• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 28+ anchor drain

oglesbydax

My wife and I just purchased our Ericson 28+ and we are in the process of fixing it up. This is our first sailboat. Seems like a lot of stuff to worry about, but I know we are going to love it.

I do have a question with regard to the drain in the anchor compartment. The previous owner must have stowed it away in the compartment with mud on it or something because now the compartments drain is clogged with a bunch of little rock and sand and stuff like that. I have tried digging it out, but I am fearful of cutting the hose or tubing that may lead out of the boat and into the water.

Is anyone familiar with the drain system of the anchor compartment, or is there a way I can unclog the drain without damaging the tubing or hose?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My first move is a coathanger wire probed gently up from the stem, rather than down from the anchor well.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Also, check out the related threads at bottom of page ("Similar Threads").

Last edited:

Don Smith

Member II
My E26 has a similar set-up. There's a short piece of rubber hose leading from the locker drain hole to the exterior drain hole.

Put a couple of gallons of soapy water into the anchor locker. Then from outside insert a piece of somewhat stiff, insulated copper electrical wire into the drain hole and gently move it in and out it. That should clear it. (Yeah, I know, letting soapy water leak into the harbor is probably some sort EPA violation!)

After every sail I put the garden hose into the anchor locker and let it run fresh water over the anchor and chain to rinse off the salt water. Without this the anchor and chain will enventually rust, even though it's galvanized. But I sail in the Pacific Ocean and since you apparently sail in a fresh water lake this probably isn't an issue for you.

Fair winds!

Captain Don
Gitana - E26

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the E38 it's just easier, from a floating dock. Some boats have hoses, flexible, pretty easy to clear. Some have much narrower tubes. Either way, just be gentle.

You can also try blowing debris out with a hose.

There should be access from the V-berth, one way or another, to work on the hose itself if necessary. Might require panel surgery.

But if there are no signs of water incursion into the boat, just a full anchor locker, mechanical clearing of the line is the place to start.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
What year was the boat made?

My 87' 28/2 had a very short and bent section of gray water line as the anchor well drain. The water line is tough and can take some aggressive probing. Maybe yours is similar.

oglesbydax

Can't thank you all enough! I will will give it a go and let you know how it works out. Hopefully will be able to clear the drain without the surgery. Thank all!!!

hmdjamesh

Member I
Drain clogged, too

I’m a newbie, recently purchased Ericsonn26-2, 1987 and have tried to unclog anchor locker drain without luck
Does the drain go through bow or drain into the bilge (hope not)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Look at the outside of the bow, just above the waterline a ways.

Might be a hole there with a tiny bit of copper tubing sticking out. The locker drain hose is clamped onto the tube on the inside in our '88 boat. Might not be the same, but maybe it might be.....

sharonov

Member II
I use a piece of 1x19 SS rigging wire cut from my old standing rigging. It made for a very efficient tool to unclog the anchor locker drain. Sounds a bit drastic but did not seem to damage anything.

Second Star

Member III
E28+ Anchor Locker Drain

The above photo shows where the drain hose exits from the stem near the waterline on our 1981 E28+.
Once I cut a hatch into the forepeak at the foot of the vee berth (and installed a removable hatch plate) I discovered
a piece of clear plastic hose about 3/8 in. with very little slack in it.
There is no valve.
It appears to be stock and original. With a 6 in. hole in the forepeak I can't reach the point of attachment to the copper or brass "pipe" the exits the hull. The only way I can see to get at the outboard end of the hose is to remove the large number of bolts or screws holding the anchor tray into place in the deck, break the sealant and remove the tray. Hope you can get the blockage out!

Rheasunshine

Drain disconnected?

Hi all,

I have a similar question about my recently purchased 1986 E26-2. Except in my case, the surveyor and I noticed the anchor drain in the bow was plugged up with a bad patch job. We don't know if it was accidental or on purpose. Anyway, we cleared it out and stuck a coat hanger inside, but I can stick it almost all the way in and hear it hitting the inside of the hull. I can see it at all from inside the forward birth and no water seems to be coming in through the bow hole. The space where the anchor locker is is so tight I can't get my hands underneath or around it to see if there is still a hose or to install one.

Side note- there is evidence of moisture intrusion in the forward birth as some of the cabin wood is rotted and the cushion was a bit damp. However, this was a while ago and I took her through pretty rough seas and there was no more signs of intrusion and only about 1 inch extra in the bilge, which I assume was from the many rogue waves that day...

Thanks all!!!!

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Hi all,
I have a similar question about my recently purchased 1986 E26-2. Except in my case, the surveyor and I noticed the anchor drain in the bow was plugged up with a bad patch job. We don't know if it was accidental or on purpose. Anyway, we cleared it out and stuck a coat hanger inside, but I can stick it almost all the way in and hear it hitting the inside of the hull. I can see it at all from inside the forward birth and no water seems to be coming in through the bow hole. The space where the anchor locker is is so tight I can't get my hands underneath or around it to see if there is still a hose or to install one.
Side note- there is evidence of moisture intrusion in the forward birth as some of the cabin wood is rotted and the cushion was a bit damp. However, this was a while ago and I took her through pretty rough seas and there was no more signs of intrusion and only about 1 inch extra in the bilge, which I assume was from the many rogue waves that day...
Thanks all!!!!

I'd have to think that the drain hose connecting the bottom of your anchor well and the exit hole in the stem has separated from the anchor well, and that blocking the drain hole was PO's solution for stopping water getting in and running under the V-berth. In another thread, I recently posted a pic of what the drain hose set-up looked like on my anchor well, which I have totally removed to make a bigger space for rode. But, my drain hose was very securely attached to the bottom of the anchor well - maybe yours was not so tight?
If your coat hanger is scratching the inside panels of the hull, then water that comes in through the stem drain hole will definitely drain down to the bilge area under the V-berth. If there's no limber hole at the base of the first bulkhead if finds, or if it's blocked somehow, it'll accumulate there - not good!
I suggest you remove the anchor well pan to see what's going on (see my recent post about removing my pab). There was also a recent discussion about how the factory likely installed the drain hose in the beginning - that discussion will help you re-install it if yours has come off, as you reinstall the anchor well pan. I decided not to re-install the pan - I am making my anchor well completely water-tight - I'll either install a bilge pump in a sturdy cage at the bottom of my anchor well, or I'll just suck/mop out water as needed.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I'd have to think that the drain hose connecting the bottom of your anchor well and the exit hole in the stem has separated from the anchor well, and that blocking the drain hole was PO's solution for stopping water getting in and running under the V-berth. In another thread, I recently posted a pic of what the drain hose set-up looked like on my anchor well, which I have totally removed to make a bigger space for rode. But, my drain hose was very securely attached to the bottom of the anchor well - maybe yours was not so tight?
If your coat hanger is scratching the inside panels of the hull, then water that comes in through the stem drain hole will definitely drain down to the bilge area under the V-berth. If there's no limber hole at the base of the first bulkhead if finds, or if it's blocked somehow, it'll accumulate there - not good!
I suggest you remove the anchor well pan to see what's going on (see my recent post about removing my pab). There was also a recent discussion about how the factory likely installed the drain hose in the beginning - that discussion will help you re-install it if yours has come off, as you reinstall the anchor well pan. I decided not to re-install the pan - I am making my anchor well completely water-tight - I'll either install a bilge pump in a sturdy cage at the bottom of my anchor well, or I'll just suck/mop out water as needed.
Take a look at this thread, with some excellent information and pictures by former list member Randy Shelman. (He has since sold his E26.) Although the thread originally started out discussing the Ericson 34, it also includes this information about the anchor locker in our 26s. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...ing-chain-locker&p=84080&viewfull=1#post84080

Rheasunshine

Thank you! I like the anchor well and the idea of it draining automatically. I think I will try to fix that instead of sealing it up completely. I agree with you that the water should be coming in through that hole in the stem, but I did not see a significant level in the bilge after going through some pretty rough seas the other day. I guess I can carefully try to get some water in there and see where is goes... preferably not though.