• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing cushions

frick

Member III
my Long Island cushions

I replaced all my cushion in my E29.
I took all the old ones to the shop
and they replaced all of them for? $1750.

Shop around

Rick

tpcorrigan

Member II
I had a couple of interior cushions replaced on my 1985 E26. I was advised by a couple of sages at the marina to avoid marine shops and find an auto upholstery shop. I took the worn cushions to an auto shop and they used them as patterns to make new ones. They were able to closely match the original blue fabric and did a good job. When I first visited the shop I noticed that they were working on restoring a couple of expensive luxury cars, which was a sign to me that they do quality work. I don't remember the cost, it was not cheap, but it was considerably less than those mentioned in the previous threads.

Captain Don
Gitana - E26

Got to love the Amish.

We had our E27 cushions done last year. they were covered in navy Naugahyde and we did not choose piping. the two midships berths received new foam. chose the Naugahyde because you can just wipe it off but it is colder to sit on at first.

Total of 5 saloon cushions and 2 for the cockpit. total cost was around $1200 for all including the new foam. I know us "Great Lakers" are a world away from you but you can't beat the Amish. Here is the contact info for Erb's:

Erb's Upholstery
2529 TR 406
Sugarcreek, OH 44681
330-893-2140

Needless to say, I don't believe they have Email, or sail boats for that matter, but they are really good at upholstery.

Sounds far from you and sketchy but they have done 2 boats for us in the last few years and their work is excellent as well as reasonable, even with shipping for us.

TPCorrigan
Fairview Park, OH
E27

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Another Option?

When I was looking at boats before buying my E32, I looked at several that had mis-matched cushions. I decided I could readily live with different fabrics in different compartments--i.e. V-berth vs main cabin vs quarterberth, but did not want mis-matched cushions in the main cabin.

The large V-berth means there is a lot of fabric on those cushions. I considered cannibalizing the V-berth cushions (and re-doing them with different material) and using that fabric to repair the damaged portions of the settee cushions. I figured a few extra sewn-in seams on a setee cushion would be better than having to use all new material. I didn't buy that boat so I never had to see that one through.

As someone else mentioned earlier, I am now considering chopping off the back 2/3 of my quarterberth cushion. As is, it's the largest single cushion on the boat and it's hard to store. I don't think anyone will sleep in my quarterberth, at least not while I own the boat. The forward 1/3 of the cushion is nice for appearance, and for a nav table seat cushion, but the back 2/3 is where I store extra ground tackle, dock lines, oars, exterior cushions, etc. Shortening the cushion would give me several feet of fabric for future repairs, too.

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
42251808_269099500394121_5401857595986149376_n.jpg

For discussion's sake, this is the $8k quote I mentioned ($9k with tax). To make sure we're all talking apples to apples, I was looking at brand new cushions for the whole boat -- the foam is well crushed in all the places you wouldn't want it to be. My main issue has been sleeping in someone else's body-shaped divot...so maybe I'll start with the v-berth and q-berth and work my way into the saloon from there.

Assuming prices for the materials are fair in this quote, I just don't see how brand new cushions for the whole boat could be anything less than at least $2-3k, but I assume some places would probably not charge $100/hr labor. Of course, this is Seattle, and nothing here is cheap. For the price difference I'd consider driving over the mountains to the desert.

CSMcKillip

We had 14 made for the E33RH. The 3 in the forpeak used 8” of memory foam, the Settee area had 5 cushions per side and used a harder 6” foam. This fabric is an off white / cream linen. The rear quarter birth is one larger cushion and we used 8” memory foam here again with a dark blue with a Khaki pattern to match the settee....

We used all higher end Sunbrella fabric that we purchased thru Sailrite.

We went to 2 different local gals, both failing to even start after supplies and cushions were dropped off. . We got pissed after the second lady just told us she became too busy with another project... both were recommended as great apolster.

Thats when I found JSI- Island Nautical. I was shipped paper to make a pattern, mailed it back along with the materials we already purchased and had Jane make the cushions for us. This is the same company that provides Catalina their cushions on their larger yachts.... $3200.00

HerbertFriedman

Member III
has anyone used Ultrasuede, I know it is very expensive, $99 per yd at Sailrite? But I can sew cushions and this gives me a good reason to upgrade my cheap knock off model to the better Ultrafeed model.

BTW, the last set of cushions I had made for my old Tartan30 used Sunbrella but there are two types, one for external use and the other for internal use, the latter being much softer.

907Juice

Continuously learning
I’d rather spend the coin on getting the proper and best foam. If you have your own machine, then you can use decent material and replace as needed. I’ve already almost made my money back from buying a sailrite machine and I’m only 3 projects in. It isn’t professional quality, but it works!

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I am interested in your remark that the Utrafeed machine is not professional quality.

I know that my cheapie knock off machine and the real Ultrafeed have oscillating bobbins versus rotating bobbins for the professional machines. That does make a difference in what UV resistant thread you use. According to the mavens at Sailrite, the tenara does not work well in the Utrafeed machines, only the professional machines with rotating bobbins but they recommended another brand which works very well in my machine.

What other qualities do you think the Utrafeed machines lack? I know that the professional machines have a longer arm so that it is easier to sew large pieces of material, but anything else?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It is professional quality for a portable machine.

And in my amateur opinion, Tenera thread isn't worth the expense and added skill set.

A sail cover made with semi flat felled seams*, the way most of us do it, will hold together as long as the Sunbrella looks presentable.

And if you own a sewing machine, you could then restitch as necessary.

However, a 10-year-old sail cover at my latitude is old by then, so time for an new one anyhow.

*One of two seams is protected from UV, which is what destroys standard thread before the Sunbrella fabric.

Last edited:

907Juice

Continuously learning
I am interested in your remark that the Utrafeed machine is not professional quality.

I know that my cheapie knock off machine and the real Ultrafeed have oscillating bobbins versus rotating bobbins for the professional machines. That does make a difference in what UV resistant thread you use. According to the mavens at Sailrite, the tenara does not work well in the Utrafeed machines, only the professional machines with rotating bobbins but they recommended another brand which works very well in my machine.

What other qualities do you think the Utrafeed machines lack? I know that the professional machines have a longer arm so that it is easier to sew large pieces of material, but anything else?

No no no... the machine is amazing!! Me, not so much... I’m not professional quality. In my defense, I’m not making dresses, it is mostly sewing straight lines, squares, and circles. My only complaint is that I wish the arm was a little longer. But I bought the compact one for a reason.

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

I have a Singer Featherweight that I sewed canvas with, granted it will not go thru the clear venal but for a 65year old box it does a great job. I have been sewing stuff for several years and find that my next purchase will be a good sewing/ leather machine... but I have a day job and do this for myself...

here are are the photos of my interior. Frankly when I looked at cost associated with what I make at an hourly rate I couldn’t beat the price I payed, plus.... they are fantastic! They have now been in use for 5 years and with the material we purchased I have no problem with any stains or cleaning.

F1BD1FA6-A982-4C7E-8BC7-1F9261652D06.jpg 0E1898A2-EA8D-43EF-A9A9-4B17AAEDE392.jpg4E57AADC-5C35-4241-91FB-FE021BE1DFEF.jpgFFFBF744-78EB-473C-80CE-B492E8507FF6.jpg

907Juice

Continuously learning
I’ve had a blast with my machine. I’ve sown through some pretty heavy canvas with it. If the machine Boggs down, it has a hand wheel to roll it through a zipper and a couple layers of canvas.

907Juice

Continuously learning
My wife jokes with all of her friends that she has caught me watching YouTube sewing videos...BABY, IM JUST LOOKING AT THE NEWS... REALLY!!!! So, I’m really watching sailrite videos don’t tell her please.