• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Interior LED Bulbs

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Anyone find a source for interior cabin LED light bulbs? The original dome lights are 15W festoon bulbs and the chart lights are 10W #5008 bulbs.

I bought some cheap LEDs from Amazon but none of them worked.

20181106_213208.jpg 20181106_213122.jpg 20181106_213112.2.jpg 20181106_204514.jpg

Thanks.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I use MarineBeam LED bulbs for... pretty much everything. More expensive than Amazon (although not as expensive as "Dr. LED"), and I have been very happy with them.

For the cabin-lights I use either FS-42-06 or FS-42-09 (6-LED or 9-LED 42mm festoons), depending on how much light you want. I chose the "warm white" color.

https://store.marinebeam.com/42mm-festoon-led-9-led-smd-cluster-panoramic/

For the chart light, can't provide personal experience (mine is different) but the MarineBeam site says this is a replacement for the Hella 5008 bulb

https://store.marinebeam.com/compact-ge89-and-ge90-replacement-for-attwood-perko-tw-ge-15/

Bruce

mordust

Member II
I have also replaced nearly all lights on our old boat, an E27,
and have recently done the same on our 32-3.
I have been very pleased with the results
They are very helpful with any questions when I have called.

Bob

HerbertFriedman

Member III
attached is a white paper written by the head of Marinebeam, an electrical engineer, who explains why more complex circuitry is needed for our marine applications. They are more expensive but well worth the difference.

Attachments

• white paper.pdf
    174 KB · Views: 30

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
attached is a white paper written by the head of Marinebeam, an electrical engineer, who explains why more complex circuitry is needed for our marine applications. They are more expensive but well worth the difference.
Thanks, that seems rather enlightening. But I still don't know how to tell the difference between these types by looking at them.
Since I had no usable existing fixtures, I went with LED strips, which were rather expensive, and fairly expensive dimmer switches recommended at a chandlery. Of course that was a few years ago now, so things have gotten cheaper. They don't appear to cause noticeable RF interference. Maybe a tiny tick of static at HF when they are first turned on. I hope they're the good ones. :rolleyes: When the whole boat is lit up to full brightness, they draw about 3 amps, which is more than I expected.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's the part about "how to tell the difference" on the packaging:

(unless of course, like me, you have various LEDs in drawers on the boat, most from the previous owners, some of which work and some of which don't)

It looks like the key description is what Perko lights have:

Input Voltage:10VDC - 30VDC Constant Current

LED prices are lower today, since the article was written in 2008.

led.jpg

Last edited:

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
I like these red and white switchable inserts that can be ordered with festoon ends. They snap right in and provide interior red or white lighting without changing the original Ericson dome fixture or switch. I have used highly adhesive 3M VHB tape to keep mine from falling onto the plastic lens. I really like the way this Marinebeam product works. They function as advertised.
Mike Jacker

https://store.marinebeam.com/red-white-switchable-led-for-dome-lights-un-dome-15-rww/

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
Anyone find a source for interior cabin LED light bulbs? The original dome lights are 15W festoon bulbs and the chart lights are 10W #5008 bulbs.

I bought some cheap LEDs from Amazon but none of them worked.

View attachment 25536 View attachment 25537 View attachment 25538 View attachment 25539

Thanks.

Remember most cheep led’s are direction sensitive because they don’t have reverse polarity circuitry. Try turning the festoons around and for the map lights try turning them 180 and put them back in. I can’t remebwr if the map light ones can be installed 2 ways or not.

sharonov

Member II
I use marinebeam for all lights, both navigation and interior. Good quality and specs and not as expensive as some other marine brands. Note that all bayonet bulb receptacles on my boat were miswired, wrong polarity and had to be fixed.