• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Paper gasket, or not? What to do...

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
The fresh water pump on my universal diesel engine has started to leak ever so slightly through the weep hole, indicating that the seals are failing. I spoke with a good local mechanic who said its more expensive to rebuild than to replace, so I've ordered a new pump. It comes with a paper gasket, but I'm thinking that paper gaskets may not last the life of the pump, so I'm thinking to use a Permatex gasket maker/sealant. I found one that is suggested for everything including water pumps, can tolerate high heat and is ok to use with auto fluids.
I have had conflicting advice with some saying to still use the paper gasket plus the sealant, others advising to do one or the other but not both together. An additional factor is that when the current pump was installed eight years ago, the mechanic broke two of the ten studs that hold it onto the engine block. He advised against trying to drill them out of the aluminum block, and simply left them out, using only eight. The pump has not leaked, so that worked. I don't know if that should affect my decision to use the paper gasket, the sealant, or both together.
Any thoughts or advice on getting a good seal for my waterpump?
Frank

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I replaced my fresh water pump last year using parts from a Kubota tractor dealer. I asked them what they recommended, which was a thin coat of permatex on either side of the gasket. No leaks.....

Baslin

Member III
Yes use the paper gasket, and like mentioned, use a SMALL amount of Ultra Blue gasket maker on both sides of the paper gasket. Evenly spread with your finger over the paper gasket.

I like to let the gasket maker set up for 24 hours before adding coolant or starting the engine.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Paper?

For many years I would use a little grease on the old paper gasket when putting the cover back on the Oberdorfer pump. I was often able to reuse the gasket. Then I replaced the whole pump, and the new version used an O-ring. No more paper gasket.

L

Leslie Newman

For this type of application I use Permatex form a gasket #2. Non-hardening type. As stated, small amount on both sides of the gasket material.
Also, keep some gasket material on board in case you ever need to make your own. Round side of a small ball peen hammer is great for tapping out gaskets. Lay material over the part and lightly tap around the inside and outside of the gasket surface on the part.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-form-a-gasket-no-2-sealant/

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I’m not specifically recommending this, but a grizzled old mechanic I used to drink beers with used to use a lottery ticket for a gasket in an “emergency.”

He stuck the ticket over the pump, used a small screwdriver to poke holes where the mounting bolts would go, and snugged up the bolts and the cover plate tight against the ticket. No shaping of the gasket within the pump was done at all: the impeller scrapes it away as wet pulp, and it passes harmlessly (?, but probably) through the engine. (Note: a raw-water-cooled engine, come to think of it.) Trim the ticket from outside the pump with a knife or razor blade if you feel like it. Or, not; it’s a look.