35-2 Diesel Engine Identification

'70 35-2 Diesel Engine Identification

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone. Can anyone ID this engine?
    Name:  2018-12-01 10.25.04.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  122.1 KB

I was told it could be a 2 cylinder Perkins (Westerbeake?)

Albin D21

Ahem well it seems I've gotten ahead of myself, this would seem to be an Albin D21, made in Sweden, now owned by Volvo and commonly replaced with the Volvo Penta D30 3 cylinder diesel.

The Albin D21 made 22 hp, which seams a little weak for an 11,500 lbs. boat...

Sustaining Member
    22 hp should be enough to move that boat nicely. with a 70's boat if it were not enough power someone would have made the change long ago or she wouldn't still be around.

Blog Entries

Question How much is enough

If focusing solely on the HP part of the equation, 21 or similar should move the boat with no problem. We found that the 23 HP diesel factory-installed on our 10600# boat was just fine, for decades.
    I replaced it with a 25 HP engine because that was close enough in the model lineup these days, and also because I was spec-ing out a replacement with a larger (70 A) alternator. (Alternators use up some measurable HP when charging.)

BTW, if pondering a change sometime, please have a look at my blog entries on our engine change.

Great filter upgrade in your picture -- I also upgraded to a Racor 500 model when changing out the engine.
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 12-06-2018 at 09:04 AM.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Principal Partner Keith Parcells's Avatar
    Your boat has a very slippery hull and that little diesel engine might surprise you at how well it does. It is one HP higher than my 3 cylinder M-25 Universal, although my boat is slightly lighter than yours at a nominal 9600 lbs. Iím sure it will move the boat great on flat water. You will have to test it in that SF bay chop, but it should be OK.
    Keith Parcells
    1983 E-33
    Hull #24
    Rocinante

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farlander View Post
    Ahem well it seems I've gotten ahead of myself, this would seem to be an Albin D21, made in Sweden, now owned by Volvo and commonly replaced with the Volvo Penta D30 3 cylinder diesel.

The Albin D21 made 22 hp, which seams a little weak for an 11,500 lbs. boat...
    When repowering our E-32 back in '91 I went from the A-4 to the Westerbeke 2cyl 18hp model on the recommendation of the dealer. I was ready to buy the larger 3 cyl but he said WHY and saved me a bunch of money as well. Told me the 18 HP diesel was more than enough due to the tremendous torque differences between gas and diesel engines.

He was correct! ...The little 18 HP engine in our boat pushes it along just as fast (maybe a bit faster) with no effort at all.

Contributing Partner
    The standard M25 (21hp) pushes a 13K lb 35-3 adequately through the SF bay. Adequately but not fast - there have been a few times against the 15 kt wind and 2.5 kt current that I wished for a little more power.

I am interested in the assertion that 18hp of a diesel engine is better that a gas engine. I would have though the torque was irrelevant because the torque needed to get a prop spinning is quite low. I would put the primary advantage of diesel over gas as reliability and safety. Any better insight from more mechanically inclined?
    Mike Field
    "Jenny" E35-3 #251
    San Francisco

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfield View Post
    The standard M25 (21hp) pushes a 13K lb 35-3 adequately through the SF bay. Adequately but not fast - there have been a few times against the 15 kt wind and 2.5 kt current that I wished for a little more power.

I am interested in the assertion that 18hp of a diesel engine is better that a gas engine. I would have though the torque was irrelevant because the torque needed to get a prop spinning is quite low. I would put the primary advantage of diesel over gas as reliability and safety. Any better insight from more mechanically inclined?
    With the swap to a diesel also came a change in prop size (bigger) and increased pitch. The dealership helped me out on what was best for me. There is where the extra torque came into play.

Blog Entries
    >>>I would put the primary advantage of diesel over gas as reliability and safety

I would start the advantage list with range.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting