• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

T Boned

dcoyle

Member III
On August 2 2018 I was T boned by an etchells at a leeward mark rounding. The hull on my E33 was punctured by the pointy bow of the other boat who was completely at fault. Luckily 3 feet above waterline. The boat yard put a temp patch over the hole and we were able to use boat to end of season. Repair estimate around 10k. I just pulled off the interior ceiling strips this weekend to help save repair $$. Hoping to end up with a complete hull paint job. Attached are a few shots before removing the wood and the exposed hole

IMG_1582.jpgIMG_1583.jpgIMG_1585.jpg

On a happier note the drawer slides on the1982 boat have suffered some abuse at the hands of race crew and need to be replaced. After panicking about sourcing parts for a 36 year old boat I checked this site. Within 5 minutes I found new slides for about $5 each and the plastic stops were also available although slightly more money than the slides. Altogther probably spent $40 for 4 new slides with stops. Another winter project.

Doug Coyle

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Doug,

Sorry to hear about the damage. I hope you get it all repaired to your satisfaction.

How difficult was it to remove the teak slats outboard of the pilot berth? Did they come out in one piece, are they re-useable? It looks like your slats had exposed screw heads, or are the bungs removed in the first picture?

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

Pretty straight forward and easy repair. My Capri25 the deck was smashed, rub rail and track distroyed and we were holed about 12” wide in a 36” long area aft on the starboard side. I have tons of knowledge on this subject and also own a E33RH. If you need anything let me know... BTW, I sprayed my entire boat with awlgrip 2 part including 5 layers of primer.....my legs never hurt so much!

CTOlsen

Member III
T- Bone

I suffered a T-Bone about 9 years ago, while making zero kts, head to wind, about 8 minutes before the start of a single handed "fun" race. The offending yacht, a knife edged Morgan 43, was completely unaware of his surroundings and plowed into my stbd side. My damage was significant, and was repaired to original condition.

The hole was big enough to put your fist through, took out the toe rail, spin pole, pulpit and a couple of stanchions. Hull and deck damage were pretty significant.

I hired the best Fiberglass guy around, and he did remarkable work. I also recruited help from this site (Thanks Loren) for thoughts and sourcing of parts. The end result was incredible; Perfect match of colors and texture on both deck and hull. Structurally perfect. And took advantage of the broken pole to convert to a retractable deck mounted sprit (a whole separate story). After 9 years of sailing, not a single viewer has been able to see the earlier damage, inside or out, including myself.

Damage Stbd.JPGRepair week 1.2.JPGRepair week 3.1.JPGLOKI Profile Crop.jpg

Parrothead

Member III
I have raced in my youth but never adopted or even understood the racing mindset when it comes to 6MPH sailboats. More to the topic of this thread, if I were an insurance actuary I would include a policy disclaimer that suspends coverage during organised racing activity. You want to race? Fine, but do it at your own risk and on your own dime.

CTOlsen

Member III
Racing

I have raced in my youth but never adopted or even understood the racing mindset when it comes to 6MPH sailboats. More to the topic of this thread, if I were an insurance actuary I would include a policy disclaimer that suspends coverage during organised racing activity. You want to race? Fine, but do it at your own risk and on your own dime.

Take it up with your insurance company. Everyone racing has insurance.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Racing is just another activity you engage in with your boat. While the "chess game" gets quite involved in using the racing rules to gain an advantage, the ColRegs still apply. I suspect that insurers focus on that.
If I am mistaken, someone correct me.

I know of boats that were holed while racing and others that were holed by another 'cruiser'. Being T-boned only requires that someone not pay enough attention, and both parties can still be ruled to be at least partly at fault.

Formal racing damage usually involves the use of protest jury and this may influence the insurers, altho I believe that they consider those published results as advisory, along with the evidence from the involved boaters and any witnesses.