• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New to me E38-200

pclements

Raconteur
u3n6il1scweujirikf960.jpg
Hi To All

Not sure if I am posting in the correct forum, this is my very first. Please feel free to re-direct me if not. I am the new owner of an 1988 Ericson E38-200, after many years of searching. I do not yet have the boat at my home town, the boat is still moored at Tuncurry in New South Wales in Australia. I am looking forward to bringing it home during the December holidays. The boat may be familiar to you - ex "Southern Cross". The name has not yet been changed (if at all). Her initial home port will be Redcliffe in Queensland. I am looking forward to getting my head down down into her inner workings (and yes - the head is first with a [suspected] blocked joker valve) :0. Best Regards - Philip

Last edited:

pclements

Raconteur
Thank you - I have a feeling I am going to need all the help and advice I can get. Not sure yet where the joker valve is, I'm guessing at the top of the discharge loop? I did not want to dig too deep before I had the boat at her home port. Cheers

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you can figure out the manufacturer of your toilet, there should be an exploded view on line showing the joker valve and how to access it.

pclements

Raconteur
Hi Christian

It is a Raritan PHII manual version. I have down-loaded the installation manual but it does not mention 'joker valve'.

Cheers

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
It is a Raritan PHII manual version. I have down-loaded the installation manual but it does not mention 'joker valve'.

It is in the elbow that comes off of the back of the pump. Take off the 2 bolts that hold elbow to the pump and there it is. part C253 on the diagram and parts list.

Certainly, now it's cocktail time. Saturday night 7:pm on the us east coast.

pclements

Raconteur
Thanks Tom - Down-loaded a new manual and there it was. Looking much more forward to sailing back to Brisbane than I am mucking about with joker valves!! Appear the seals on the holding tank selector valve leaks when pumping, as well as the discharge hose at the clamp. This boat has the optional manual holding tank pump-out set-up. Could this happen from trying to pump out with a blocked joker valve?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Appear the seals on the holding tank selector valve leaks when pumping, as well as the discharge hose at the clamp. This boat has the optional manual holding tank pump-out set-up. Could this happen from trying to pump out with a blocked joker valve?

No. If the joker valve is plugged the pump handle won't pump as there is no place for the sh*t to go. Of course, the seacock is open if you are trying to pump overboard and the wye valve is in the correct position for what you want to do. I've seen the valves incorrectly installed. Turn the valve to the other position and see what happens. Make sure both seacocks are open when you try this. Assuming it's illegal to pump overboard at the dock make sure the cops aren't watching.

I encountered a Catalina a few weeks ago that had a 90* elbow connecting the hose to the holding tank. A guest had put a tampax in the head and it couldn't make the turn. The head pump would work for a while while the hose filled and expanded with the pressure and then would slowly stop working. The guest had left before the problem was discovered, but I was on the dock and always willing to help a damsel in distress.

pclements

Raconteur
Hi Tom
The head did work in the overboard position when I first inspected the boat. On subsequent visits before and until I took possession, the smell in the head got worse and worse until eventually the hose and selector valve leaked the contents into the cabinet below the basin and over-flowed onto the floor. I dived on the thru' hull to inspect for blockage (the hull is pretty foul) and, apart from a small fish, appeared free of barnacles and growth. I shut all head and basin seacocks and bought a Porta Potty to use until I can sail the boat to her home port. The holding tank is completely empty (determined by sounding the tank as the deck fitting is seized and the manual pump only pumps air). Hope the image of this does not affect your sun-downer!!:0

Cheers

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
View attachment 25368
Hi To All

Not sure if I am posting in the correct forum, this is my very first. Please feel free to re-direct me if not. I am the new owner of an 1988 Ericson E38-200, after many years of searching. I do not yet have the boat at my home town, the boat is still moored at Tuncurry in New South Wales in Australia. I am looking forward to bringing it home during the December holidays. The boat may be familiar to you - ex "Southern Cross". The name has not yet been changed (if at all). Her initial home port will be Redcliffe in Queensland. I am looking forward to getting my head down down into her inner workings (and yes - the head is first with a [suspected] blocked joker valve) :0. Best Regards - Philip

