• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tsunami info PNW/Oregon

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
In case anyone in the PNW didn't know, our state geologists have been developing tsunami inundation and evacuation maps all along the coast.
Oregon Geology and Sea Grant have a new tsunami guidance brochure just for boaters. https://www.oregongeology.org/pubs/tsubrochures/TsunamiBrochureMaritime.pdf
When should you consider taking the boat to sea? When should you forget the boat and run? What do you do if you're already at sea?
They are slowly releasing port-specific guidance. So far available for Newport and Astoria.
https://www.oregongeology.org/pubs/mtrg/index.htm

A propos of this weeks Alaska earthquake and also the Astoria brochure was just released this week.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the post. While I don't live near or boat on the coast (yet), I monitor the Twitter feeds of the National Tsunami Warning Center (NTWC) in Alaska and the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) in Hawaii. They back each other up in case of ... an earthquake or other problems that might prevent operations. I have toured the PTWC, which is located on Ford Island in the Pearl Harbor Naval Base. Their arrays of instrumentation along the Pacific Rim is impressive. It's a little bit of a hassle to get a tour, but the PTWC and the NOAA facility housing it are pretty cool.

Full disclosure - I crewed on a race boat named Tsunami for a couple seasons.

907Juice

Continuously learning
Thanks for the post. While I don't live near or boat on the coast (yet), I monitor the Twitter feeds of the National Tsunami Warning Center (NTWC) in Alaska and the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) in Hawaii. They back each other up in case of ... an earthquake or other problems that might prevent operations. I have toured the PTWC, which is located on Ford Island in the Pearl Harbor Naval Base. Their arrays of instrumentation along the Pacific Rim is impressive. It's a little bit of a hassle to get a tour, but the PTWC and the NOAA facility housing it are pretty cool.

Full disclosure - I crewed on a race boat named Tsunami for a couple seasons.

Lol, I’m not usually a superstitious person... but I’m not exactly sure I’d get on a boat names tsunami...

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
but I’m not exactly sure I’d get on a boat names tsunami...

(laughing) when I was a kid I raced for a bit on an Ericson-37 in Newport Beach called Tsunami. Bright yellow IIRC.

After racing on boats called "Seduction", "Concubine", "Mistress" and the like, my mom was pretty happy to have me switch to boat named in a different vein.