• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lots of bilge water...float?

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
This last week with over 22 inches of wind (35+) driven rain & swells (breaking) 12-14 ' in harbor for 4 days... water came in. Got over floor boards.
Seems the float switch was somehow bent and could not float, so no pumping.
On an Ericson 38 what is the best to use in fixing This? What float pump or new pump in bilge?

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Hi Ralph,

The wiring went on mine this year and I just replaced it with the same pump and switch, a Rule 800 with separate float switch. This is on an E35. Makes it real simple if the wiring and screw holes all line up with the old one you take out. The old one had been in there a good long time so I figure the quality is OK.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

L

Leslie Newman

My boat came with a Jabsco self priming diaphragm pump mounted inside the sink cabinet. The inlet is piped with a flexible hose to a screened inlet in the bilge and the outlet goes to the stern via flexible hose. There is a float switch (which I replaced this year) mounted in the bilge located in the cavity next to where the water tank is located under the settee. I like this bilge pump arrangement as the only thing in the water is the float switch. But my bilge stays bone dry, so the float switch isn't in any water either.
I can post some pics of the arrangement if you like.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Pics would be great...

My boat came with a Jabsco self priming diaphragm pump mounted inside the sink cabinet. The inlet is piped with a flexible hose to a screened inlet in the bilge and the outlet goes to the stern via flexible hose. There is a float switch (which I replaced this year) mounted in the bilge located in the cavity next to where the water tank is located under the settee. I like this bilge pump arrangement as the only thing in the water is the float switch. But my bilge stays bone dry, so the float switch isn't in any water either.
I can post some pics of the arrangement if you like.

With our tropic rain & winds we get a Lot of water down the mast... the float seems to be the problem.
Not much room to float.

L

Leslie Newman

With our tropic rain & winds we get a Lot of water down the mast... the float seems to be the problem.
Not much room to float.

Gotcha. I installed the Rule super switch, as I think my pump draws some juice. It fits nicely down in the bilge between keel bolts, though I am finding with the Ercison E380 bilge you need to be a little bit of a contortionist reaching down in there.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/rul...MIrubX6OKB3gIVkspkCh0XuAJ1EAQYBSABEgJR1PD_BwE

I felt like I was in the tropics last night as Michael rolled through Virginia. At midnight last night (this morning?) I was at the bow adding another line trying to keep Osprey off the finger pier and main dock. It was really insane. A live aboard in our marina said he clocked a gust at 103 knots, many at 60 - 70 and sustained for about an hour was 30 - 50. Osprey didn't sustain any damage, but it was touch and go for a bit. The slip next to me was vacant and I ran a line from my port winch over to the finger pier of the adjoining slip to help hold her off the dock (which was under water at the time). Finally around 1:30am the wind seemed to settle a bit. I had done all I could do, so crawled into the V berth and fell asleep. Awoke at 4am to a bright clear star filled sky and maybe 20 knot winds. We made it.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Glad to hear you & boat are OK!

Gotcha. I installed the Rule super switch, as I think my pump draws some juice. It fits nicely down in the bilge between keel bolts, though I am finding with the Ercison E380 bilge you need to be a little bit of a contortionist reaching down in there.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/rul...MIrubX6OKB3gIVkspkCh0XuAJ1EAQYBSABEgJR1PD_BwE

I felt like I was in the tropics last night as Michael rolled through Virginia. At midnight last night (this morning?) I was at the bow adding another line trying to keep Osprey off the finger pier and main dock. It was really insane. A live aboard in our marina said he clocked a gust at 103 knots, many at 60 - 70 and sustained for about an hour was 30 - 50. Osprey didn't sustain any damage, but it was touch and go for a bit. The slip next to me was vacant and I ran a line from my port winch over to the finger pier of the adjoining slip to help hold her off the dock (which was under water at the time). Finally around 1:30am the wind seemed to settle a bit. I had done all I could do, so crawled into the V berth and fell asleep. Awoke at 4am to a bright clear star filled sky and maybe 20 knot winds. We made it.

Last year on October 6 is when we lost No Bad Days her in San Juan del Sur and I have since sailed an Ericson 38 down to replace an E-34 that was destroyed by the storm Nate. View attachment 25370

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
I use a Johnson Ultima Bilge Pump Switch. This takes up very little space in the bilge and has no moving parts. The first one I bought failed quickly, but the current one has lasted 8 years so far. I use the strum box in the bilge along with flexible hose led to a strainer and the pump mounted beneath the galley sink, as Ericson originally installed it.
Mike Jacker