• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Jaws up or jaws down

HerbertFriedman

Member III
The PO on my E34 rigged the whisker pole with a ring fixture for the topping lift clamped to the outboard end so that the jaws face down. The outboard jaw has a "trigger" mechanism so that when you pull the plunger, it stays open and then slams shut then the jib sheet is engaged. Works OK but a little difficult to disengage the pole from the sheet which is flogging around.

Others have said that the pole should be rigged with ring in the middle of the pole (using a bridle like a spinnaker pole) and the jaws facing upward. Seems to me that that arrangement is more difficult to engage the jib sheet but easier to disengage since the pole would just fall away.

Which is best?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Jaws-down is the tradition for the outboard end of a whisker pole. Theoretically the sheet "drops" out when slacked. Whereas a spinnaker sheet "rises" out.

Since whisker poles are extendable, a topping lift usually goes direct to the outboard end, because different pole lengths change the geometry of a bridle.

However, I use a bridle anyhow. With a pole carried on deck, or the stanchions, a bridle allows better control when manipulating the pole shorthanded on the foredeck.

Pole stored vertical on the mast? Bridle not needed.

I use a pole downhaul usually, or sometimes. But in fact, the downward force of the genoa sheet is often sufficient to prevent the pole skying. Anyhow, jibs are much better behaved than spinnakers, and shortcuts can be taken.

In the same vein, I never use an afterguy with the whisker pole, despite some recommendations.

There is relatively little to go wrong with a poled-out jib, even in heavy air, and reefing is simple.

One caveat: a big genoa and a long pole may require longer sheets than currently rigged. Test before ordering new sheets if a lot of whisker-pole sailing looms.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Ahh, I see from Christian and Bob's replies that even among the mavens, there is a difference of opinion regarding the orientation of the jaws for the output end of the whisker pole. I guess I should not be surprised and will have to try it both ways and see which works better for me.

I only use a 110 jib and for that sail, the pole length with no extension works ok so maybe I will remove the outboard topping lift ring and rig a bridle in the middle, and see if that arrangement is easier to handle. The 12 foot aluminum pole is pretty heavy and I wonder if I could remove the inner extension and move the output jaw to the fixed pole, that would cut the weight almost in half. But I may need to purchase another end jaw since the diameters are different.

One rig I do plan to implement is to string a thin cable from the outboard jaw to a ring located roughly in the middle of the pole so I can disengage the outboard jaw without having to lean out over the edge. If I tie that ring to a cable going to the inboard jaw, then I can disengage both jaws from the same point by just pulling in opposite directions. So I would essentially have two bridles, one for the topping lift and the other for the jaws. If I go with the jaws down arrangement, the jaw bridle is on the bottom and the topping lift bridle is on the top, but either way two bridles seems like a good arrangement.

Again, thanks all for advice.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, the extending aluminum poles are heavy. But it seems a shame to modify it--they're expensive. Lots of used or fixed poles available at nautical junk shops.

A permanent release cable on a whisker pole needs to be long enough for full extension, which makes it hang down at other times. I just rig one when necessary.

All this stuff, it seems to me, is sort of a shrug, meaning various techniques work and we are free to experiment.

One guarantee: pole fittings, esp. the traditional pin-release design, seize up from salt water. Anticipatory cleaning and lube avoids a struggle on the bow.