• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Difference between a mid-80's e32 MK II and MKIII

Tarrymore

Member I
Hello all, first post here and new to Ericson. So inspired by Christian Williams' YouTube videos I think I may have found my choice for my first 32. I also might just hold his channel record for most replays haha.

I searched the forum for a "Difference between the 32 MKII vs MKII" thread. Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed. I can't find it! One thing I noticed is a white mast on the III and a black mast on the II if I have that right. Visually, I prefer the black mast. Is there a thread on this already and if not would anyone be so kind as to explain the difference between the two models?

Or should I just go for the e38? There's a decent '84 out there. Not telling you where lol because I might buy it!

Thanks.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
difference between the two models?

The 32-2 was built from 1969 to 1978. Generally came with gas (Atomic-4) motor.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ericson-32-2

The 32-III was built from 1984 to 1990-ish, with a couple of re-names along the way (eg, 32-200, same hull, different interior layout.)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ericson-32-3

The 32-III is a little heavier, has a little more beam, a little more draft, but the main thing it is a 80's era "performance cruiser" shape. The rig is about 5 feet taller and it carries ~10% more sail-area than the 32-2.

$.02
Bruce

PS - I think most of the 80s-era Ericsons came from the factory with black anodized masts and booms.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
>>>Question - what sails were you using on Thelonious? Yes, I am somewhat green. I see a Viking helmet logo in your scandalous Umbrella on a boat episode.

The choice of sails depends on use, budget and aesthetics. For Thelonious II, the E38, I was going offshore and so chose a heavy main of 9.1 Dacron, with three reefs and four full-length battens. And a 120 percent overlap Dacron genoa with foam luff and a high clew for visibility and ease with a whisker pole. Dacron is by far the choice for longevity and budget. But the sails are heavier. Racing sails are lighter and stretch even less, but are less robust and lose their value faster.

For day sailing and club racing, I would have gone with some version of composite sails -- the ones with tapes on them, radial patterns, different fabrics and so on. The choices are endless, but a compromise between utility and performance would be my goal. I'd expect to pay at least 30 percent more. Unless of course I decided to pay 100 or 200 percent more. Sails are art objects. We stare at them constantly, and so does everybody else. They are the billboard of taste, experience and pride. Old ratty sails are an admission of personal failure to the extent of selling your Maserati to finance new ones. There is really no excuse to spend money on anything else, and a loyal spouse will tell you that.

I have only the genoa and mainsail. Yeah, a 150 percent light-air genoa came with the boat, perfect condition, which I'll never use. Changing roller-furling headsails is a racing thing (read: no fun unless you can tell the crew to do it). If the wind croaks out I turn on the engine. Guests cheer. An asymmetrical spinnaker could be added in case of need for more sail area. But as I say, my additional sail area is a diesel engine with a 500-mile range.

The Viking logo is traditional on our mainsails. A sailmaker puts it on without being asked.

Prices vary hugely, but the cheapest new sails are better than old crusty dropcloths up there. Always talk to a local sailmaker representative first, they will all give preliminary quotes by email with no obligation based on published measurements for our boats.

When time to buy, never measure your own boat. Arguments are hard to win if the delivered sail doesn't fit--and that is quite a common occurrence.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Tarrymore

Member I
Thanks Bruce! Really appreciate it. If I noticed correctly, the newer 38-200 design moved the mast in to the middle of the cabin. Or they just moved the boat forward, depending on how you look at it! ha, many thanks.

The 32-2 was built from 1969 to 1978. Generally came with gas (Atomic-4) motor.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ericson-32-2

The 32-III was built from 1984 to 1990-ish, with a couple of re-names along the way (eg, 32-200, same hull, different interior layout.)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ericson-32-3

The 32-III is a little heavier, has a little more beam, a little more draft, but the main thing it is a 80's era "performance cruiser" shape. The rig is about 5 feet taller and it carries ~10% more sail-area than the 32-2.

$.02
Bruce

PS - I think most of the 80s-era Ericsons came from the factory with black anodized masts and booms.

Tarrymore

Member I
Wow thanks so much for the info and advice Christian! Much to learn but this a great start. I'll just be day sailing close to the coast, probably tethered to shore with two instructors at my side to start haha.. just kidding. It will be three instructors. It's a long road ahead of me and yours is the best sail advice and details I've gotten, which feels amazing because I've watched your YouTube vids seven times. Each. Gotta work on my disappearing act from bow to helm though. That's a good one.

Saw some amazing sails on a pair of racers here in San Francisco bay a few weekends ago. We cheered from our humble Hunter 33, then realized what mattered most was being out on the water. Some big rock named Alcatraz or something got in our way though. They should move that!

Caught it all on video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WSz_ALDJWI

Many thanks!

Another 100 questions is okay, right? Slowly? lol

>>>Question - what sails were you using on Thelonious? Yes, I am somewhat green. I see a Viking helmet logo in your scandalous Umbrella on a boat episode.

The choice of sails depends on use, budget and aesthetics. For Thelonious II, the E38, I was going offshore and so chose a heavy main of 9.1 Dacron, with three reefs and four full-length battens. And a 120 percent overlap Dacron genoa with foam luff and a high clew for visibility and ease with a whisker pole. Dacron is by far the choice for longevity and budget. But the sails are heavier. Racing sails are lighter and stretch even less, but are less robust and lose their value faster.

For day sailing and club racing, I would have gone with some version of composite sails -- the ones with tapes on them, radial patterns, different fabrics and so on. The choices are endless, but a compromise between utility and performance would be my goal. I'd expect to pay at least 30 percent more. Unless of course I decided to pay 100 or 200 percent more. Sails are art objects. We stare at them constantly, and so does everybody else. They are the billboard of taste, experience and pride. Old ratty sails are an admission of personal failure to the extent of selling your Maserati to finance new ones. There is really no excuse to spend money on anything else, and a loyal spouse will tell you that.

I have only the genoa and mainsail. Yeah, a 150 percent light-air genoa came with the boat, perfect condition, which I'll never use. Changing roller-furling headsails is a racing thing (read: no fun unless you can tell the crew to do it). If the wind croaks out I turn on the engine. Guests cheer. An asymmetrical spinnaker could be added in case of need for more sail area. But as I say, my additional sail area is a diesel engine with a 500-mile range.

The Viking logo is traditional on our mainsails. A sailmaker puts it on without being asked.

Prices vary hugely, but the cheapest new sails are better than old crusty dropcloths up there. Always talk to a local sailmaker representative first, they will all give preliminary quotes by email with no obligation based on published measurements for our boats.

When time to buy, never measure your own boat. Arguments are hard to win if the delivered sail doesn't fit--and that is quite a common occurrence.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
If I noticed correctly, the newer 38-200 design moved the mast in to the middle of the cabin. Or they just moved the boat forward, depending on how you look at it!

Yes, the original 38 (and 32-III) had the "traditional" interior layout with the head forward, adjacent to the V-berth. The later 38s (381s) and 32s (38-200s) had a different interior layout, with the head aft adjacent to an "aft cabin" under the cockpit. This was done by, effectively, moving the main salon forward a couple of feet, which ended up making it so the mast is in the middle of the salon. It also affected the location of the companionway.

Bruce

Tarrymore

Member I
Oh wow you bought Thelonius! Thanks for the follow up. I rather prefer the mast forward against the head wall, at least for a more open interior. Performance might not be as good (?) but I think the hull is rated for 7 knots.

Thanks for sharing the updates to Makana! Wow. So great. I think I've found the right pub and crowd.. yet this is getting in the way of me reading Christians latest book though ha

Yes, the original 38 (and 32-III) had the "traditional" interior layout with the head forward, adjacent to the V-berth. The later 38s (381s) and 32s (38-200s) had a different interior layout, with the head aft adjacent to an "aft cabin" under the cockpit. This was done by, effectively, moving the main salon forward a couple of feet, which ended up making it so the mast is in the middle of the salon. It also affected the location of the companionway.

Bruce

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Oh wow you bought Thelonius!

I have that distinct honor. "Makana" is the Hawaiian word for "gift", reflecting how proud and happy I am to be her caretaker.

Performance might not be as good (?)

Yeah, to be clear... the rig is in the same place, relative to the hull, in both models, performance should be identical. It's just the interior layout that moved.

Welcome to the crowd!

Bruce

Last edited:

Tarrymore

Member I
Roger that! Thank you both for the welcome in.

Reading your Makana blog now, what an effort! I might ask to pick your brain (brains?) on the 32 as I get closer to making a decision. I'd guess Christian did a ton of updates for that crossing if not just because he wanted to dial in in his way. I can't even imagine owning a boat with that heritage! I just want one with that black mast! Heck I might even pull the thing off and paint it myself if I can't find one. Reading about your rehab intently. Well done.

I have that distinct honor.

Yeah, to be clear... the rig is in the same place, relative to the hull, in both models, performance should be identical. It's just the interior layout that moved.

Welcome to the crowd!

Bruce

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'd guess Christian did a ton of updates

More than you can imagine - I got the keys to a "brand new 30-year-old boat" on which all the hard stuff had been done, and done well.

If you haven't already read it, his blog for the 32-III starts here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...onious-quot-E32-3-Hull-604-Christian-Williams

This site is a phenomenal resource, and yes, you're welcome to pick my brains or any others you want. My goal - and I suspect that of others as well - is to give back as much as we've gotten. I'm a long way from achieving that.

Bruce

Last edited:

Tarrymore

Member I
Oh very good.

What are the odds there's an audio book of this from Christian so I can listen when I drive from here, where the deer and the antelope play, to the bay, just four hours away? (rhymes unintended)

Thank you

Dale

nquigley

Sustaining Member
E32-III mast color

I searched the forum for a "Difference between the 32 MKII vs MKIII" thread. ...[]... One thing I noticed is a white mast on the III and a black mast on the II if I have that right. Visually, I prefer the black mast. Is there a thread on this already and if not would anyone be so kind as to explain the difference between the two models?
My 1984 32-3 has a blue mast, and my dock neighbor with a 1985 E32-3 has a black mast. I suspect the initial owners had some choice of mast color (?), and that it's not diagnostic of model year, or 32-2 vs 32-3.

David Grimm

E38-200
My 86 38-200 has a white painted mast. I didn't know what I had until my neighbor on the dry here in NY commented on how he wished he had a painted mast as opposed to plain aluminum! Thank you Ericson!:egrin:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
My 32-3 had (has) a black anodized mast. I have been told that other colors are paint, but can't confirm it.

Yup - my dark blue color is paint - I don't know what's under the paint (black anodizing?), and I can't tell how long it's been on there - original? or one of the two POs?

Tarrymore

Member I
@nquigley Nice! Haven't seen the blue.

@Christian looking forward to listening to your audiobooks. Quite!

My 1984 32-3 has a blue mast, and my dock neighbor with a 1985 E32-3 has a black mast. I suspect the initial owners had some choice of mast color (?), and that it's not diagnostic of model year, or 32-2 vs 32-3.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
My mast and boom appear to have been powder coated white (from the factory). The mast still has that shiny smooth white powder coated finish below decks.

markvone

Sustaining Member
The original mast color was a buyer option and is not a way to determine between models. You also don't know if a PO changed the color because they wanted the "other" color.

I've had two white and one (current) black mast, all painted.

The white color has several functional advantages over black: it's a lot cooler to touch and climb in hot, sunny climates. When faded, oxidized and no longer shiny, the dull white paint is much less noticeable than the oxidized black. The white paint is much more forgiving to buffing and polishing. If the polished, glossy black finish is the look you desire, it's going to take more work.. See posts #34 - 36 in the thread below:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-for-Cosmetic-Improvement-of-Black-Mast/page3

Steve,

I'll bet your mast is painted with linear polyurethane paint like mine. It should buff out to look great. I used the same technique and materials described by MaineSail for hull buffing. The LP paint is a lot harder than gelcoat so it takes longer to get the same results but it works.

Mark

Last edited:

Tarrymore

Member I
The original mast color was a buyer option and is not a way to determine between models. You also don't know if a PO changed the color because they wanted the "other" color.

I've had two white and one (current) black mast, all painted.

The white color has several functional advantages over black: it's a lot cooler to touch and climb in hot, sunny climates. When faded, oxidized and no longer shiny, the dull white paint is much less noticeable than the oxidized black. The white paint is much more forgiving to buffing and polishing. If the polished, glossy black finish is the look you desire, it's going to take more work.. See posts #34 - 36 in the thread below:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-for-Cosmetic-Improvement-of-Black-Mast/page3

Steve,

I'll bet your mast is painted with linear polyurethane paint like mine. It should buff out to look great. I used the same technique and materials described by MaineSail for hull buffing. The LP paint is a lot harder than gelcoat so it takes longer to get the same results but it works.

Mark

Great info Mark. Thanks for that, and everyone else.