• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Genoa -- 155 vs. 135 on a 38-200

c.gustafson

Member II
Hello Mates. I need to purchase a new genoa for my '87 38-200. I have a 155 now and I'm inclined to get another one. I live in Kansas City and sail on a nearby lake --- quite a bit of tacking. Are there any compelling reasons to go with a 135 vs. the 155? I like how my boat sails with the 155 -- and I figure that, if I want less head sail, i just roll it up a bit. Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts and recommendations.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are several good threads discussing this question and here is just one:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...12720-Genoa-155-vs-140-for-35-3&referrerid=28

Local conditions will have a great deal to do with the optimum sail shape and overlap. Also track and car placement. Like many other things there are several "right" answers.
Keep up the dialog.

Fair winds,
Loren

ps: comments from owners of the Ericson 34 (2) and 35-3 will be germane. Those boats are very similar to your hull and rig and only about a couple of feet shorter.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sure, just get a good quality 155 with a foam luff. Modern headsails keep their shape quite well when furled.

Such a large genoa means light cloth, of course, and won't be suitable for heavy-air conditions.

I have a 120 percent overlap (420 square feet, still larger than the mainsail) , simply because very light air in ocean conditions often means banging around in slop, and in those conditions I just turn on the engine.

The gain from large headsails depends on how you use the boat. For some, the gain seems small.

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
I sail on a mountain lake Winds from 0-30 I have a racing 155 for racing but at all other times I sail with a 135. I find the performance difference not that significant on cruise days. Theory being if there is not enough wind to get the boat going with the 135 who wants to sail anyway (Bob it de Bob) I friend of mine bought a nice 140 from Sobstad in hi tech cloth. Strong enough for when it blows and light enough for when it does does not. Instead of a roller furling cover he bought a sleave. Thus performs well enough in the light stuff and in the bigger stuff. Seems like the answer to me. Although the boat is at 5000 feet of elevation I can sail in up to about 28 know of wind with a headsail only. Thus I do not have a foam luff. The 38 has usch a huge J the 135 makes taking a lot easier. The 38 is also a bit tender. I don't have to worry about running down the lake unable to furl the headsail with the 135

Last edited: