• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Through hull sender sizes

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
This might go under the heading of “Stupid question #14376” but are all of the through hull senders the same size for depth and speed? I have two in the bow right now that slide in and out of plastic tubes. I am not sure what model the senders are, the gauges at the helm said Datamarine for speed and Horizon for depth, but now knowing how many splices of wire there were in the pedistal I am not confident this tells me much about the senders in the hull.

We are thinking of changing them out for a new raymarine or garmin suite, to include wind so we can get apparent wind information, but I am wondering if switching the sender out is as simple as running the plastic lock nut off the through hull, pulling the old one out and putting the new one in, or if I’m going to be cursing my new hardware while trying to install a new through hull??

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I don't know if there is a standard size.

But, you can easily pull out the current transducer and measure the diameter and length. Take a wood bung of the appropriate size, pull the old transducer, and put the bung in to plug the thru-hull while you measure. It's a little scary to have the inch-wide column of water coming into the boat for a second, but... it'll only be for a second. In my racing days (long ago), we used to pull the knotmeter transducer at the end of every race and replace it with a "dummy" plug to ensure that the paddlewheel stayed free of growth between races.

Once you have the transducer in hand, you can measure the size. Then you'll be able to determine whether a new transducer will fit the thru-hull you already have. Be sure to put the real transducer back in and tighten it in place when you're done...

ObNote, many of the manufacturers (Raymarine, Garmin, etc) still make dummy plugs with the same threaded cap as a "real" transducer to hold it securely in place. Once you know the size, might be worth getting one to have on hand if you ever want to pull the transducer in the future

$.02
Bruce