• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34-2 Fuel Tank Removal and Replacement

Brookelise

Member II
I recall reading here that E34-2 owners replacing the fuel tank have had to saw off the corner of the tank to get it up through the companionway. Is this true? Has anyone here been through this enjoyable and educational episode in Ericson ownership?

I suppose we'll soon find out whether the tank will fit through the companionway. :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dunno (On the E38, no way the 55-gallon tank would fit through the companionway).

In any case, when making holes for inspection ports in my 1/8th aluminum tank I found cutting the metal quite easy--even with a jig saw.

Getting 20 gallons of fuel out was harder, since I couldn't make a siphon work. I should've bought or rigged a fuel pump for that.

JSM

Member III
Comes out no problem.

Took the fuel tank out of our 34-2 two years ago to have the tank cleaned and some broken mounting tabs welded. Tank came out and went thru the companion way no problem.
To make the job easier I went to Harbor Freight and bought a cheap 12V diesel transfer pump. Very easy to remove the fuel gauge / sender unit from the top of tank, hook the pump to your battery and de-fuel into 5 gallon cans.
Found a shop that specialized in repairing semi truck fuel tanks. They repaired the tabs and cleaned the interior of the tank for $100.00.

andy beach

Member I
E-34 fuel tank

Yep....it's tight but ours fit through the companionway. We took the old tank to a company nearby and they made a replica that fit perfect.

Brookelise

Member II
Fuel Tank Replacement

Many thanks for the replies on this thread. I'll let you know how it turns out. The electric fuel pump is a good idea, too. :)

Yep....it's tight but ours fit through the companionway. We took the old tank to a company nearby and they made a replica that fit perfect.

LeifThor

Member III
How to remove a fuel tank in an E35 with a screwdriver

One wall of the starboard cockpit storage locker is only screwed in, so unscrew the screws, and remove the wall. You should be able to remove the tank then. It took me a couple hours.