• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1970 ericson 29 up in Sequim, Wa at John Wayne Marina

frick

Member III
Parent care

I feel your pain.
My mother movies for 6 years of care before she went into The Nursing Home.
I was a sailing game changer... Not more two week cruising... I became a day sailor with the occasional overnight.
But Now I am free to do more and my mom is safe.

Both can be done, it's just a bit different than the big dream.

Blessings

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Hi Doug, that is a very honorable and loving thing you are doing- taking in mom and day. I've been there, done that. Doing it is full of grace and stress.
May I humbly suggest that now is the time one really needs the therapy a sailboat offers. Like Frick says- day sails. Even getting away for a few hours to fart around on the boat, take a nap.

sequim salty

Thanks for the kind understanding words

Thanks guys,
dad is blind and mom has dementia.. so the plan needs to stay the same. the good new is i have a friend with a pearson 30 and he often will invite me along. thanks again.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Unfortunately, life can be hard. My Mother in Law Had Alzheimer's and paranoia so our last years with her were a nightmare.

You are not going to get your improvement money back when you sell. An alternative would be to bring the boat home and store it in the side or back yard if you have room. I did this with the San Juan 26 I had. I didn't use it for six years but that changed after she died. The storage at home is free and the boat doesn't tend to deteriorate there. Just throw a cover over it. In fact, it's still in The side yard as my daughter uses it but stores it here. She thinks Dad does a great job of watching it here. I figured that it would cost less to store it than to sell and later buy a new one. Plus, I really liked the boat and I had customized it to my needs. It would have been a lot of work to make another one to my tastes. The only reason I went to the larger boat was that my wife was constantly complaining about the need for a real cabin so she wouldn't feel like she was camping out. The result was the 34-2. No more complaints and it certainly meets my expectations in the sailing area.

You are at a tough crossroads. My decision to keep the boat was good for me when we were at the depths of head banging despair, it gave me a dream to hang on to knowing there was a better future ahead. These decisions are individual. Good luck.

Your neighbor in Port Angeles.