• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Window Covers for Dodger

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I'm bringing the dodger in for a little work this winter, so I have a "while I'm in there working on it" question. I see a fair percentage of Dodgers that have canvas covers over the window panels. I'm wondering what kind of results people have had with these. Obviously, it should cut down on UV damage, but I'm wondeing if dust and dirt gets under the covers anyway, and then just abrades against the "glass."

Anyone have experience with these?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I do not have canvas covers over my dodger glass and not having them don't seem t be a problem. In fact I'm about due for a new dodger (the canvas is a bit shabby) but the plastic glass seems in great shape considering the years. However, I did have covers made for the forward and center hatches on our 32-3 and they have been scratched up from grit (or whatever) getting under the covers over the years. I figure that the hatch plastic is much harder then dodger "glass".

Dave N

Member III
We had all new canvas made 3 seasons ago. They made covers for the dodger glass and lined the inside of them with a quilted soft material. Bob, consider using one of the new rigid plastics. We used a 60 gauge Bayer product called Makrolon. The stuff is amazing, far superior to the old plastics. We were told that the covers were also to protect the stitching from UV degradation. Our previous boat had covers for the conventional dodger plastic and after 15 seasons there was no evidence of any scratching.

Last edited:

debonAir

Member III
We used a 60 gauge Bayer product called Makrolon. The stuff is amazing, far superior to the old plastics..

Makrolon is Polycarbonate (Lexan). 60 gauge would be quite rigid I think, i.e. the dodger isn't going to fold down. I think regular windows are vinyl and fold up easy. I suppose I've only folded mine down a few times and there were enough snaps involved a few more wouldn't change the operation much. I wonder how long the Makrolon windows hold up to UV and scratching. Car headlight lenses are made of the same stuff and hold up a long time but they are also coated with an abrasive resistant layer I think.