• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winch maintenance - some bad advice

BillyT

Trying to be a good maintenance guy I decided to give my sheet winches a full service. They are Barient 19 st and a previous owner has kindly left a printed service routine, so I knew this would be a walk in the park.

They were ticking like a pair of Swiss watches but like many things in the boat they had probably not had any love for over 36 years so I jumped right in - WHAT WAS I THINKING!

Unfortunately unlike other winches I have serviced you have to remove the winch base to get at the central palls and springs. Yikes, but I'm on a roll now so on with the show.

Had to remove the stbd cockpit shelf to get to the nuts but it needed work anyway so no biggie. When I finally reached them I found they were on bolts almost twice as long as required and had lashings of the devil's glue in the holes and right along the threads. I could only do an 8th turn or so with an open ender, and when the nuts were off the bolts were so glued in that I took the skin off my palms unscrewing them. Five very long hours later I had one winch fully serviced and re assembled.

So my bad advice is - if you have B19 winches that are ticking along nicely, but are toying with the idea of a full service anyway, make sure you have a couple of days spare and good gloves before you jump in, alternatively you could wash the dog, fill the car with gas, mow the lawn or do absolutely anything else on your to-do list.

A more useful piece of advice is that the central palls and springs are smaller than the outer ones which are the most common size available so you'll have to find both sizes to do a full service.

Bill

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, the winch bases came off pretty easily on the 32-3--and not all Barient models require removing the base for service.

But yeah, when it's your turn, it's your turn.

Good work!

BillyT

Well, the winch bases came off pretty easily on the 32-3--and not all Barient models require removing the base for service.

But yeah, when it's your turn, it's your turn.

Good work!

Thanks Christian

Tough job but I'm happy I took it on. Will do the port winch when the skin grows back on my hands!

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_2610.JPG
    IMG_2610.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 96