Nice! That name was on my renaming short list as well...it's a keeper.

ddoles

Member III
I just saw your post and first want to wish you the best luck with the E38-200. I'm a fellow owner for about 5 years and love the boat. I am planning an upgrade this year to add radar and your backstay mount in the photo caught my eye. This is the set up I am contemplating, but am not exactly sure how to mount the pole base. Would you be able to share a couple photos showing how the base of the pole is mounted?
Thanks
Dave

pclements

Raconteur
I just saw your post and first want to wish you the best luck with the E38-200. I'm a fellow owner for about 5 years and love the boat. I am planning an upgrade this year to add radar and your backstay mount in the photo caught my eye. This is the set up I am contemplating, but am not exactly sure how to mount the pole base. Would you be able to share a couple photos showing how the base of the pole is mounted?
Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you to all for your good wishes and friendship to a total stranger, you guys are awesome! Finally got the boat home after much angst. Contrary weather, short time frame (always a bad combo) and multiple failures due to boat not having sailed for a few (4) years. Most everything worked when tied up, 20-30 knot winds and cross-seas quickly dispelled that notion. Had to single hand with failed auto-pilot (lunched the belt), Hydrovane would not steer with totally confused seas due to constantly changing winds, motor died before leaking ant-freeze everywhere, mainsheet traveller let go (hidden corrosion), no speed, wind or depth (removed by PO), both bilge pumps blocked from 20 yr old crud loosened up once we started bouncing around, and on and on. Had to turn and run back 80 miles from Nambucca Heads to find a river mouth I could sail into with no motor (Port Macquarie). Anyhow, did two legs after begging for more time off in Jan (my boss was great). I always knew there would be issues, but figured bar-hopping up the coast would limit exposure, did not work that way. Boat was moored in a tiny town with very limited facilities, 750 kms away from home, it was always going to be a bit risky but manageable. Boat is now in Newport Harbour in Redcliffe and the work begins, time and budget allowing. Still have a nine-to-five job and family commitments, so am anticipating a drawn-out process with only the odd Sat/Sun available.

Dave, I will be happy to post pictures for you of the radar install as soon as I get down to the boat. I will be selling some gear, one of which will be the radar and mount, radar/plotter with swivel mount, up-dated chart-card and all associated bits, Freedom 10 inverter, original sailing instrument displays x 2 and Datamarine 5000, new parachute anchor etc, etc. I will make up a list as I start stripping the boat. Still have a nine-to-five job and family commitments, so am anticipating a drawn-out process with only the odd Sat or Sun to work on the boat. First will be a haul-out over Easter to address thru' hulls and sea-cocks, (I want to remove as many as possible), rudder which started banging away underfoot when pounding upwind (seas were short and steep with 3-4 knot adverse current and 20 knot headwind), leaking stern-gland (has a mechanical seal but not PSS), and normal haul out items. Anyhow, sorry for the verbal diarrhoea, this is my 'get it off my chest' stress reliever and sanity check after a tough delivery trip, I know you guys will understand!!

Best Regards to Everybody

Philip

pclements

Raconteur
Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave

Pictures of radar mount as requested - hope they are clear enough. The radar reflector does not belong there, it slid down the back-stay during the delivery trip. First time posting pictures, hope this works! Don't know why they rotated, I was the right way up when I took them!

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

ddoles

Member III
Thanks, that's helpful. I'm thinking to mount the pole from the stern rail, but this is another option.
Cheers,
Dave

frick

Member III
welcome to the site

The motion of the ocean has a way of stirring up gunk in the tanks, the fuels, the bilge.
So glad that you are here and had a great sail home.
Rick

pclements

Raconteur
Thanks Rick - it sure does, stirred me up too! I got a fairly good deal on the boat, but she is going to need a lot of upgrading and elbow grease. Boat came with a lot of spares but also lot of original gear. Am hoping to haul out over Easter.

Cheers