• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Good day sails / short cruises within range of Seattle

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hi folks,

New to sailing in the PNW area. So far, my day trips have included an overnight single-handed trip to Dockton @ Vashon and over to Bainbridge for a burger at the Harbor Pub and back to Elliot Bay Marina.

What other good day / 2-day trips are available in the Puget Sound area? I know there's a whole ton to see and do, but would love some recommendations.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Seattle area. We kept our boat at Shilshole Marina for about a year and then at Harbor Island Marina, under the West Seattle bridges, for 13 more years.

Blake Island is always fun. There are a number of park buoys around the east, north and west sides. Some wakes from ferries. Anchoring can be tough as the bottom drops off steeply at least on the west side. Nice hiking throughout the island and there is a small harbor on the NW tip.

Poulsbo and Port Orchard/Bremerton are good destinations. Poulsbo has a large public guest marina and anchoring is good in Liberty Bay. It is shallow, but we've always been able to stay afloat. Great town with lots to eat and shops to visit. Port Orchard and Bremerton have guest moorage at the two marinas. Anchoring not recommended in that area. We usually stay at Port Orchard and use the foot ferry to Bremerton. We have heard that Bremerton marina can be tough to navigate due to currents and the wind can whistle through there too.

Edmonds Marina - easy walk to town. Lots to do and eat. Nature preserve near the marina. Small guest dock, best to call ahead. No anchorage.

Port of Kingston Marina - Guest moorage, WA State Ferry terminal, good eats and the cheapest diesel fuel we have found in the Seattle area. Again, call ahead in peak season for moorage. Limited anchoring space.

Manzanita Bay, Bainbridge Island - On the way to Poulsbo, over on the west side of the island. Anchorage only. Quiet. No easy shore access.

Port Ludlow - Guest moorage at the marina and a large anchoring space. Not many places to eat near the marina.

Blakely Harbor, at the southwest tip of Bainbridge Island. Medium deep anchorage until you get way inside. It's a popular spot, with views of the Seattle skyline. Beware the floating patches of green stuff. A little wave action gets in if it is windy.

Des Moines Marina. Very nice town. Call ahead for moorage when the salmon are running as the guest dock fills with fishing boats.

Gig Harbor - just a little further from Seattle than Dockton, but totally different. Narrow, short and shallow entrance, but not hard to navigate. A great destination with plenty to do and eat. Guest moorage can be tough to find, but anchoring is good in the large harbor. There is a public dock with power that is usually busy. First come first serve. The famous Tides Tavern is on the south side.

I jumped around a little but guide books for Puget Sound are plentiful. We have visited these places many times. Over the years, some places have changed a lot, usually for the better, and some just look the same, which is also nice.

GregB

Member II
Good short trips

Hi folks,

New to sailing in the PNW area. So far, my day trips have included an overnight single-handed trip to Dockton @ Vashon and over to Bainbridge for a burger at the Harbor Pub and back to Elliot Bay Marina.

What other good day / 2-day trips are available in the Puget Sound area? I know there's a whole ton to see and do, but would love some recommendations.

Hey Geoff -

I didn't know you moved her to EB. We are there too (J-19). Don't be shy, just don't come over when you are in a rage at the prior owner.

I can confirm that she really likes Gig Harbor for dinner, Kingston for a movie and Poulsbo for licorice, and bainbridge for Ice Cream. We also found some pretty cool stuff up behind Bremerton. There is a neat little bay that is really skinny to get into. Moon bay maybe?

G