• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Nautical Terms in Action"--12-minute Video

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyDF2aUhuD0

This video might be a bit elementary for Ericson owners, but it does show an E381 off Los Angeles.

It is remarkable to me that nearly half the viewers of my videos on YouTube do not own sailboats, and many have never been on one. They find basic sailing vocabulary a barrier.

I know what they mean. I bought a companion volume to the Patrick O'Brian novels just to be able to follow the jargon of ships in the Napoleanic wars. It's called "A sea of Words." And in many respects, we still sail that sea.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Love your videos. I often joke with newbies on board that part of the disembarking procedure after a trip is passing the vocabulary test. Some folks love the terminology, some just want to have a cocktail on the water. The former gets to pull a line or two - the latter mostly just ducks.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Christian,

Great video, as usual. It was helpful to see how you ran your lines aft to your clutches and organizers. To starboard, it looks like you have a clutch spot for your mainsheet that was unused. Are you using the more-forward clam cleat for your mainsheet instead? What are your thought on clutch vs clam cleat? Can you still push the sheet down into the clamcleat when it's fully tensioned?

Also, I have to reinstall my 17ST winch on the starboard deck. I noticed your port STwinch had the line stripper facing aft (6 o'clock) but the starboard ST winches had the strippers more like the 8-9 o'clock position. Is there a recommended reason for the varied positions?

Thanks.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't see many main sheets in line clutches--too much in and out, I guess.

That clam cleat was the previous owner's idea, and I doubt he meant it for the main sheet because it's in the wrong place and far too small a size. I think he had pull-down lines rigged on the mainsail luff, because the mast track was buggered up, and the clam was probably for one of them. (Luff downhauls are a terrible solution to a sticky mast track. My solution was a Tides sail track).

However, the correct-sized plastic clam cleat, placed handy, would be perfect for the main sheet during those moments it is off the winch so the reef line can go on. Actually, since the main is usually luffing while reefing, I don't even use the clam cleat.

Clams are small-boat stuff, but they're great for temporary, non-critical use. Which leaves out halyards or reefing gear. But I used them on the self-steering lines for the first Thelonious, where they got adjusted frequently, and they were great.

The winch line-lifter position is meant to be adjustable, and set for convenience according to where the winch operator stands.

Last edited: