• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Insurance / Broker Recommendation

bkuchinic

Member II
Greetings fellow Ericson owners,

My insurance was cancelled effective 12/1/18 because Tradewinds (State National Insurance Company) is no longer insuring boats with values under $125K. My current policy premium is $500. My renewal quote from Norman Spencer agency is for $770 annual. Any advice for obtaining alternative coverage for my 1992 Ericson 34-II would be very welcome!

Thank you,

Brad

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
At the recommendation of a yacht-broker friend, I got Makana's insurance through Novamar (Craig Chamberlain). Very easy to work with, very responsive. Policy is underwritten by GEICO.

Offices in San Diego, Seattle, Sarasota and Mexico.

https://www.novamarinsurance.com/

I think my policy is ~475/year, $40k declared value, plus I have 300k of uninsured boater coverage and something on the order of $1M of spill-liability coverage.

Bruce

mfield

Member III
The underwriter for Boat US changed last year from Fireman's Fund to Geico. Boat US or direct to Geico will probably work. Our insurance bill last year was $640 for a hull value of $42K.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's the off-topic forum, so let me contribute this:

After 25 years (!) with AAA car insurance, I saved $1500 on a $5,000 annual premium by switching to Geico last month.

Same exact coverage. No apology from AAA.

I guess that means shop around.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just another data point. We have been with BoatUS for over a decade. No claims.
Our current agreed value is 75K, and our annual premium is $670.

I have no real idea if this is "good" or "bad"....

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Geico underwrites Boat US policies now. Just a point of interest. My agreed upon Value is $33000 and the premium is around $700 ($6XX.xx).