• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing cushions

hmdjamesh

Member I
I have recently purchased Ericson 26-2, 1987 but want to replace the cabin cushions
Does anyone have a recommendation on where to look for new cushions?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Non-marine upholsterers may be more available than marine specific shops, and they may be less expensive too. They may come to take measurements, but I have also brought them diagrams with measurements of my cushions and that has worked well. But do find a reputable person and ensure that you have agreement on the material and quality, as well as the kind of foam (closed cell/open cell, firmness, thickness, etc.) before you finalize a contract. If the old cushions are a good fit, you could bring those and then they can see what they need to do, if you are ordering a direct replacement.

Good luck!
Frank

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I got quoted $8k for a full cushion overhaul on my 32. Marine upholsterer :) guess who's boat is keeping the original upholstery!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I haven't had cushions replaced for a few years, but even with inflation, that sounds ridiculous to me. Maybe I just don't have up to date costs, but I would for sure get a second, and even a third quote, including some from non marine upholstery shops.
Frank

markvone

Sustaining Member
I've gotten two quotes for full cushion replacement, new foam, phifertex mess bottoms and sunbrella marine fabric for my E36RH. There are 7 berth cushions, 2 seatbacks, nav seat and v-berth filler, 11 total. I got quotes from a reasonable, local, suburban MD, cushion shop that has done cushions for my patio chairs and a shop in the Philadelphia garment district. These are about 5 years old now. Both were right around $5000. I've decided this will be my last project when I've got everything else all cleaned up and upgraded.

Mark

nquigley

Sustaining Member
One of my boat's PO's must have had sticker shock too - my boat came with different fabric in the saloon than in the forepeak and quarterberth.
--> Maybe you could consider just having the most-worn/damaged(?) squabs replaced first, and then, when you're over that sticker shock a year or two later, have the others done. You could perhaps buy enough of the same fabric now for the other squabs and just store it, if you're worried it won't be available when you come back later. I think the foam and the labor represent the bulk of the cost, and not the actual fabric.

Parrothead

Member III
Thinking outside the box

I spoke with three marine upholsterers for new cushions. One wanted to charge $100.00 just for the proposal. She was dismissed forthwith. The other two were priced in the $4500.00 ~ $5000.00 range (15 cushion package), also too rich for my blood.

I approached the local Regional Occupational Center, the current iteration of old school shop class. Among other trades they had an auto upholstery shop that I had previously used for project cars for my kids' first cars and did BEEYOUTEEFULL work. I met with the class instructor to discuss my project because boat cushions are traditionally quite different from automobile interiors. By the time we were done we had a plan tailored to the shop's skills.

• He would use my project as a real world final exam for the class. Good for him and good for me too because the students would have greater skills compared to the start of the class.
  • I would have to pattern the cushions myself. No students would be allowed to travel to the marina and any fitment issues were on me.
  • I would have to provide all the materials. This was the same as the earlier automotive projects. The instructor had relationships with local suppliers at deep discounts.
  • Rather than zippered bags, my cushions would be plywood backed to allow the use of staple guns and adhesives. I was to supply the plywood already cut to shape. I was fine with that because I felt the cushions would hold their shape better over time and also that is how at least one high end boat manufacturer does theirs, Island Packet.
  • My chosen fabric would not have a pattern. This was my choice because if it did I would expect the pattern to be aligned from seat backs through the seat bottoms and symmetrical through the miters. With oddly shaped cushions this is exceedingly difficult. I'm fussy that way.
  • I would deliver the materials for no more than four cushions at a time, when they were done I'd pick them up and deliver the next four. He did not want a massive pile of materials cluttering the shop.

The fabric I chose was 100% synthetic, matching thread too. I provided a box of stainless staples that fit their guns and a roll of gray vinyl fabric (ebay) to cover the plywood on the backs for a finished, professional appearance. I've been pleased with the results, they're as nice as any professional cushions I've ever seen and I've seen thousands. The cushions are now 12 years old and still look like new.

Total project cost was $1500.00 which included a $300.00 gift to the class for an end of semester party. After it was done the instructor told me the students were begging to work on my project, they loved it.

Attachments

• 2-14 interior dinette.jpg
    2-14 interior dinette.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 26
  • C30 Engine battery switch.jpg
    C30 Engine battery switch.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
One of my boat's PO's must have had sticker shock too - my boat came with different fabric in the saloon than in the forepeak and quarterberth.

Was I the previous owner of your boat?

I've owned my 87 E-34 since 1996. A few years after buying it I replaced the aft cabin cushion. The problem was the foam, but the original fabric was rotten from condensation (?) on one side and the pattern was no longer available so I used a solid color. Some years later the seat cushion foam gave out so I had that replaced, without buttons. Two years ago some of the seat fabric had given out so I replaced all of the fabric on the seats and the backs. I used the same solid color as the aft cabin. The aft cabin foam has also been replaced again.

We use the V-berth for storage and have not yet had any complaints from the cockpit cushions or spare blankets, so it is still original with the white specks.

In other words, it doesn't all have to be done at once.

I did make one mistake. When I had the aft cabin cushion made I should have split it into two pieces. It would have been much easier to handle.

One question: Why do people use Sunbrella for interior cushions? It's great for dodgers & biminis, but those qualities aren't needed in the cabin. What am I missing?

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Welcome to the new world of everything is expensive. The quote for Terra Nova's salt soaked cushions was $8,700. The work was good enough that I will trust them to do the seats on my old classic Porsche. That's another $1,200.

Do all the cushions that can be seen together at the same time. Fabrics get discontinued all the time just like clothes so you don't want to get stuck with two different fabrics in the cabin.

Good luck!

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
One question: Why do people use Sunbrella for interior cushions? It's great for dodgers & biminis, but those qualities aren't needed in the cabin. What am I missing?

Laziness likely - "Sunbrella is boat fabric, I have a boat, therefore I will stop my research here."

Seriously though, at the risk of turning this thread into something else entirely, what are other good fabrics to use for boat upholstery? The only real qualities I think are necessary are moisture resistance, durability, and comfort.

My current cushions are a really nice green velvety type material and it pains me that I can't find a close replacement. Green isn't a super 'in" color for interiors right now, I guess.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
My current cushions are a really nice green velvety type material and it pains me that I can't find a close replacement. Green isn't a super 'in" color for interiors right now, I guess.

Finding the fabric is the upholsterer's job. Mine found the same material & color (blue) as the original without the specs.

Dave N

Member III
Two years ago we decided to replace ours as well and ended up using a marine canvas shop. Nothing wrong with the old ones(blue in photo) but my wife wanted to update. There are endless choices for fabric and foam, take your time. We ended up with the fabric shown in the salon and nav station as clean up is a breeze. We used different fabrics in the V and Q berths. Breathable material on bottoms. Our original cushions had a 1 inch softer layer of foam adhered to the thicker bottom layer and this felt luxurious, we did not realize this until the new ones were made. I would definitely pursue this "double density", additional cost would be minimal. We had matching pillows and a custom v-berth quilt made up as well, all for around $8K. Crazy money but looks very nice and dramatically updates the interior.
new 2.jpgnew 1.jpgold.jpg

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Two years ago we decided to replace ours as well and ended up using a marine canvas shop. Nothing wrong with the old ones(blue in photo) but my wife wanted to update. There are endless choices for fabric and foam, take your time. We ended up with the fabric shown in the salon and nav station as clean up is a breeze. We used different fabrics in the V and Q berths. Breathable material on bottoms. Our original cushions had a 1 inch softer layer of foam adhered to the thicker bottom layer and this felt luxurious, we did not realize this until the new ones were made. I would definitely pursue this "double density", additional cost would be minimal. We had matching pillows and a custom v-berth quilt made up as well, all for around $8K. Crazy money but looks very nice and dramatically updates the interior.

Your old cushions look exactly like mine, except mine are green. I really like that fabric - anyone know if that's EY original? If so, is it documented at all what kind of fabric it is?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I've gotten quotes (mostly at the boat show) of 7k and upwards to re-do the fabric on my (16!) interior cushions, re-using the same foam. All new cushions would be >10k from the boat-upholsterers I've talked to (not in the cards).

I'm going to pursue two other (local) options when this rises high enough on my list of things that need doing.

-- a couple of friends who own RVs highly recommend a place called "Hoglunds", in Everett, which apparently does everything from car seats to RV upholstery, and doesn't care if the "RV" is a boat.

-- the young lady who has done a fabulous (and surprisingly reasonable) job of making some covers for Makana says she also makes cushions. So I figure I'll get a quote from her.

I'm planning to re-use the foam - it's dual-density, quite comfortable and in great shape. My only exigent issue is that some of the high-wear cushions (settee, dinette, and the cushion at the nav table) are past the point where darning the thin-spots is a long term solution. I've fixed a couple of weak spots with iron-on patches inside and color-matched thread to take care of any pulling, but I think the clock is ticking more loudly each year. Sewing new covers myself is waaaay outside my skillset (and I can prove it). So at this point I'm thinking I'll get estimates on "main salon" for next year, and do v-berth/q-berth at some later date.

Ambivalent on fabric. I do not like sitting/sleeping on Sunbrella, and as Christian says it isn't needed below, so hoping to find something that is comfy, and wears well. Having said that, the places where the fabric is weakest seem to correspond with where summer sunlight comes in through the hatches/deadlights, so... dunno.

Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One simple thing to do first is go to a big fabric store/outlet and get numerous color swatches or cloth samples.

What kind of fabric? Tell them it's for a couch that gets heavily used.

We really need to see--and live with for a few days--how the color works in the cabin under actual boat lighting conditions. All of my original ideas were far too dark.

[typed simultaneously with Bruce]

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
For the sunlight problem, I made sunbrella hatch covers and I use them religiously. They are also useful for those very long summer days. We don't get woke up at 4:30 in the morning by a beam of sunlight shining in. They also keep the hatches from crazing.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
FWIW - Recovering 13 cushions in 2015 cost $1800 at my local upholstery shop. I didn't replace the foam.

I assume I'm paying him too much because he has expanded into nicer places twice in the twenty five years I have dealt with him. Now I have to change my clothes before going into his shop. :rolleyes:

Don Smith

Member II
E26

I had a couple of interior cushions replaced on my 1985 E26. I was advised by a couple of sages at the marina to avoid marine shops and find an auto upholstery shop. I took the worn cushions to an auto shop and they used them as patterns to make new ones. They were able to closely match the original blue fabric and did a good job. When I first visited the shop I noticed that they were working on restoring a couple of expensive luxury cars, which was a sign to me that they do quality work. I don't remember the cost, it was not cheap, but it was considerably less than those mentioned in the previous threads.

Captain Don
Gitana - E26

Last edited: