• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wise preventive maintenance or simple stupidity??

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

I have a simple question that I ponder from time to time, for which I'm sure there is no easy answer. Everything on our boat is working well, has been maintained quite well, with careful records over the years. One task I have not done in our 12 years of ownership is to disassemble the cable/quadrant steering mechanism to examine each piece--sheaves, bushings, etc. I have regularly oiled the pedestal chain, oiled the sheave bushings and the cable, checked the cable tension and checked/tightened the nuts on the rudder stops. The wheel steering works fine, is smooth, with no grinding or sign of problems.

I am contemplating undoing the cable to enable me to turn the sheaves by hand to check friction, perhaps even remove the cotter pins to take the sheaves and bushings off to inspect more closely. Nigel Calder in his Bible advises against doing unnecessary preventive maintenance, but doing repairs at the first sign of any problem. That would suggest that I leave well enough alone, enjoy the boat as is, have a beer and go sailing. But the cautious, curious part of me is still wondering if there could be a potential problem lurking in those sheaves or bushings that should be examined before it shows itself at an inopportune time.

Any thoughts or advice as to whether to leave well enough alone in this case until there is some indication of wear or friction, or would you go ahead and disassemble it to check and be sure? I'm trying to keep our boat in her current great condition, and want to avoid trouble at inopportune times, but have been known by my wife and adult kids to be "a bit over the top".

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts, as always!

Frank

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Well I never disassembled or replaced my steering cable.....but after having a throttle cable fail I did decide to purchase and carry a spare steering cable and chain set. I can't remember the cost, but it seemed reasonable at the time.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The thing about wheel steering is you can pretty much see it all.

If nothing wiggles, that's good.

When we crawl under the cockpit to watch everything move--quadrant, cables, sheaves--we get a good picture of things. Especially if sailing in wind and seas with somebody else steering.

Does the rudder post bang around in its bearings? Does the rudder tube spew water in? Are there meathooks in the stainless cables? Is a cotter pin falling out?

All there to see if we look.

So--I say if it ain't broke....grease it.

(Bronze sheave bushings do wear out. The sheave wobbles. The axle hole becomes oblong. YS bronze bushings are to be replaced when necessary.)

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Bushings

At the very least plan on replacing all of the bronze bushings. If journeying far off shore carry spare chain, wire, thimbles and u-bolts.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks, guys! Those are all very helpful comments! I think I'll start by having someone turn the wheel while I watch from below to see if everything looks ok with no looseness or sign of trouble, as was suggested. If it's ok, i'll buy a couple of bronze bushings (does anyone know the correct size?) and I already carry spare cable and clamps in case the steering cable or shroud should break. I'll continue to grease it all regularly as well.

Frank

Teranodon

Member III
I had serious problems with my steering (worn pin on one of the sheaves). Fixing this was a pain (I described it in a posting). In terms of prevention, Christian has the right advice above.

How about the emergency steering? I did a review of it recently, and did a couple of things: made a jig for removing the cover on the steering post, and mounted the tiller in the lazarette so that it can be reached in seconds.