Replace atomic 4 with Beta marine 28

Bigfish

Hello all. I'm new here and new to Ericson boats. I have the chance to purchase an Ericson 32-2 for next to nothing. It's in good shape except it needs an engine. The A4 in it is seized. I thought about swapping it with a Beta Marine 28 diesel. Has anyone done this? What was the appropriate cost? How's the performance compared to the A4? So many questions! Thanks for ANY and ALL advice!!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hello all. I'm new here and new to Ericson boats. I have the chance to purchase an Ericson 32-2 for next to nothing. It's in good shape except it needs an engine. The A4 in it is seized. I thought about swapping it with a Beta Marine 28 diesel. Has anyone done this? What was the appropriate cost? How's the performance compared to the A4? So many questions! Thanks for ANY and ALL advice!!

Several of us have the Betamarine engines. One trivia bit -- the Beta line seems to have a 25 and a 30 hp in distribution presently in the US. Are you being quoted on a new 28?
Given the displacement of the 32, I cannot see a need for any extra weight and hp need above the Betamarine25.
(I could imagine many owners being very happy with the Beta 20.)

If you view my blog here, that is the model that replaced the original Universal 23 hp engine. Also, Beta does provide a mounting system for replacing an A4 engine.

Aside: friend of mine recently did a two year restoration on an E-32-2, and it's a great sailing boat with more headroom inside than our Olson. It's quite a 'modern classic' Bruce King design.
Not like I have an opinion or anything tho...... :)

Post up some photos when you can.

Welcome to the EY group!
:egrin:

ps: link: https://www.betamarinenc.com/engine/beta-20-a4-replacement/

Last edited:

Bigfish

Thanks for the info! I'm going by some Ericson specs online saying it has a 30hp Atomic, and the 28 Beta seems to be the closest A4 drop in replacement. I'll have to ask the owner if it has a different engine. I do know it's a 1971 Ericson 32-2. I've only briefly looked at it, and will get a hull survey before I get it. I'm just weighing options right now. Thanks again!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks for the info! I'm going by some Ericson specs online saying it has a 30hp Atomic, and the 28 Beta seems to be the closest A4 drop in replacement. I'll have to ask the owner if it has a different engine. I do know it's a 1971 Ericson 32-2. I've only briefly looked at it, and will get a hull survey before I get it. I'm just weighing options right now. Thanks again!

Replaced my A-4 in ‘91 on my ‘73 E32-II with a Westerbeke 18hp 2 cylinder diesel. It literally bolted in place onto the motor mounts after turning two of the mounts upside down. It’s a strong engine and pushes the boat along as well as the A-4. I was looking to buy the 3 cylinder but the dealer said not to waste the extra money which impressed me to no end as well.

frick

Member III
e29 A 4 replacement

greeting

16 Years ago my A4 rusted to death.
I went with a yanmar Gm20f. It has a new number now.
It's a two cylinder that had the best reviews.

It was also lighter than the A4.

went to a one inch shaft, and a new prop. The yanmar also came compete with all new controls.

Love the yanmar

supersailor

Contributing Partner
This is the third time I have attempted a reply to this thread. The first two just suddenly disappeared with no trace so I will be more abbreviated on this one

Do not compare horsepower between a diesel and a gasolene engine. Torque (twisting force) and also the percentage of load the engine runs at are the imprtant factors. With a boat, you power up and leave the engine at a constant setting. This greatly favors the diesel as it likes to run at about 80% load all The time. Gasoline engines like to run at about 23% load and they like to vary speed which makes them great automotive engines.

If you oversize a diesel, it will run at a non optimal load and will likely carbon uo on you. Ask the manufacturer what size to install and stick with his recommendation and you will be a happy camper.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Welcome to the site, Big!

For what it's worth I've read of seized up A4s being resurrected without ever having to do major surgery. http://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4108

I have looked into replacing my A4 with diesel and it was nearing 10 grand with new fuel tank, new exhaust, controls, etc. I also looked at electric. In fact if my A4 ever dies I might just go electric, but most likely I'd just get a short block rebuilt A4.

Cory B

Sustaining Member

Having had an E32 with an A4 in the past, I think the "30HP" was a rather optimistic marketing claim. As others pointed, an 18-20HP-ish diesel would make an excellent replacement - much more than that would be wasted money & weight in my opinion.

The A4s are easy to work with, and your's might be salvageable with a little elbow grease. The Moyer Marine website is an amazing resource.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
As an aside, for those who don't know, the Atomic-4 engines sold for the Canadian market had an insert in the manifold to reduce the horsepower to something like 18 HP IIRC. Due to some odd import export regulation. You can pop that insert out with a screwdriver to restore full HP. The tell is that the name plate on the front of the engine says "Atomic Stevedore" instead of "Atomic-4." My boat has one but AFAIK, it has never lived in Canada. And of course, the actual HP delivered to the prop depends on how the rest of the drive train is set up.

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Of all the things to spend money on in a 1971 boat, a diesel refit is not one of them unless the rest of the boat is pristine. There is simply no need, when - at worst - a Moyer rebuilt A4 that is better than new can be dropped into the boat in, literally, less than a day, if you want to, for under $5k.

And chances are very high that the A4 in there now is not permanently seized. Once you get her running you may be amazed at how straightforward routine maintenance is. And if the concept of learning a little about gas engines is inherently unpleasant, you are not going to like the rest of nearly 50-year-old boat ownership either.

The world has changed since the early 1990s, when the poor A4 was an abandoned engine for which the replacement head gasket was - literally - a piece of cardboard, and for which there was no internet to accumulate owners’ wisdom and expertise. No wonder people replaced their A4s in droves back then. It is incredible what Moyer and his son-in-law have done to turn it into a bona fide good old engine.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I asked one of our guys to start his A4 for me a couple of years ago. It was quieter and made less vibration than my M25 diesel.

Parrothead

Member III
I asked one of our guys to start his A4 for me a couple of years ago. It was quieter and made less vibration than my M25 diesel.
That reminds me of an experience. Years ago I had my A-4 running with the boat backed into the slip. A neighbor was walking by on the dock and helpfully told me my bilge pump was running. With a smile I replied thanks but that's my engine. He said, "Man, I can't even hear it."

Tenders information is golden, Moyer Marine is incredible. The Atomic 4 hasn't been produced since about 1982 but today you can purchase a complete new block engine from Moyer. That's right, Moyer has his own blocks cast. He also offers them in varying stages of completion like bare blocks, short blocks, long blocks, etc.

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Atomic 4 replacement

In 2014, I replaced my Atomic 4 that was last rebuilt in 1975 with a used Moyer Atomic 4 from 2006. The Previous Owner (P.O.) said it had about 100 hours on it which looked about right. Pretty much a straight swap, complicated by having to rebuild the structure that holds the engine mounts because they were rusted completely through. Easy and Cheap, and when I have to replace this one in 2045, I'll probably buy a new Moyer engine.
-
On a side note, my reason for replacing the engine wasn't because the engine seized, but the starter wouldn't engage the flywheel anymore, and since the engine was so rusted that it looked like I could push my finger through the side of the block, we decided replacing it would be best. Even in that condition, it still ran like a top after hand starting it. These engines are bulletproof!

Dean
1970 E-32