• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast boot tape

c.gustafson

Member II
Hello Mates,

I have a keel stepped mast. I'd very much appreciate recommendations re mast boot tape. I've tried a "self-amalgamating" boot tape, but I had difficulties with the application. What are the best options for mast boot tape? Many thanks, in advance, for your recommendations.

Craig

frick

Member III
Old School Fix

In the old days we used a rubber inter-tube and a large stainless steel strap... To dress it up we used a sunbrella vercro tube to keep the sun off.

Rick+

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Two datapoints.

My first year in the Pacific North Wet, I re-used the PVC boot and wrapped it with a bunch of self-amalgamating tape (then covered with the Sunbrella cover). It leaked like a sieve. the issues were the gap at the rear of the PVC boot, never seemed to seal adequately, and the way I wrapped it (with bits of 1" tape, instead of a continuous run) allowed gaps to open up over time.

The second year, I re-did it. I used the "universal mast boot" kit from West Marine, following the instructions for fitting it and gluing the seam. I then put the long hose-clamps top and bottom, and then wrapped the whole thing (covering both hose clamps and top/bottom edges of the rubber boot) with one loooong strip of 2" self-amalgamating tape, stretched so that it would "bond" well. More effort involved in wrapping it that way, but ... it's been dry as a bone since then.

$.02
Bruce