• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1987 Ericson 32-300 Survey

Mack8964

Member I
Hi All,

I am scheduled to have a survey done on a prospective purchase at the end of October and if all goes well I'll be an official member of the Ericson family. The boat seems to be in bristol condition and I am not expecting any major issues. My question is what should the surveyor/I be looking for when it comes to known issues of a boat of this vinatge. She is on the hard and has been winterized so I may not be able to test the engine unless I am willing to pay for a quick relaunch and re-winterization. What kind of questions should I be asking the surveyor before during and after the survey? Thanks in advance.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think you should launch the boat for a proper sea trial. Ownership is a big commitment and this is one of those due diligence things, mostly for your peace of mind and no regrets later.

The owner should agree to split the fees with you if you buy the boat.

Your negotiating position will be strong, since you are a "real" buyer, and his next window of sale is spring.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Agreed on taking it for a sea trial. Most of my sailing friends here would give me a "Are you insane?" look if I told them I was going to buy a boat without it. The engine is one of the most important and expensive parts of the boat (as well as failure prone and indicative of general maintenance) and I would refuse to buy one without cold starting the engine.

Otherwise, how old are the sails? Are there soft spots on the deck? Hull blisters? What's the general fit and finish look like? A good surveyor will know what they're looking for.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
My surveyor was a little passive about turning all the seacock handles. I'm sure no surveyor wants to be responsible for breaking a struck valve.

If the surveyor won't turn it and the owner won't turn it, consider it a $100+labor hit (and, a 32-3 has 10+/- of them).