• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

End Caps stolen from toe rails on 1976 Ericson 27 !!

sallyjane823

We just noticed that both (port and starboard side) end caps are missing from the toe rail on our Ericson 27! The blue tape is covering the hole, and the nickel shows the size of the toe rail. Anybody have an idea where to get these?
toe rail end cap missing.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Maybe.

But are there caps on the other end to copy? If not, carve one out of wood.

Stick it in plaster, make a mold, apply mold release, fill the mold with epoxy and silica, pop it out and paint it hardware-store metallic silver.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
That's kinda funny... and sad, that someone would take tools to another person's boat and steal parts from it.

I had a similar (also kinda funny, but sad) event. On the last day of my return trip from this year's PNW rendezvous, I got enough breeze to make it worth unfurling my jib and... found that I didn't have a furling line. Instead, there was a small piece of cord tying my furling drum to the bow pulpit so the jib wouldn't unfurl. Someone had apparently decided they needed that 60 feet of line more than I did, and knew enough about boats to make it hard to notice.

Replaying the previous day or so, the only time I was off the boat long enough for that to happen was when I went to dinner at Roche Harbor... which means someone went onto my boat did it in the middle of a crowded marine in broad daylight. Urrrgh.

None of that means anything, except... I feel your pain.

Bruce

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Sad that there are thieves around

There are low lifes all over. I sent the bow cap from my E-28+ to a forum member who needed one and the thief has yet to pay me for it.

That's kinda funny... and sad, that someone would take tools to another person's boat and steal parts from it.

I had a similar (also kinda funny, but sad) event. On the last day of my return trip from this year's PNW rendezvous, I got enough breeze to make it worth unfurling my jib and... found that I didn't have a furling line. Instead, there was a small piece of cord tying my furling drum to the bow pulpit so the jib wouldn't unfurl. Someone had apparently decided they needed that 60 feet of line more than I did, and knew enough about boats to make it hard to notice.

Replaying the previous day or so, the only time I was off the boat long enough for that to happen was when I went to dinner at Roche Harbor... which means someone went onto my boat did it in the middle of a crowded marine in broad daylight. Urrrgh.

None of that means anything, except... I feel your pain.

Bruce

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
There are low lifes all over. I sent the bow cap from my E-28+ to a forum member who needed one and the thief has yet to pay me for it.

It is appropriate to replace 'thief' with a proper name so the rest of us who trust people on the site don't get bitten.

I've sent lots of stuff to people here and have never had a problem getting paid for postage or whatever. That said, Rick R., Bgary, Christian Williams, and others still owe me a martini and/or beer. I just can't afford the transportation to collect.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...Bgary and others still owe me a martini and/or beer. I just can't afford the transportation to collect.

Absolutely - debt acknowledged! But "must be present to win". (lol)

I'll be on your coast (Boston area) the week after thanksgiving. According to Google Maps, that's only about 150 miles from Clifton Park NY. Heck, if you make it that far I'd even buy you dinner....