• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Using E32-2 Asym on E32-3

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hey folks. Potentially silly question below.

Per the for sale thread there's a gentleman selling a basically brand new asymmetrical, albeit for a 32-2. My understanding is it may be slightly undersized for the 32-3, which has a taller "I" measurement, but how much will this matter in reality? I think it's a difference of 100-150sqft.

It'd be great to add a chute to my boat for relatively cheap, but I'd hate for the performance to be disappointing - like is this the difference between a knot or two, or a tenth of a knot or two?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Potentially silly question below.

The size probably won't be a big deal. If I recall correctly, there's something like 4 feet difference between the "I" on a 32-2 and a 32-III. If you have the asym in an ATN sock or similar, that'll eat up about 18" of the difference. So it probably means you'll have a few more feet of tack-line out to get it to float well. Not a huge deal, especially if the price is right.

Having said that.... here are my indisputably random comments, which only peripherally answer your questions (grin)...

Many "cruising spinnakers" are compromise shapes made out of relatively heavy cloth. Where a racing A2 (a "running" shape") has big round shoulders and is probably 1/2-oz cloth, a cruising asym probably has narrower shoulders, less shape, and is out of 1.5oz (or 2.2oz) cloth. They do this so that it will work as an "all-around" sail, from close-reaching to running, with the idea that there won't be a racing crew aboard motivated to change sails as conditions or sailing angles change.

So... check into the shape and cloth, and set your expectations appropriately. Since you've been racing on the Sound, you know what a good kite can do. If this is a "cruising" kite, the shape and weight will probably limit performance more than missing a few feet of hoist will.

Doesn't mean it isn't worth buying (and flying), just... something to think about.

$.02
Bruce

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author

So I currently have a pretty heavy 135% genoa and have noticed that it's not a huge fan of going below a beam reach, but I have more playing around I need to do with the outside rails and such. It does, however, seem to be pretty forgiving when it comes to going wing-on-wing in anything above 5-8kts of wind. Do you think this would be a noticeable improvement in downwind performance from pretending my 135% genoa is an asym?

edit: changed close reach to beam reach

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...a noticeable improvement ...

It depends.

My algorithm is fairly simple

-- if it is under 5 knots of wind speed, and I want to deep-reach or run, I'm probably going to start the motor
-- if it is 5-15 knots of wind speed, and I want to deep-reach or run, I'll probably use the asym
-- if it is over 15 knots of windspeed, and I want to deep-reach or run, I'll probably jib-reach (and gibe on the angles)

I'm not the right one to ask about the crossover points where a poled-out jib works best. I haven't given it a lot of thought...but then I'm not sailing offshore with tradewinds at my back these days.

Here in the Sound, there aren't enough straight-line miles with breeze on the right bearing to make it worthwhile - when the breeze is on, it's easier (and, I'd argue faster) to jib-reach at about 140-degrees wind-angle, gibe, and hit the same angle on the other board. I can do all of that from the cockpit.

$.02
Bruce

Last edited:

oldfauser

Member III
29008773854_1ee073ac1d_o.jpg

Picture of the asymmetric that came with the boat (second from the left)! It's 35' on the hoist (including the snuffer); under sized by about 8'; we tried it a few times.. jib did better under all conditions.

if you looking for performance, look for one about 42' on the hoist. you will be much happier. We got a correct sized one; it's like hitting the "turbo" button when we put it up!