• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Your mileage may vary -- i have an e32-2 with a 5416 diesel which is good for. . .

Ensenada Crab

Member I
a newbie by any standard, i am curious how far a 32-2 will go with 15 gallons of fuel and a 5416 universal diesel--w/ two bladed prop. 1,000 rpm seems to move the boat along quite nicely at about 5+ knots). . .so while a few more rpm might increase the speed somewhat, at 1,000 rpms that engine is not even breathing hard and the hull is well within limits. so the setup should be exceptionally efficient.

looking at the universal literature the engine is burning about .4 gallons per hour @ 1,000 rpm, in theory.
so 15 gallons @ .4 gph = 37.5 hours @ 6 mph = about 225 miles. . . but in reality?
capture-20181201-180517.jpg

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I kept good records for more than 100 hours for a 5432, 4-cylinder Universal.

.5 gallons/ hour at 1700 rpms, which yields 5 knots on my boat in many conditions.

So the chart is probably reality.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have an E30+ with your same 5416 16 hp diesel engine. The specs on our boat have displacement at 9,000 lbs, but I usually have water in the tanks, an almost full diesel fuel tank to avoid condensation, extra water and food aboard, some beer and wine, good books, CDs, charts, extra spares, lines, etc. Your boat displaces more, but not so very much more.

Over the past 12 years the fuel usage has not varied, and we motor about 150 engine hours per year. During that time, running at about 5.5 knots on average, probably about 2,000 rpms (I used to have a hand held tach), we have averaged one litre diesel fuel per hour. Our tank holds 95 litres (25 gallons) of fuel, so I can go 95 x about 5.5 knots for just over 500 nautical miles per fuel tank.

This is a bit theoretical, as I would never run my fuel tank that low without refilling it, and mileage varies a bit with conditions--wind, waves, currents, etc. However, I do clean the hull often--every 10 days in the summer and once a month in the winter, as I find any algae growth, not to mention barnacles, makes a huge difference in boat speed/fuel usage. I like swimming, so it's easy for me, though not so much in the cold winter waters.

But I use one litre per engine hour as a very reliable guide to how much fuel I've used and when to refill.

However, you mention motoring at about 1,000 rpms--my understanding is that diesel engines will carbon up if not run at fairly high temperatures and about 80% of their max. rpms (max rpms on the 5416 are 2,800 according to the manual), so you may want to increase your rpms to the 2,000 to 2,200 range to avoid future engine problems.

Frank

Last edited: