• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

And so it ends

Navman

Member III
Went for a 3 day sail on Friday after Thanksgiving. I left the house and it was 10 degrees outside. Got to the marina and departed at 11:00 am for Annapolis. I needed to fuel up as I knew I was very low on fuel. It was up to 21 degrees when we departed. We were off of Baltimore Lighthouse when I decided it was going to be dark by the time we got to Annapolis so opted to go up the Magothy and anchor out for the night behind Dobbins Island as it was getting late. We hit 7 knots pretty steadily the whole way. Dont you know about 15 minutes after we diverted course we ran out of fuel! No problem, we sailed in and anchored for the night. It was very cold outside but my Little Buddy propane heater kept up warm through the night. We woke up Saturday, put my spare 5 gallon jug of fuel into the tank, bled the system and were off. We arrived at noon at Annapolis and put 50 gallons of fuel into the tank. So I now know that My tank holds 54 gallons. Instead of spending the night in Nap town we headed back for Dobbins Island as there was some snotty weather predicted. Just as we got North of the bay bridge it began to rain, sleet and snow! We were well dressed and prepared for it so again we sailed into our anchorage behind Dobbins Island. We left early Sunday morning and fought the tide all the way back to Worton Creek. Photo 1 shows the temperature when I left the house, photo 2 shows me during the storm ( not much to see here) and 3 shows by brother ( I had to go into my DNA pool to find someone of like mind when it comes to cold weather sailing). The last photo shows the absolutely gorgeous sunrise on Sunday. This weekend we unbend the sails and winterize the systems and get her ready to be pulled. I was hoping to get out for the weekend of the 14th, but that's out now so I guess that is it for the year.

And so it ends.jpgAnd so it ends 3.jpgAnd so it ends 4.jpgAnd so it ends 2.jpg

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Don,

Your a better man than I. As you know I hunkered down till the sun came out and the thermometer was above 50.

MJS

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I'm with you Don. The best sailing is fall and winter.
Better wind (+3kts avg.), steadier wind, no summer yahoos out there, no chance of thunderstorms, no baking in the heat, hot tea or coffee, hot soup. Ski pants, parka, fleece and I can always find a place out of the wind. I usually get too warm and have to peel layers.

David Grimm

E38-200
Sounds like you guys had a great time. Thank you for writing it up I enjoyed the read. This is my first season with a sailboat. Took her out of the water mid October due to fear of the unknown. Next year I'm going to shove off in the cold of November for winter storage in Florida!

Have a great winter!

Dave