• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

88' Ericson 34-2 - newly purchased

patrscoe

Member III
After narrowing down my sailboat search for a more suitable sailboat for the Chesapeake Bay than my Southern Cross 31, I have purchased a 1988 Ericson 34-2. I have looked at many different sailboats that I thought was the ideal candidate but I kept coming back to a E 34-2 or E35-3 and decided to make an offer on a 88' 34-2, was accepted, surveyed and closed this past weekend. Unfortunately I need to have it on the hard until early spring until I sail her down to my homeport. Although she needs some things like replace the current older batteries, replace water pump impeller and so on (basic maintenance) but overall, very pleased with the sailboat with a 25XP engine with very low hours and cannot wait to start sailing her. This should give me time to sell my SC31 either this early winter or spring.

Patrick

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Congratulations Patrick!
I have spent several days buddy-boating with a sister ship to yours. Fast boat!

Hope you enjoy next season. :)

Welcome to the EY site.
:egrin:

Last edited:

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Congrats Pat and welcome to the (Unofficial) Chesapeake Ericsons club.

Discovery (1983 30+) is located in Herrington Harbor North. Let's plan on getting coffee and adult beverages and talk Ericson maintenace.

MJS

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Good choice! Of course I'm not biased! The 34-2 sails to her rating in all conditions. They are particularly fast in very light airs.

Take advantage of the layover to replace all the hoses, particularly the ones leading to thru-hulls. Look at the galley sinks. My boat almost sank because the P.O. used a Kitchen tailpiece from the local hardware store and the drain hose slipped off the tail piece (another story). The engine raw water line was litterley falling apart. It goes from the seacock under the galley sinks, under the floorboards, to the raw water intake on the engine. This is an exceptionally difficult hose to replace. You may have to abandon it under the floorboards and run a new line. This is probably The major reason this hose is not changed very often at great peril to the boat. Be sure the sump pump is working (mine wasn't). Check The electrical terminals for corrosion. Electrical grease works well for protecting them.

Enjoy the new boat!

HerbertFriedman

Member III
regarding Bob's comment that the raw water hose from the galley under the sink to the engine, was hard to replace. that is correct. When I bought my 87 E34, I directed the yard to replace that and other hoses, thinking they could easily use the old hose as a messenger line to install the new hose. Not so, the hole in the TAFG through which the hose passed was a very tight fit. They had to remove a portion of the sole to replace that hose. Not really a big job, the sole went back together with new bungs. I think it was well worth doing.

patrscoe

Member III
Thanks!

The hose to the engine seacock was noted by the engine survey to be replaced because it was not a reinforced hose. I started a check list and a ongoing list of items that I would like to inspect and / or replace to ensure a safe sail in the early spring to my homeport off of the Rappahannock River.

Really looking forward to sailing her. Loved my SC31 but was difficult to get moving in light winds of any kind.

Patrick

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
regarding Bob's comment that the raw water hose from the galley under the sink to the engine, was hard to replace. that is correct. When I bought my 87 E34, I directed the yard to replace that and other hoses, thinking they could easily use the old hose as a messenger line to install the new hose. Not so, the hole in the TAFG through which the hose passed was a very tight fit. They had to remove a portion of the sole to replace that hose. Not really a big job, the sole went back together with new bungs. I think it was well worth doing.

I believe that EY really liked putting thru hulls under the galley sink. :rolleyes:
Our boat had an engine intake there, beside the sink drain. That engine intake hose went thru a convoluted path thru parts of the (partial) TAFG in our model. I glassed over that hole and put a new thru hull that led directly to a Groco strainer, all under the front part of the aft berth top. Easier to get at by far, and the hose lead to the front of the engine was a lot more straight forward.

The aft part of the wood cabin sole did indeed have to removed and put back.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
The engine raw water line was litterley falling apart. It goes from the seacock under the galley sinks, under the floorboards, to the raw water intake on the engine. This is an exceptionally difficult hose to replace. You may have to abandon it under the floorboards and run a new line.

I did this job last year. Also 20 + years ago. It might have been easier with another person to pull while I pushed, but the space is small enough for one person to pull & push at the same time. Using the old hose with a barbed union is all the messenger you need. You want to push more than you pull to keep the union from pulling out.

I tried to upload a pic of the hose under the sole as an edit, but the software wouldn't let me. Sorry.

Last edited: