• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1987/88 E 32-300 Where is the battery charger?

fordsimm

Still have old lead acid float charge batteries and switching to AGM so need to switch charger settings.
Can't find the charger and know there is one on board since a "Statpower 20+" manual came with the boat suggesting a replacement by the previous owner(s).
On the assumption the Statpower was put in the same location as the old charger- where the heck would that be? I have traced wires back from the batteries and crawled everywhere with no luck- help!

JSM

Member III
But the light comes on!

When we bought our 1987 34-2 two years ago a battery charger was shown on the listing. During the inspection and survey process no battery charger could be found. The owner (who bought the boat new) claimed that the boat came from the factory with one and that the yard used it every spring to charge his batteries. "There has to be one, why else does the battery charger light on the panel come on when you flip the switch?" He then claimed that someone in the yard must have stolen it.
The broker we were working with had sold him the boat new in 87 and was able to pull the record and show him that the boat came from Ericson without one as battery chargers were dealer installed options at that time and there was nothing in the record showing that the yard/dealer had ever installed one.
A new one was installed prior to closing.

fordsimm

Thanks to all responses

Still have old lead acid float charge batteries and switching to AGM so need to switch charger settings.
Can't find the charger and know there is one on board since a "Statpower 20+" manual came with the boat suggesting a replacement by the previous owner(s).
On the assumption the Statpower was put in the same location as the old charger- where the heck would that be? I have traced wires back from the batteries and crawled everywhere with no luck- help!

Got some good leads.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
>>>"There has to be one, why else does the battery charger light on the panel come on when you flip the switch?" He then claimed that someone in the yard must have stolen it.

I had a mysterious toggle switch on the cockpit panel that did so many things I couldn't figure out what they were. Analyzed it for weeks. Sometimes it turned on the oil pressure indicator lamp, sometimes if it was in the off position the engine wouldn't start, and sometimes when the baulky stereo wouldn't work, if I flipped on the cockpit toggle, the stereo worked again.

I asked Metzger about this, citing all my logical tests and hypotheses.

He had no idea what I was talking about, except to say that there is no "oil pressure indicator lamp test switch."

So I took the toggle switch out and discovered it wasn't connected to anything at all.*

Hmmm.

Reminded me of the Steven Reich joke about a switch in his house that didn't do anything. He kept turning it off and on but nothing happened. After a few weeks, a woman in Germany telephoned him and said, stop it!

*In fact it was an engine compartment blower switch installed by the factory. But the boat had no blower installed.

Last edited: