• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Advice on Lonseal Marine Vinyl

hmdjamesh

Member I
I'm looking to replace the flooring (sole) on my Ericson 26.
Does anyone have any recommendations on the Lonseal vinyl?
Ease of installation?
Thanks!

CSMcKillip

Ease of installation?
Thanks!

i have used it on a Capri 25. Very easy to install, cuts really easy with a box blade. It layed flat very well even at the edges due to the weight of the material so I didn’t even need to glue it down. I ended up replacing our teak and holly flooring in the 33 with marine grade plywood with veneer as we wanted that natural look. I will say that you have to watch your shoes as the LS product picked up everything.

I would us is it again and still have some left over in our garage.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Ease of installation?
Thanks!

Sure looks a LOT like a the product offered from a company in Ohio called "Plasteak". It too is a vinyl flooring with a teak and holly look and very durable - more so than the real wood product - and is much more easy to work with, lasts longer and is easier to keep clean. Not sure how prices compare, but I bought Plasteak several years ago and it's holding up great. Best part, it took easily to the curves on the cabin sole - something the regular wood teak and holly didn't want to do. If you want to check them out, their website is: https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-recycled-plastic-products/marine-grade-flooring

Here's how our E32 turned out with their product. Because of the long bilge access in the main salon, we stuck with carpeting in that area plus I wanted to keep some sense of soft warmth in the boat. (In '73 our boat came with - of all things - SHAG CARPETING throughout the boat!! - that lasted about 3 sailing trips of getting wet after swimming! :egrin:) I then installed the traditional Teak & Holly veneered ply in the galley area - but it was difficult to keep clean and seemed to suck up dirt like a sponge off of our shoes that refused to come out of the Holly.

Notice also that I put in a pattern of East/West pieces to the traditional North/South direction to separate the head and V-berth areas. It was easy to cut and fit but did take a little patience and extra time (measuring) to get it just right.

PlasTEAK Head Area Sole Detail.jpgPlasTEAK Fwd Berth & Head-Locker Area2.jpgPlasTEAK Galley Area.jpgPlasTeak Galley Area 3.jpgPlasTEAK Fwd Berth & Head-Locker Area.jpg

Last edited:

hmdjamesh

Member I
Looks great. Hope I can do as good an install as you
Did you glue it down? I see on their installation guide that it can be free floated

kapnkd

kapnkd
Looks great. Hope I can do as good an install as you
Did you glue it down? I see on their installation guide that it can be free floated

We glued it down with the one part adhesive they sell and it worked great. It spread on like regular floor adhesive using a serated trowel. If your cabin soul has a smooth surface, they recommend the two part adhesive - but check with them on what’s best for you.

If I can do it, anyone can do it - just take your time and measure carefully. Paper patterns were a big help too in insuring proper size and fit.

Good luck and please post some photos for us all.

regards,
- kerry

kapnkd

kapnkd
Great Job on the flooring. Look wonderful
Rick+

Thanks Rick!

I’ll be posting some new photos in the near future (hopefully) of my LED variable color floor strip lighting I’m working on. It’s primarily going to be red lighting for night sailing but can do a full spectrum should we wish to.